1. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 21:15
    Now, thats's being constructive...!

Can you argument why the idea is not as wonderful?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 01:05
    The site isn't in need of a sudden injection of capital (that lifetime subs would grant) and the server bills will still need to be paid next year.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 07:002 edits
    Here's a better suggestion.....make it free.
    The adverts the non-subscribers put up with probably cover the servers costs. The subscribers, at a rough guestimate by looking at the stars there must be a minimum of 5 thousand [out of 1OO thousand members] pay $3O, so times that comes to $15O thousand per year. Don't know any servers that cost that much.

[2]
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 09:46
    Most subscribers don't pay 30 dollar. I only need to pay 20, most even much less and 'some wing-less stars' don't need to pay at all anymore. It all depends on the time you subscribed and the price at that time. So if your estimate in quantity of subscribers is accurate, the income will be far less.

Does anyone know how much it costs to server a site like this, with all the traffic? Will it be more than, say, 5000 or 10000 dollar / euro?
  5. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 11:24
    Subs aren't just here to cover the server costs, I am sure Russ has to eat too.
    As for the large injection of cash goes, there are other ways to achieve this with a higher sucess rate.

The pick up rate of a lifetime membership would be low as it makes no financial sense to a user to buy a long membership up front.

If I have $100, then I'd rather buy an RHP annual sub for $20, and spend the remaining $80 on something else, rather than spend $100 right now. Even if I was a member for many years I'd rather pay the $20 annually.
  6. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 17:04
    How do you all subscribe by paying $20 annually? The site mentions $30 annually.

I think RHP should not charge its users. The free option should be able to pay more than 6 games, join tournaments, clans and sieges or atleast 2 of these 4 premium featuresbut supported with advertisements. The paid option should be something like $12 per year, no advertisements.

RHP is a great website though! Chess lovers love playing at RHP.
  7. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 17:35
    Originally posted by yashsr
    How do you all subscribe by paying $20 annually? The site mentions $30 annually.

I think RHP should not charge its users. The free option should be able to pay more than 6 games, join tournaments, clans and sieges or atleast 2 of these 4 premium featuresbut supported with advertisements. The paid option should be something like $12 per year, no advertisements.

RHP is a great website though! Chess lovers love playing at RHP.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA brilliant.

You crack me up.

(now subscribe!!)
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 01:50
    Originally posted by knightwest
    HAHAHAHAHAHA brilliant.

You crack me up.

(now subscribe!!)
    Is there such a word as Nonsubists [along the lines of racist, sexist etc]....if there is, would you consider yourself to be one?
    😲🙂
  9. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 08:10
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Is there such a word as Nonsubists [along the lines of racist, sexist etc]....if there is, would you consider yourself to be one?
    😲🙂
    I don't know, I have absolutely no problem with people playing chess here for free, but it always seems to be the non-subscribers who demand either more advanced features, or, the pay-features for free.
    The second part especially makes me laugh!

(now subscribe)

I am aware, that it is difficult for some people to subscribe, so please don't take personally.
  10. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 15:35
    Can somebody please tell me without any sarcasm, what is the actual subscription rate? Somebody says its $20, somebody says its even lesser, however, I can see $30 per year written on the website! Whats the deal?
  11. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 15:50
    Originally posted by yashsr
    Can somebody please tell me without any sarcasm, what is the actual subscription rate? Somebody says its $20, somebody says its even lesser, however, I can see $30 per year written on the website! Whats the deal?
    I seem to remember paying $20 about a year ago, but it might have gone up to $30.
  12. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 19:33
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    And everytime you put forward a crap idea that serves no purpose I'll tell you so.

This is one such time.
    And every time you open your mouth it's to slag an idea off. How about YOU coming up with an idea instead of just sitting on your fat backside and criticise others who, at least try to come up with an idea for the members of THIS CLUB, and to actually help THIS CLUB's long tern survival.
  13. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 19:39
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Or even better. We coul pay once a year. This feature would give the user the bang for his buck. Should he decide not to come back after 1 year, than he doesn't pay again or for years he hasn't used. Also, the site admin doesn't lose revenue from those dedicated ones who may stay long term. How about it Russ, paying yearly sound like a good idea to you?
    So you sat there and had no idea of what to write, either for or against the idea. So you write a sarcastic reply instead.

How old are you... 8, 9, I'd say 10 at the most, if your sarcastic reply is anything to go by.
  14. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The site isn't in need of a sudden injection of capital (that lifetime subs would grant) and the server bills will still need to be paid next year.
    Which is why I have already said "I wasn't aware that anyone had a lifetime membership and I have no idea of the profitablilty of this club. Nor do I have access to the books and as far as I or you know perhaps Russ is struggling to keep heads above water, then my idea would of been a feasable idea.

Until I am able to have access to these areas then I will do my best to come with an idea for the good of the site."
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 03:16
    Originally posted by TheSphinx
    And every time you open your mouth it's to slag an idea off. How about YOU coming up with an idea instead of just sitting on your fat backside and criticise others who, at least try to come up with an idea for the members of THIS CLUB, and to actually help THIS CLUB's long tern survival.
    In the past I have put forward ideas for the site. Some were well recieved, others weren't. When one of my ideas wasn't weel recieved I didn't continue arguing the point.

RHP is profitable using it's current business model. Why switch to one that may cause the site to fail in a years time?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree