1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 22:56
    We can't make links here. It's awkward, especially considering the vast amount of chess talk and off-topic debating that goes on here.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 23:48
    Could be "itchy", part of the reasons why I think the mods are so crazy that they are, is in fear of lawsuits. In the United States, for example, old fashioned religious mothers seem content in suing websites at will if there is the slightest of material they deem offensive their teenage sons may look at. Such lawsuits got so much out of hand, that another chess site, like Gamknot, was forced to shut down it's social forums, it was either that, or have a "forum" so tightly moderated that no social chat was allowed at all. So if Russ simply let's us freely post links, and as much as I like that idea, with say, a RHP logo beside it, and one of the links may be offensive, Russ will have to call a defense lawyer, and I'm not kiding.
  3. Montréal
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 01:35
    Originally posted by Exiled
    Could be "itchy", part of the reasons why I think the mods are so crazy that they are, is in fear of lawsuits. In the United States, for example, old fashioned religious mothers seem content in suing websites at will if there is the slightest of material they deem offensive their teenage sons may look at. Such lawsuits got so much out of hand, that another ...[text shortened]... one of the links may be offensive, Russ will have to call a defense lawyer, and I'm not kiding.
    Couldn't this be avoided by simply adding a disclaimer somewhere? Besides, if said religious mother copied and pasted a URL someone posted, wouldn't she have the same grounds for a lawsuit? Sounds crazy to me.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 09:46
    Links are already posted willy-nilly in any case, via copy and paste.
    Not sure why Russ wouldn't want to implement it.... I'm sure he would have done so already if he thought the idea had merit.
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 09:54
    But links to RHP threads (much like the game link function) would definitely be a plus, the main reason being the 4 alternate universes RHP lives in (but also just to simplify cross-referencing threads).
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 12:35
    Originally posted by Toe
    But links to RHP threads (much like the game link function) would definitely be a plus, the main reason being the 4 alternate universes RHP lives in (but also just to simplify cross-referencing threads).
    Sure, that could be a good idea. But we should only be able to reference threads then.
    I think Russ doesn't want to have links to outside sites because of the referer value. Not sure what legal, site performance etc. aspects stopped him from giving us that functionality.

Maybe I'm just wrong đŸ˜›

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree