1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:14
    Very often new users ask how to 'delete' their profile from the site. They are told they can't, and told to shut down their email etc.

How about under settings, or somepleace, an option to leave the site.

Click the button.

Sure you want to leave the site?

Could you give us a reason why?

Once they fill and click confirm, their email is shut off, games are resigned, profile and images removed, password is changed.

I think this would help.

P-
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:21
    We have considered this, but need to make it bullet proof, and do all we can to avoid those "oh no, I just left myself logged in at the library, and now my account has gone" moments.

It will happen though, it is just not as straightforward to do this properly as you might think. Being logged in is not enough alone to make this decision safely.

-Russ
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 17:26
    Originally posted by Russ
    We have considered this, but need to make it bullet proof, and do all we can to avoid those "oh no, I just left myself logged in at the library, and now my account has gone" moments.

It will happen though, it is just not as straightforward to do this properly as you might think. Being logged in is not enough alone to make this decision safely.

-Russ
    Ask for the user name and password to be typed in? If you are logged at the library other people wouldn't know these things, right?

P-
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 17:37
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Ask for the user name and password to be typed in? If you are logged at the library other people wouldn't know these things, right?

P-
    Email confirmation is the way to go.

D
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 17:44
    Passwords can be received via email, email addresses can be changed once logged in.

So, we need password protection for email changes.

What will probably happen is people can choose to close their account, then they go in a queue (site access is lost, but account untouched), then after a week, if we hear nothing from someone complaining of lack of site access, the account gets cleared down.

-Russ
  6. Standard memberskryking
    Seeking the Present
    Plainfield, IL
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:30
    Please say that deleting an account won't remove a users games. It would be a shame to lose them in light of the new games explorer feature.

Skryking
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:331 edit

-Russ
    Simple, ask for password verification before it goes through...

Edit: read the rest of the thread now...
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:48
    Originally posted by skryking
    Please say that deleting an account won't remove a users games. It would be a shame to lose them in light of the new games explorer feature.

Skryking
    We will archive all games, forever.

(Clause : The above statment is not binding in anyway)

-Russ
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 17:53
    We will archive all games, forever.

(Clause : The above statment is not binding in anyway)

-Russ
    I didn't think you'd erase them... that is why we tell users to just leave, their name and games will stay.

Off Topic for Russ....

Games Explorer. That is based on MOVES, right? Will 2 different ways to get to the same position show up with different results the way this is done? Should it not be based on FEN?

When do we get an instant link from our game right to the position in the explorer?

P-
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 23:19
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

Games Explorer. That is based on MOVES, right? Will 2 different ways to get to the same position show up with different results the way this is done? Should it not be based on FEN?
    You get the same games by different transpositions (if you don't trust me try 1. Nc3 Nf6 2. Nf3 Nc6 compared to 1. Nf3 Nc6 2. Nc3 Nf6). While the pgn string at the bottom will be different the games are searched by FEN so the stats are the same and you will have access to all games that reached that position no matter how they got there.

And Russ did I read you correctly? That currently if I left myself logged in someone could change my email address (without having my password) and then have my password emailed to any address they want?
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 13:36
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You get the same games by different transpositions (if you don't trust me try 1. Nc3 Nf6 2. Nf3 Nc6 compared to 1. Nf3 Nc6 2. Nc3 Nf6). While the pgn string at the bottom will be different the games are searched by FEN so the stats are the same and you will have access to all games that reached that position no matter how they got there.

And Russ did I ...[text shortened]... ddress (without having my password) and then have my password emailed to any address they want?
    How do you think i stole this account dummie 🙄
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 14:45

And Russ did I ...[text shortened]... ddress (without having my password) and then have my password emailed to any address they want?
    Yes. Never leave yourself logged in on public machines.

-Russ
  13. The sky
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 16:10
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    How do you think i stole this account dummie 🙄
    So that is why you resigned all your games! You probably don't even know how to play chess! 😲

😉
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 17:02
    That currently if I left myself logged in someone could change my email address (without having my password) and then have my password emailed to any address they want?
    Whoever continue an open session from anyone else has the choice to own that account as long as he wishes. He can alter your email and your password, he can resign all you games, he can threat the pope himself in your name - he can do whatever he likes and you can't do anything about it.

Moreover, you cannot even open a new account, TOS 3a forbids it. You are excluded from RHP for the rest of your life.
  15. Swansea
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 18:12
    Will leaving myself logged on at home leave me at risk from being excluded from the site and having my password etc changed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree