1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 13:41
    Cheaper than full subscription.

-More (but not unlimited games).
    -One clan limit, limit to tournaments entered.
    -etc.

I'd personally still go for full subscription if I had a credit card or trusted PayPal. But might appeal to others.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 14:00
    Originally posted by dottewell

-etc.

I'd personally still go for full subscription if I had a credit card or trusted PayPal. But might appeal to others.
    Similar to my suggestion in the following thread:

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31704

might be some mileage in it...
  3. Earth Prime
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:56
    trusted PayPal.
    excuse me? If you won't trust a company that millions use without problems, how do you trust the cashier you hand your card to at a grocery store? Or a doctor presribing medication?
  4. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 03:00

-etc.

This would be great! 🙂
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Nov '05 05:21
    Originally posted by Coconut
    excuse me? If you won't trust a company that millions use without problems, how do you trust the cashier you hand your card to at a grocery store? Or a doctor presribing medication?
    Ha. Paypal will lock your account if you make a single transaction with an account that they deem worthy of investigation. You have no recourse against this. Numerous people I know have had this happen and still have had no resolution.

They will also shut down accounts that contain funds if they go unused for 3 months. Those funds are gone and so are the records of it so you can't even attempt to get it back.

Paypal do not answer to any regulatory body as they don't deem themselves a bank or a money transfer company or anything else that is covered under business practice law.
  6. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 03:12
    What? PayPal closes accounts if no transactions take place for 3 months? And the money left in the account is also gone? Are you sure? Any links to prove this correct. I am worried now if you are telling the truth and not being sarcastic.
  7. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 03:58
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Ha. Paypal will lock your account if you make a single transaction with an account that they deem worthy of investigation. You have no recourse against this. Numerous people I know have had this happen and still have had no resolution.

They will also shut down accounts that contain funds if they go unused for 3 months. Those funds are gone and so are th ...[text shortened]... a bank or a money transfer company or anything else that is covered under business practice law.
    Hmmm,

Have not had any problems with pay pal.

We bought a movie and it showed up as a copy. The seller was shut down and there was nothing more to do but watch the movie. Also I have let my account sit for over 3 months and have had no problems.

Must be a glich with your buddies.

RTh
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 06:151 edit
    www.paypalsucks.com
    www.paypalwarning.com

I don't have any details on the closing accounts due to inactivity however as it seems to be a problem few have experienced.

One of my favourite things they've done is freeze someone's donation account that they had setup to offset costs for a gaming server. Gaming as in Battlefield and other FPS games. Apparently because the title of the account included 'gaming' it was a gambling site. On top of this they charge $500 to the creator of the account for breaking the ToS.

No recourse. Simply brilliant.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 07:45
    I've had trouble with paypal, and so have millions of others.
    It can only get worse now ebay own it. Skype will probably be ruined by them now too.

I like the idea of cheaper subscribing under any name.
  10. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 17:37
    Re: Junior Subscription

I've thought to suggest this myself. What Russ needs to do is find out the number of simultaneous games played by current subscribers. Say this is 30. Then the junior subscription ($13.99, perhaps), would be good for 2/3 of that, say 20 games, because Russ wouldn't want to cut his own throat by giving away what he has _now_.

However, I suspect that the number of simul. games played by subscribers is much lower, on average, than 30, and a junior subscr. that only allows up to 10 games, say, might not be worthwhile enough to the potential subscriber.

Of course, subscribing also gets rid of the ads.

Another thought: Entering a tournament may generate a large number of simultaneous games for you, and this could easily push the junior subscriber over their limit. So there are some complexities here.
  11. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:041 edit
    How about having it this way:

Free users:
    as they are

Junior Subscribers:
    $12 per annual subscription, $2 per montly subcription
    No ads. No of maximum concurrent games: 15
    Can enter in tournaments, clans and sieges. However, no. of concurrent games will limit the junior subscribers from participating in those.

(Senior) subscribers:
    as they are

I would probably become a junior subscriber if something like this takes place. However, $30 per year a bit too much for me. I am sure there will be others who fall in a similar category.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 07:57
    How about just having a chess subscription?
    This person will be allowed to play unlimited concurrent games, but no clans, tourneys or sieges.

This could be half the subscription price or something.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 10:04
    Originally posted by Crowley
    How about just having a [b]chess subscription?
    This person will be allowed to play unlimited concurrent games, but no clans, tourneys or sieges.

This could be half the subscription price or something.[/b]
    Much better proposition, as restricting entry to tournaments according to a game limit, just ain't going to work.

Russ has said before that he's not going to introduce varying levels of subscription, but this seems to make sense, and who knows? THings can change.

D
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    THings can change.
    Like ol' Bob Dylan said....

kinda

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree