1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Mar '14 16:39
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    the suggestion reads at the moment:

Do have a list of proposals which will be implemented (without deadline).
    Not even one thumb up...
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 May '14 08:02
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Is there a list of proposals under consideration (just so future proposers know what not to propose again)? Whether or not they will ever be implemented.
    To establish such a list was the purpose of this thread.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 May '14 09:011 edit
    Right now (on top of day to day minor tweaks/fixes) :
    - Supporting recent Android update.
    - Releasing the updated analysis board (minor update)
    - Releasing the unfinished chess puzzles feature.
    - Improving site authentication for new users
    - Improving app authentication for new users

Incoming
    - UI update. This should come quickly after the above, last April's refresh was largely about preparing for future updates such as this.
    - Proper tablet support for Android App. (Currently works as mobile app, scaled up.) and more features.
    - Native IOS release. (iProducts)

This will take us right to the end of the year, I suspect. That last one is going to be painful. 🙂
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 May '14 10:21
    Wow Russ, thank you!

And I hope you find time also to live.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 05:47
    Originally posted by Russ
    Right now (on top of day to day minor tweaks/fixes) :
    - Supporting recent Android update.
    - Releasing the updated analysis board (minor update)
    - Releasing the unfinished chess puzzles feature.
    - Improving site authentication for new users
    - Improving app authentication for new users

Incoming
    - UI update. This should come quickly after the abo ...[text shortened]... will take us right to the end of the year, I suspect. That last one is going to be painful. 🙂
    nice to have...

- an indication who has given thumbs up or down to posts (maybe a mouse-over pop up)
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 06:16
    nice to have...

- an indication who has given thumbs up or down to posts (maybe a mouse-over pop up)
    They'll never do it [although that would be fun].
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 01:04
    nice to have...

No, this is a bad idea on the face of it.

Imagine having in a file somewhere a record of everyone you ever voted for in any election. Even the most non-imaginative can see this would be a bad thing.

Thumbs need to be anonymous to have any validity. We don't need witch-hunts, people being ostracized based on who they don't agree with.

It's easy to sit back and wish to know who dared disagree with you. But no, in a democracy, you don't get to know their names. Removing the teeth of the vox populi is always a serious mistake.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 07:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Imagine having in a file somewhere a record of everyone you ever voted for in any election. Even the most non-imaginative can see this would be a bad thing.

Thumbs need to be anonymous to have any validity. We don't need witch-hunts, people being ostracized based on who they don't agree with.

It's easy to ...[text shortened]... on't get to know their names. Removing the teeth of the vox populi is always a serious mistake.
    Elections shape the laws of the land and the prosperity [or lack thereof] of society.

Votes down or up on an internet forum have no effect of remotely comparable importance. What's the worst they can do - write a few disparaging posts about the 'haters'? They already do that as it is. It doesn't have much effect.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 19:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne

It's easy to ...[text shortened]... on't get to know their names. Removing the teeth of the vox populi is always a serious mistake.
    In some cantons in Switzerland, voting takes place on the public square in broad daylight by raising of hands. So all your neighbors know just what you voted for or against. That's direct democracy in action.

The idea behind revealing who gives a thumbs-up or -down at RHP is this: I have noticed recently that certain people's posts are routinely given thumbs-down, no matter what the content. The thought occurred to me that these might be grudge-votes; this would become obvious of the downer were revealed.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 10:59
    I'm not against making the likes public, its is something I would like to do myself, but it would be for all future posts only. (Records of existing "likes" would be removed, but not the total number of likes recorded to historical posts)

It would require a consultation vote for this change. From an implementation perspective, this is a very minor update.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 14:261 edit
    I'm not against making the likes public, its is something I would like to do myself, but it would be for all future posts only. (Records of existing "likes" would be removed, but not the total number of likes recorded to historical posts)

It would require a consultation vote for this change. From an implementation perspective, this is a very minor update.
    Thanks for the reply. What would constitute a quorum for a consultation vote on the issue?

Would it be technically feasible to offer an opt-in / opt-out feature for having one's ID be made public on forum thumbs? Or would that constitute code bloat?

EDIT: no ex-post-facto updates please. 'Only for future posts' is entirely reasonable (since people who have left the forum would have no chance to opt out).
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Jul '14 09:35
    Just a little update, I'm looking at the UI refresh already - ahead of when I initially planned. There will need to be an extended beta for this, so that time can be used to work on other incomplete projects on that list.

BTW : The new UI will be going full screen again.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Jul '14 12:08
    Just a little update, I'm looking at the UI refresh already - ahead of when I initially planned. There will need to be an extended beta for this, so that time can be used to work on other incomplete projects on that list.

BTW : The new UI will be going full screen again.
    We abate with weighted breath.

Thanks for your hard work on this.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '14 07:17
    nice to have...

Similar to the "Like" feature on Facebook.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree