"Lobby" games

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
28 Jan 08

On a now defunct site where I was once a member (Pacmall chess) there was an interesting feature called lobby games. These were games where white and black moves were open to be made by any member of the site (Although once a player had moved for one side, he could not then move for the other in the same game) Draws had to be agreed by 3 players on each side, resignations required 5 members of the same side to resign.

Such a feature could also be segregated into rated tables, so tghere could be an open board, a 1600 - 1800 board and so on.

Any thoughts?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Jan 08

Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
On a now defunct site where I was once a member (Pacmall chess) there was an interesting feature called lobby games. These were games where white and black moves were open to be made by any member of the site (Although once a player had moved for one side, he could not then move for the other in the same game) Draws had to be agreed by 3 players on e ...[text shortened]... rated tables, so tghere could be an open board, a 1600 - 1800 board and so on.

Any thoughts?
Sounds interesting... a few of these games are played in private forums, and even the public forums at times.

It's a bit different, where everyone votes for a move and it's recorded by the person running the game.

I like the idea.

P-

Moves
29 Jan 08

Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
On a now defunct site where I was once a member (Pacmall chess) there was an interesting feature called lobby games. These were games where white and black moves were open to be made by any member of the site (Although once a player had moved for one side, he could not then move for the other in the same game) Draws had to be agreed by 3 players on e ...[text shortened]... rated tables, so tghere could be an open board, a 1600 - 1800 board and so on.

Any thoughts?
My memory is a little different from that.
There were three levels of games - one for all comers, one for 1600 up and one for 1800 up. You could make any move in any game for which you were qualified, and post chat, with or without a move. If three in a row voted for a draw or resignation, that was done and a new game came right up. If three in a row voted to undo a move, that was done, too.
Other ex-Pacmallers here include me and Khayman and probably a few others. The site was once huge, and then it began to shrink with chess and checkers about the only things at the end. I enjoyed it, and I especially enjoyed those public games. I remember one in particular where I and another Pacmaller played every move except for 1. e4, c5; others just watched as we blitzed away and accepted any chat that came up from others.
I think that this feature more than any other thing sold newcomers on the site. And although it isn't up any more, it was up a long, long time with many members.