1. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 23:06
    On the forums page I'd like to click on the last post title to arrange them in order of time..save me all that eye energy.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 16:16
    Originally posted by leestatic
    On the forums page I'd like to click on the last post title to arrange them in order of time..save me all that eye energy.
    What happens when you click the 'Last Post' title link?
    In my borwser I get to the last page in that thread immediately.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 16:232 edits
    Same as that here too FF.

Also:
    In mine, the threads are all listed in chronological order already - I don't understand what Mr leestatic means....??????
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 10:01
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Also:
    In mine, the threads are all listed in chronological order already - I don't understand what Mr leestatic means....??????
    I think he simply want the most recent posting first. Backward chronological order. I think it's good as it is, ...

... perhaps with the exception that I want the last posting in view when I've clicked the 'last post' link. Easily done with an anchor-mark at the bottom of each page, and directed to that anchor point in every 'last post' link.
  5. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 10:44

Also:
    On this page http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/index.php click last post to arrange the forums in order of last post.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 11:07
    Originally posted by leestatic
    On this page http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/index.php click last post to arrange the forums in order of last post.
    I'm even more baffled now. 😲
  7. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 11:42
    I'm even more baffled now. 😲
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/leestatic/Untitled.jpg
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 12:13
    It's the Public Forums index page he's talking about, he wants it to be in "last posted" sequence instead of General, Help, Only Chess and so on. What I can't figure out is why anyone would want a "last posted" sequence.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 12:481 edit
    Most other forums I visit have a link at the top for "new posts" [eg. since your last visit] or "todays posts" or both.
    If that's what you mean I agree it would be useful - mind you I think the forums part of this site is a serious let-down and is completely outdated.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 09:592 edits
    mind you I think the forums part of this site is a serious let-down and is completely outdated.
    In what way?

I think the forums here are awesome.
    They are lean and mean and the pages load quick - not everyone has fat-piped-broadband yet, you know.
    There are no distracting 'signatures', oversized images and huge avatars that get in the way of the content.
    And who needs a thousand different emoticons?

A proper search function would be nice - including one for specific clubs and clans, as well as letting me decide how many posts I'd like to see per page...
    A little more text formatting would be nice too, like 3 different text sizes, plus a way to underline.
    [url=http://www.google.com] Embedded URLs would be nice too...[/url] - although this isn't a big deal for FireFox users with Linkify.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 11:052 edits
    Originally posted by Crowley
    In what way?

I think the forums here are awesome.
    They are lean and mean and the pages load quick - not everyone has fat-piped-broadband yet, you know.
    I visit several other non-chess forums, mostly Vbulletin type [by own choice] and the difference is huge. [most of them have a choice for showing signatures and avatars - I don't like them either]
    I don't mean in the speed or content but in the features and the way they function.
    To me, these forums resemble the "invisionfree" type forums. 🙁
    But even Invision have far less restrictions. I'm amazed that there is no way to automatically subscribe to threads you participate in. I've never, in the last few years at least, come across another forum that doesn't have that feature. [even YouTube comments can be set so you are notified of a reply]

When you first look at the forums here it all seems too small - after a few weeks you get used to it and forget how awful it looked.
    You have to admit - compared to the rest of the site these forums are not exactly "easy-on-the eye".

I do understand and accept that the forums are not the main priority here and that the PTB do a great job on the whole. 🙂
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 11:581 edit
    I visit several other non-chess forums, mostly Vbulletin type [by own choice] and the difference is huge. [most of them have a choice for showing signatures and avatars - I don't like them either]
    I don't mean in the speed or content but in the features and the way they function.
    To me, these forums resemble the "invisionfree" type forums. 🙁
    Bu forums are not the main priority here and that the PTB do a great job on the whole. 🙂
    Sure, there are forums that have cool features, but those features can also easily just become bloat.

I also visit a fair amount of forums regularly, one of which I'm also a moderator on and IMHO opinion these forums with the addition of the Ourobouros GM scripts makes this place pretty close to perfect.
    The thread sub idea does have merit, but I run through the forums quickly in the mornings and the RHP greasy monkey icons work fine for me.

What other features do you have in mind?
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 12:38
    ...and the RHP greasy monkey icons work fine for me.

What other features do you have in mind?
    I use FF and the greasemonkey scripts too.

The ability to post links would be a good improvement. I know linkification, which I use, covers that for me but the links I leave are not links unless the reader uses linkification or linkify too.

Attachments and posting of pictures would be handy though not ultra-important - I know people will complain that it could be abused but almost everywhere else manages to overcome that possibility. I'm also a moderator on another [music] forum and we manage OK with that situation; we can simply delete or edit them..

The main thing I miss is the subscribing to a thread feature.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 18:271 edit
    but I run through the forums quickly in the mornings...
    ...walk through them in the afternoon after your lunch of wild boar stuffed with apples and blood sausage, and slowly roll through them burping in the evening after your dinner of baby antelope, served with a side of Snickers?

D
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 07:10
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    ...walk through them in the afternoon after your lunch of wild boar stuffed with apples and blood sausage, and slowly roll through them burping in the evening after your dinner of baby antelope, served with a side of Snickers?

D
    We don't have wild boar, but Asterix assures me warthog tastes almost identical to it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree