1. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    06 Nov '04 12:26
    This is very sad and stupid 😉, but sometimes players wish to quit redhotpawn.
    There should be an option to do so. Then the nickname could be changed (into something like "left0001&quot😉, a notice could be added in the profile and all his/her games, a form to mail this person could be added (to reach it), ...
    I think after the emailverification Russ knows quite good who is still active and who is not.
    th
  2. scotland
    Moves
    07 Nov '04 13:55
    Originally posted by thire
    There should be an option to do so. Then the nickname could be changed (into something like "left0001"😉, a notice could be added in the profile and all his/her games, a form to mail this person could be added (to reach it), ...
    I think after the emailverification Russ knows quite good who is still active and who is not.
    th
    I TOTALLY AGREE
  3. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    09 Nov '04 17:27
    There should be an option to do so. Then the nickname could be changed (into something like "left0001"😉, a notice could be added in the profile and all his/her games, a form to mail this person could be added (to reach it), ...
    th
    rec
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    10 Nov '04 12:25
    thank you guys 🙂
    a candidate for this would be someone with a very nice userid (what the hell is [i]a very nice userid[/]?) http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=100000
    th
  5. West Virginia
    Moves
    10 Nov '04 21:31
    th
    I just wonder if the user name change would not really cause chaos with the database. Maybe another solution could accomplish the desire without causing problems with the database. Maybe an extension of the inactive users could accomplish it.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Nov '04 21:52
    Originally posted by Drax946
    I just wonder if the user name change would not really cause chaos with the database. Maybe another solution could accomplish the desire without causing problems with the database. Maybe an extension of the inactive users could accomplish it.
    I think (hope?) thire isn't referring to the username, rather the nick in the forum view.

Thire will have to clarify, but I don't see any sense in changing username cos you wouldn't have a clue who it was.

D
  7. London
    Moves
    11 Nov '04 00:06
    Originally posted by Drax946
    No, the database is keyed on the numeric user id. Russ allows players to fix spelling mistakes in their user names. He has also allowed (and in one notorious case forced) changes to offensive or otherwise unfortunate user names.

As I understand it, thire has in mind that users who have left the site should be given a special form of username. Their old name would then be available for reuse. Their profile could always be altered to read 'This player was formerly known as xxx'.

However, if the name was reused it would cause confusion to other players, but if it wasn't I'm not sure what the benefit would be, other than to highlight permanently inactive players. I think that that could be done better by giving them a cloud, a tombstone or some other synbol instead of a star.
  8. West Virginia
    Moves
    11 Nov '04 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    No, the database is keyed on the numeric user id. Russ allows players to fix spelling mistakes in their user names. He has also allowed (and in one notorious case forced) changes to offensive or otherwise unfortunate user names.

As I ...[text shortened]... them a cloud, a tombstone or some other synbol instead of a star.
    I like the idea of a tombstone in place of the star! There would also have to be a way of cutting communication to the ID. If someone tried to message them, a "User unavailable" page or something to keep from wasting site space.

I'm just curious as to how important it is to be able to re-use the username? If user Bob raised a ruckus and left, and a new user Bob shows up, isn't it possible new user Bob would receive new ruckus mail meant for long-gone-user Bob? I just chose username Bob as a generic name, and I'm not implying user Bob, if he exists on this site, causes any ruckus or is planning to leave. 😛
  9. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    11 Nov '04 08:50
    I thought about changeing the username, but perhaps you guys are right and this idea isn't very good...
    But a "left"-marker or soemthing (and other things like a profile message, ...) would be good to have.
    th
  10. funky town
    Moves
    18 Nov '04 19:06
    th
    im with you
  11. UK
    Moves
    19 Nov '04 20:10
    It'd probably be quite nice that, if someone did take the trouble to mark themselves as left, that it would automatically resign that person's games, all at the same rating. Or something.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree