1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 01:16
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    13 if you don't count developers forum.
    14 if you do.😛
    so 14 in total, thank you for clearing that up.

😠
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 02:262 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    so 14 in total, thank you for clearing that up.

😠
    OK, I was pressing the forum that doesn't have it. 😳
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 05:20
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    OK, I was pressing the forum that doesn't have it. 😳
    am i alone in thinking that it's kinda sad that we can't even agree how many forums there are?
  4. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 05:24
    Again, what are the good threads? Everyone and their dog has an idea of what a good thread it is, and it can vary just like night & day. What a good thread is to me, could be a thread that sucks to you, and vise versa.
    that's true, and i think in the main kewpie's suggestion that the 'market' will decide is a good one. most people don't start too many threads, but when you see 7-8 threads out of 30 on page one started by a single user, it's going it bit far i think.

imposing a limit would prompt users such as this to think a bit harder about what the threads they start, just as imposing a limit on recs (i hear they used to be unlimited) would have had the effect of making people think about which posts they will spend their recs on.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 00:51
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    am i alone in thinking that it's kinda sad that we can't even agree how many forums there are?
    Most likely! 😛
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 00:56
    that's true, and i think in the main kewpie's suggestion that the 'market' will decide is a good one. most people don't start too many threads, but when you see 7-8 threads out of 30 on page one started by a single user, it's going it bit far i think.

imposing a limit would prompt users such as this to think a bit harder about what the threads they star ...[text shortened]... ave had the effect of making people think about which posts they will spend their recs on.
    IF the 7-8 thread are good threads, I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if they are better than the other 22 on the page. 😉
  7. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 16:00
    IF the 7-8 thread are good threads, I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if they are better than the other 22 on the page. 😉
    IF the 7-8 were good threads, i wouldn't have started this one.😛
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 19:001 edit
    IF the 7-8 were good threads, i wouldn't have started this one.😛
    Why don't you start "Good Threads" instead of complaining about others who at least try to do so. Just because you personally don't like them, and a few of your cohorts agree, doesn't make them bad.

Perhaps you can direct me to some of your interesting threads?
  9. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 02:20
    it's mor a question of particular users starting a thread every time they have a brain fart. as i've said before, putting a limit on resources makes people think a bit about how they use those resources.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 03:261 edit
    it's mor a question of particular users starting a thread every time they have a brain fart. as i've said before, putting a limit on resources makes people think a bit about how they use those resources.
    Are you talking about the Pee & Poo threads in the General forum?
  11. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 07:081 edit
    Are you talking about the Pee & Poo threads in the General forum?
    i'm not trying to point at particular threads and label them good or bad - just to discourage particular users from treating gf as their own personal bs farm.

if you think the p&p threads aren't so good, then perhaps you can accept that if there was a limit on the number of threads that could be started, that particular user may well have chosen to use his quota on something else. of course, there are no guarantees.
  12. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 05:022 edits
    i still think this could solve, or perhaps merely reduce, the problem.

but it still wouldn't stop a certain user from continually bumping his own threads back to page one.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 20:29
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
    has its positives and negatives

positive:
    1. People think before creating a thread so the threads could be "stronger" (term very open to debate)

Negatives:
    1. Can you really put a limit on creativity?
    2. Forums could become really dead - as it is a small amout of users actually post on the forums so this idea could make the forums even more dead (as the active forum people may go further more into the private forums)
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:58
    how about a limit, in any one forum, of N new threads started per week? with, say, N=5 or so.
    how about a limit on the number of ant-bobby threads one user can start?

anyway, I'm all for your idea. just remember, this knife cuts both ways.

your obsession with GB is unbecoming at best.
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:59
    why not limit the number of posts a user can make a day as well?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree