1. Account suspended
    Joined
    14 Nov '06
    Moves
    17862
    15 Nov '07 14:45
    I was thinking about this last night, and it seems that the easiest way for someone to cheat is to copy the PGN and paste it into their version of Fritz or whatever they use.

    If we were to make cheating that little bit harder by forcing them to enter the moves into their engine manually, maybe, just maybe, they would go to another site that doesn't require this.

    Therefore my thread title. If we made it impossible to get the PGN of the game until AFTER it ended, we could severely limit the amount of illegal ingame analysis.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    15 Nov '07 15:40
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I was thinking about this last night, and it seems that the easiest way for someone to cheat is to copy the PGN and paste it into their version of Fritz or whatever they use.

    If we were to make cheating that little bit harder by forcing them to enter the moves into their engine manually, maybe, just maybe, they would go to another site that doesn't requ ...[text shortened]... f the game until AFTER it ended, we could severely limit the amount of illegal ingame analysis.
    It would have absolutely no effect apart from hindering those who may want to analyse off line.

    D
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    93899
    16 Nov '07 12:24
    A bit hard on those of us playing team games and want to put the board in our private forum for discussion.
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    21284
    17 Nov '07 04:40
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I was thinking about this last night, and it seems that the easiest way for someone to cheat is to copy the PGN and paste it into their version of Fritz or whatever they use.

    If we were to make cheating that little bit harder by forcing them to enter the moves into their engine manually, maybe, just maybe, they would go to another site that doesn't requ ...[text shortened]... f the game until AFTER it ended, we could severely limit the amount of illegal ingame analysis.
    Maybe it could be a game option under advanced options... I would enjoy that myself.
  5. 1. e4!!
    Joined
    23 Dec '06
    Moves
    16856
    19 Nov '07 00:41
    Users could just use the analysis board to play moves one by one into the engine or even easier write the fen for the game or just set up the board from the position they see on screen.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    14 Nov '06
    Moves
    17862
    19 Nov '07 02:20
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Users could just use the analysis board to play moves one by one into the engine or even easier write the fen for the game or just set up the board from the position they see on screen.
    My point exactly..

    On other sites you can just get the PGN.. that's easier than learning FEN or move by move copying.

    Cheaters are presumably lazy and, therefore, it can only help the site to make the life of a cheater that little bit harder.
  7. 1. e4!!
    Joined
    23 Dec '06
    Moves
    16856
    20 Nov '07 03:53
    There's nothing hard about typing fen into a program. I think your idea is admirable, just not unstoppable. Still though I can't really think of a reason someone would need the pgn until the game is over anyway. Well aside from players that may download the games to play with away from internet.
  8. Standard memberFreidenker
    Mad scientist
    Qu├ębec
    Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    7977
    22 Nov '07 03:41
    Well... It's both a good and a bad idea. I use this function to write annotations and do analysis, for example on SchemindMind, you can send yourself "notes", you see them in the history of the game. I wouldn't need to download the PGN if we had this here.

    But I think it does make cheating a little easier.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Nov '07 14:23
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    My point exactly..

    On other sites you can just get the PGN.. that's easier than learning FEN or move by move copying.

    Cheaters are presumably lazy and, therefore, it can only help the site to make the life of a cheater that little bit harder.
    I use the PGN when I want to transfer my game to winboard and save a complex line I've worked out to view 12 days later when I move again.

    Punish everyone because a few people cheat... and they'd work around it anyway. No thanx.

    P-
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    23 Nov '07 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    A bit hard on those of us playing team games and want to put the board in our private forum for discussion.
    Do you mean clan games or something else? I'd still have thought outside assistance (from clan members) wasn't permitted during games.

    Edit - as a 900 player getting Private Forum advice from an 1800 player is therefore playing as 1800.
  11. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    93899
    24 Nov '07 01:512 edits
    Sorry, didn't realise my wording was ambiguous. My clan is playing black in an individual game against another clan - an unrated training/practice exercise with each side choosing its best move with lots of in-forum discussion on the choice. As far as we all know that's not forbidden by the rules.

    In effect, each clan's better players are coaching the others in their own clan.

    Second thoughts: scratch us altogether, the "watched games" facility having now arrived, we no longer need to take the board into the forum.
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    25 Nov '07 15:27
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Sorry, didn't realise my wording was ambiguous.
    It was, thanks for the clarification though.
Back to Top