1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:531 edit
    In the forums, the inability to have postings preserve spacing can be very awkward, for instance when trying to post a table or an example program.

Would it be possible to have a mode which deleted trailing whitespace on each line, but didn't mess with leading or intermediate space? For instance with a [hardspace] command, which could work like:

[hardspace]
    .....If............The
    .....Dots........Were
    .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still..........Line
    .....Up
    [/hardspace]
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    In the forums, the inability to have postings preserve spacing can be very awkward, for instance when trying to post a table or an example program.

Would it be possible to have a mode which deleted trailing whitespace on each line, but didn't mess with leading or intermediate space? For instance with a [hardspace] command, which could work like:

[ha ...[text shortened]... .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still..........Line
    .....Up
    [/hardspace]
    [courier]It can be solved with an alternative typeface. Like courier. Then every character would take up equal space.
    There is a tag in the html codes (I think, or is it [typeface]?) that looks like this that gives the wanted result.[/courier]
  3. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 21:56

[ha ...[text shortened]... .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still..........Line
    .....Up
    [/hardspace]
    The HTML tag we need here is the <pre>. In the same way that [ b] gives us the <b> tag we should have a [pre] to give us the <pre> tag.

The best you can get at the moment is by using the [ quote ] tag - like this -
    [ quote]
    .....If............The
    .....Dots........Were
    .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still..........Line
    .....Up

[/ quote][/b]

All it does is provide some indenting (can be nested) - but it's no good for table formatting.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:222 edits
    Originally posted by orangutan
    The HTML tag we need here is the <pre>. In the same way that [b][ b] gives us the <b> tag we should have a [pre] to give us the <pre> tag.

The best you can get at the moment is by using the [ quote ] tag - like this -
    [ quote]
    [quote].....If............The
    .....Dots........Were
    .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still.... ...[text shortened]...
    All it does is provide some indenting (can be nested) - but it's no good for table formatting.[/b]
    Thanks Orangutan. [ quote ] sort of works, but inserts an irritating automatic empty line. I didn't know about the html tag <pre> before, but that is indeed what we need, I've recommended your post.
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [courier]It can be solved with an alternative typeface. Like courier. Then every character would take up equal space.
    There is a tag in the html codes (I think, or is it [typeface]?) that looks like this that gives the wanted result.[/courier]
    The problem is that multiple consecutive spaces are turned into 1 space automatically by the conversion into HTML, irrespective of what font they are in.
  6. e4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:406 edits
    You mean like this?

is this what you mean?
            I can do it. But I am clever.

If       the     dots    were     spaces
          then   these  do      line      up

I bet you would love to know how I do that?
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:57
    OK I'll tell you - it's a pain but it works.

Hold down the ALT key and type on the number pad 255.
    release the ALT key and the space produced stays.

You can get other symbols - ½ ¼ is 171 and 172.
    Some work - some don't. The space thingy works.
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 19:02
    Wow! Thanks!
  9. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '09 02:13

.....If............The
    .....Dots........Were
    .....Spaces.....These
    .....Rows........Would
    .....Still..........Line
    .....Up
    William Shatner?? 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree