22 Oct '05 11:24
  2. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 11:31
    Originally posted by TheSphinx
    Sorry about that!

Russ, how about a lifetime membership fee? Obviously there are a couple of drawbacks to this idea, ie: Should anyone be caught cheating then they should be banned from the site and NO refund whatsoever. I'm sure that could be added to the rules of RHP without too much problem. That again would have to be up for discussion, but perhaps a ban for one year.

My reason for this idea is to generate a large income from the players that sign up.

Okay, I'm ready to be pulled to pieces now.....
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 12:13
    Actually a nice idea. It should be based on the number of years a normal average subscriber is a subscriber up here. Say it is two to three years, so the lifetime subscription will cost a dollar / euro or ninety, or a bit more, let's say a hundred or so. Of course quite a lot of money for an online game though...

But, there really need to be some assurance in the future development of this site. Are the initiatives planning on developing RHP for the next few years and what direction are they planning to take RHP into. Those are questions that arise with me if I will commit me to this place for multiple years. I think I might still prefer an annual subscription and an annual escape possibility.
  4. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 14:291 edit
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Actually a nice idea. It should be based on the number of years a normal average subscriber is a subscriber up here. Say it is two to three years, so the lifetime subscription will cost a dollar / euro or ninety, or a bit more, let's say a hundred or so. Of course quite a lot of money for an online game though...

But, there really need to be some assurance ...[text shortened]... ple years. I think I might still prefer an annual subscription and an annual escape possibility.
    Sorry what I didn't make clear was that the 'Lifetime Subscription' should be a maximum of 10-15 years, otherwise the big question of cost does rise it's head.

For example someone joins at age 18, (and on the assumption that RHP will survive) his lifetime membership is a very possible 70 years. Whereas an old bugger like me at 49 with a life expectancy of 20 years..... you see where I'm going?
    Therefore a complete lifetime membership should be based on, for example, a 15 year membership fee, you should only have to pay for about 12 years to make it an viable for the people who decide to take this option.

I know I haven't explained this too well (due to my medication) but I feel sure there is someone out there (rhp?) who could really sort out a sensible and feasable way of doing this. Sorry Nut I really am seeinf two screens at the moment so I'll sign off and let somone else untangle ths mess. (Sorry!)
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 14:43
    I really don't think RHP will last another 15 years. Or that anyone is dedicated enough to be here for 15 years, let alone paying for it and just hoping for the best the next few years that it will be worthwhile.

I really don't think it is very wise to engage yourself on long term commitments, especially on something changing so very fast.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 14:46
    Sorry what I didn't make clear was that the 'Lifetime Subscription' should be a maximum of 10-15 years, otherwise the big question of cost does rise it's head.

For example someone joins at age 18, (and on the assumption that RHP will survive) his lifetime membership is a very possible 70 years. Whereas an old bugger like me at 49 with a life expect ...[text shortened]... einf two screens at the moment so I'll sign off and let somone else untangle ths mess. (Sorry!)
    I think if this is priced right, and the future of the site is assured then this is a fair suggestion.

The only trouble I can see for the site admins is deciding the longterm future for this site, and therefore what income they would need from such an offer, and what extra clauses would be acceptable in terms of refunds etc if the site (or brand) was ever sold on / closed down, and as mentioned above in the event of breach of T's & C's by a user.

If memory serves me right, those subscribers without wings have lifetime membership from the early days of the site. I think others would be interested in paying a one off fee for longterm use of this service, I would consider it myself. (Note: Are there any stats on the numbers of wingless subscribers who are still around vs those that have left?)

Advantage for this site is that it would increase the 'stickiness' of subscribers and provide a short term boost of capital - i.e. If you are paid up you are more likely to play here, and the initial rush of subscribers if the service was launched would see an injection of funds into the business (remembering though that these users will not then contribute again in terms of subscription fees).

The site admins might also consider different levels of regular subscription as a way of increasing revenue - although this could become complicated:

E.g.

Open invites only $20 per year
    Open invite + Tournaments $25 per year
    Open invite + Clans $25 per year
    Open invite + forums $25 per year
    Open invite + Seiges $25 per year
    Open invite + 2 of the above $30 per year
    Open invite + all of the above $35 per year

Anyway, I digress....

Andy
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 14:47
    I really don't think RHP will last another 15 years.
    What makes you think that?
  8. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 16:18
    Originally posted by rhb
    What makes you think that?
    Can you actually imagine one person or two persons dedicating their time to a website like this for another fifteen years? Maybe Russ and / or Chris may sell RHP. Then you just have to wish for the best what will happen then, if the same directions will be sailed. Not all take-overs are friendly and for the best for a community / 'employees'.
  9. Joined
    10 Jul '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 17:39
    Can you actually imagine one person or two persons dedicating their time to a website like this for another fifteen years? Maybe Russ and / or Chris may sell RHP. Then you just have to wish for the best what will happen then, if the same directions will be sailed. Not all take-overs are friendly and for the best for a community / 'employees'.
    great idea!! all the time this site is alive and kicking, i will always be here its the best online chess site by far!! what about a 5 year subscrption fee?? any ideas anyone.................
  10. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 20:08
    Or even better. We coul pay once a year. This feature would give the user the bang for his buck. Should he decide not to come back after 1 year, than he doesn't pay again or for years he hasn't used. Also, the site admin doesn't lose revenue from those dedicated ones who may stay long term. How about it Russ, paying yearly sound like a good idea to you?
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 05:35
    Sorry about that!

Russ, how about a lifetime membership fee? Obviously there are a couple of drawbacks to this idea, ie: Should anyone be caught cheating then they should be banned from the site and NO refund whatsoever. I'm sure that could be added to the rules of RHP without too much problem. That again would have to be up for discussion, but perh ...[text shortened]... rge income from the players that sign up.

Okay, I'm ready to be pulled to pieces now.....
    Some members do indeed have lifetime memberships. The ones who helped the site get underway back in the beginning while it was costing Russ money to run.

Now that the site is going a yearly membership seems like the best model to follow? The site isn't in need of a sudden injection of capital (that lifetime subs would grant) and the server bills will still need to be paid next year.
  12. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 09:32
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Some members do indeed have lifetime memberships. The ones who helped the site get underway back in the beginning while it was costing Russ money to run.

Now that the site is going a yearly membership seems like the best model to follow? The site isn't in need of a sudden injection of capital (that lifetime subs would grant) and the server bills will still need to be paid next year.
    Surely this is the idea of a 'Site Ideas' forum. I wasn't aware that anyone had a lifetime membership and I have no idea of the profitablilty of this club. Nor do I have access to the books and as far as I or you know perhaps Russ is struggling to keep heads above water, then my idea would of been a feasable idea.

Until I am able to have access to these areas then I will do my best to come with an idea for the good of the site.
  13. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 10:29
    I wasn't aware that anyone had a lifetime membership
    Look at the stars next to the names. Those without wings are the lifetime members. Those with wings pay annually (or monthly).
  14. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 10:361 edit
    Look at the stars next to the names. Those without wings are the lifetime members. Those with wings pay annually (or monthly).
    Well well well. You learn something new everyday.

Cheers 🙂
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 20:05
    Surely this is the idea of a 'Site Ideas' forum. I wasn't aware that anyone had a lifetime membership and I have no idea of the profitablilty of this club. Nor do I have access to the books and as far as I or you know perhaps Russ is struggling to keep heads above water, then my idea would of been a feasable idea.

Until I am able to have access to these areas then I will do my best to come with an idea for the good of the site.
    And everytime you put forward a crap idea that serves no purpose I'll tell you so.

This is one such time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree