Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    27 Jul '09 15:08
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
  2. Standard member O Artem O
    ParTizan
    27 Jul '09 16:10
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
    why would you do that?
  3. 27 Jul '09 17:24
    Originally posted by O Artem O
    why would you do that?
    i'm guessing it had something to do with something that starts with a g and ends with a y. there is also an a in there somewhere.....
  4. 27 Jul '09 17:24 / 1 edit
  5. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    27 Jul '09 17:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
    That has been suggested some time back now. I guess they didn't really want to put a restriction on amount of threads per person.

    I think it might be a good idea!


    We all have our opinions on what is good threads and bad. Why would we want to restrict all the good threads? What are the good threads?
  6. 27 Jul '09 22:54
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
    14 forums, 5 threads per forums = 70 threads

    Why bother limiting unless you make it say 1 thread per day.

    Then we get the "duplicate" accounts starting several threads.
  7. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    27 Jul '09 23:09
    Originally posted by adramforall
    14 forums, 5 threads per forums = 70 threads

    Why bother limiting unless you make it say 1 thread per day.

    Then we get the "duplicate" accounts starting several threads.
    I believe multiple accounts are still against the TOS! So that would be taking a big chance.

    Did I mis-count? I thought there were 13 forums.
  8. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    27 Jul '09 23:40
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I believe multiple accounts are still against the TOS! So that would be taking a big chance.

    Did I mis-count? I thought there were 13 forums.
    Some folk have several dozen forums available to them if you include clan & club forums.
  9. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Jul '09 00:41
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Some folk have several dozen forums available to them if you include clan & club forums.
    No, we were just talking about the Public forums.
  10. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    28 Jul '09 07:18
    Originally posted by O Artem O
    why would you do that?
    first, it would make people think about the threads they're starting, and maybe raise the quality a bit.

    second, it would stop certain people with too much spare time on their hands from taking over the forums by starting thread after thread after thread, every time some half-baked idea popped into their head.
  11. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    28 Jul '09 07:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    14 forums, 5 threads per forums = 70 threads

    Why bother limiting unless you make it say 1 thread per day.

    Then we get the "duplicate" accounts starting several threads.
    five per week works out at less than one per day.

    but yeah, maybe five per week is too high. and the problem would be that you'd get one or two people who would insist on starting exactly N threads every week.
  12. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    28 Jul '09 07:21
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    That has been suggested some time back now. I guess they didn't really want to put a restriction on amount of threads per person.

    I think it might be a good idea!


    We all have our opinions on what is good threads and bad. Why would we want to restrict all the good threads? What are the good threads?
    you're right, we don't want to restrict the good threads. but who comes up with more than five good threads in any public forum in a week? my answer would be 'no-one'.
  13. Subscriber Kewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    28 Jul '09 07:49
    If a thread is uninteresting nobody responds and it quickly falls to the bottom of the pile. Why fuss about it? Better to concentrate on making sure that interesting threads keep on going.
  14. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    28 Jul '09 15:11
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    If a thread is uninteresting nobody responds and it quickly falls to the bottom of the pile. Why fuss about it? Better to concentrate on making sure that interesting threads keep on going.
    the change would be easy to make, and would improve at least gf. so why not make it?

    there are very few interesting threads in gf, and this might help remedy that situation by making people think a bit more before starting one.
  15. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Jul '09 15:33
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    you're right, we don't want to restrict the good threads. but who comes up with more than five good threads in any public forum in a week? my answer would be 'no-one'.
    Again, what are the good threads? Everyone and their dog has an idea of what a good thread it is, and it can vary just like night & day. What a good thread is to me, could be a thread that sucks to you, and vise versa.