1. Fairfax, VA
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 22:36
    I sometimes spend several minutes planning my next move only to discover that my king is in check. It would be a great feature to have the square underneath the king that is in check to glow red like the squares do when you make an illegal move.
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 22:41
    Originally posted by FinelyThreaded
    I sometimes spend several minutes planning my next move only to discover that my king is in check. It would be a great feature to have the square underneath the king that is in check to glow red like the squares do when you make an illegal move.
    How annoying for you.
  3. London
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 00:54
    I can't help but laugh at this.
  4. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 04:37
    How about an attachment to your computer that reaches out and slaps you when you do that? 😕
    I like that idea.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 04:43
    Look at the game status, there you can read 'in check' if you are.
    If you don't notice this, then you get pink squares if you try to do any other move.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 07:301 edit
    While we're at it, I guess we'll need some glowing squares under any threatened pieces as well. And in front of any promotable pawn. And behind a pawn, if en passant is possible. And if they threaten my Queen, I want a flashing red square over her. I really hate it when I don't notice that.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 10:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    While we're at it, I guess we'll need some glowing squares under any threatened pieces as well. And in front of any promotable pawn. And behind a pawn, if en passant is possible. And if they threaten my Queen, I want a flashing red square over her. I really hate it when I don't notice that.
    And further, if you have a mate threat going, a blinking yellow flash should be...
    Aw, come on... The rules rule... if you can't se that your king is in check... can't you see by your own eyes that you can do an e.p... Then why not learn it in the hard way?
    The first time you lose a game because you don't know a particular rule, then is the time you really learn it.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 17:151 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And further, if you have a mate threat going, a blinking yellow flash should be...
    Aw, come on... The rules rule... if you can't se that your king is in check... can't you see by your own eyes that you can do an e.p... Then why not learn it in the hard way?
    The first time you lose a game because you don't know a particular rule, then is the time you really learn it.
    You see? You're getting right into the spirit of this. Blinking yellow mate threats. Great addition. That's the beauty of the internet. We don't have to learn things the 'hard' way anymore. And talk about making the game come alive. Which would you rather have, a dull, dead gray board, or one that's lit up like a christmas tree?

Just think: with enough practice, we'll all automatically 'see' all the lights even in our OTB games. In the future, we'll have GMs incorporating the color code in their instructional books ("this opening line fell into disuse because White's Queen is blinking for too long." )
  9. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 17:54
    On the contrary, why not make it a loss, if you try to make an impossible move?
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 10:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You see? You're getting right into the spirit of this. Blinking yellow mate threats. Great addition. That's the beauty of the internet. We don't have to learn things the 'hard' way anymore. And talk about making the game come alive. Which would you rather have, a dull, dead gray board, or one that's lit up like a christmas tree?

Just think: with enoug ...[text shortened]... is opening line fell into disuse because White's Queen is blinking for too long." )
    Actually I saw an advice for CC players to colourcode in the analysis. But as you rightly point out after the first time you see a coloured field coloured by the system it's outside help and thus 3b)
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:44
    Do you often have more than one king on the board which is why you need a red square under the king that is in check?
  13. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 20:54
    [i]But as you rightly point out after the first time you see a coloured field coloured by the system it's outside help and thus 3b)[/b]
    Actually, I think that 3c is more applicable to a number of the posts in this thread. Unfortunately.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 01:35
    Originally posted by MrJohn
    Actually, I think that 3c is more applicable to a number of the posts in this thread. Unfortunately.
    Fortunately, the standard for 3c) is much thicker-skinned than that. It's mostly for people who send repeated abusive PM's, I think. Simple forum arguments and ribbing don't usually qualify.
  15. the highway to hell
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 20:57
    yeah but, whats the problem? youre here to spend time figuring out moves right?
    just kidding, its actually a good idea. seconded 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree