Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    05 Jan '07 19:21
    It's about time RHP introduced card payment for various countries and didn't just use their US outlet! If they want memebers to pay and subscribe they should make it as easy as possible with regulated cards. I have various HSBC Solo/Maestro/Cirrus cards with and account availability of 112,000 English pounds immediately. I can't pay the US site with them. I have NO INTEREST charges or TRANSACTION charges with these cards, which is why I use them. I use them all around the world with ease. Where is your upgrade RHP? I can't be bothered with a cheque book, haven't used one for years.. cause all the other places I use accept my CARDS.........Globally!........What's happening to keep up guys??????????
  2. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    05 Jan '07 20:11
    Originally posted by mikelom
    It's about time RHP introduced card payment for various countries and didn't just use their US outlet! If they want memebers to pay and subscribe they should make it as easy as possible with regulated cards. I have various HSBC Solo/Maestro/Cirrus cards with and account availability of 112,000 English pounds immediately. I can't pay the US site with them. I ...[text shortened]... I use accept my CARDS.........Globally!........What's happening to keep up guys??????????
    How do other UK members pay for their subscriptions?
  3. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    05 Jan '07 20:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    It's about time RHP introduced card payment for various countries and didn't just use their US outlet! If they want memebers to pay and subscribe they should make it as easy as possible with regulated cards. I have various HSBC Solo/Maestro/Cirrus cards with and account availability of 112,000 English pounds immediately. I can't pay the US site with them. I I use accept my CARDS.........Globally!........What's happening to keep up guys??????????
    I think Solo is like Visa Delta - it's for the higher risk customers (in terms of credit profile) and always seeks confirmation of available funds from the paying bank. You should use either Visa Purchasing, Visa Credit, Maestro, or Mastercard, and then I think you'd have no problems with smaller txns.

    I might be wrong, someone please correct me if so.
  4. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    06 Jan '07 01:21
    Originally posted by rhb
    I think Solo is like Visa Delta - it's for the higher risk customers (in terms of credit profile) and always seeks confirmation of available funds from the paying bank. You should use either Visa Purchasing, Visa Credit, Maestro, or Mastercard, and then I think you'd have no problems with smaller txns.

    I might be wrong, someone please correct me if so.
    I think Solo is like Visa Delta - it's for the higher risk customers.

    I think, therefore I am.....
  5. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    06 Jan '07 01:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I think Solo is like Visa Delta - it's for the higher risk customers.

    I think, therefore I am.....
    Your point being? I was only trying to help.

    Edit - I've confused Delta with Electron in my earlier post, however as this is not a HSBC offering and your question mentions HSBC Solo, I don't see where I'm wrong in pointing out that Solo is for higher risk customers.
  6. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    06 Jan '07 13:14
    Originally posted by rhb
    [b]it's for the higher risk customers (in terms of credit profile) and always seeks confirmation of available funds from the paying bank.
    I'm not a high risk customer, far from it. But as you pointed out, if correct, you say it seeks confirmation. That's more than confirming available funds.. it allows usage of available credit.....not like VISA which tends to abuse confidence and enable its users to become indebted. Think again about what you just wrote?
  7. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    07 Jan '07 22:14
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm not a high risk customer, far from it. But as you pointed out, if correct, you say it seeks confirmation. That's more than confirming available funds.. it allows usage of available credit.....not like VISA which tends to abuse confidence and enable its users to become indebted. Think again about what you just wrote?
    I never said you were.

    If your bank will allow you an overdraft of, for arguments sake, £100, then by seeking confirmation of available funds that additional £100 is taken into account - e.g. account balance + overdraft = available funds. You are repeating what I wrote by comparing use of available credit with use of available funds.

    I cannot comment on specific VISA practices, however I'm sure the FSA (and other nations banking authorities) would have something to say if VISA enabled its users to become indebted as you say... besides, VISA is the means of payment, it is the banks that ultimately decide to authorise / decline the transaction for their customer, based on their own rules in conjunction with those of VISA, and the status of the customers account.

    The banks are also responsible for carrying out a 'risk assesment' of each of their customers to determine if they are suitable to extend credit facililties to, or to offer one or other of the card types to (Visa Electon/Visa, or Solo/Switch(Maestro) in the case of HSBC) - this is usually decided at application, then reviewed later (either at fixed time intervals, or on customer request).

    As per my previous post, in general those who appear to be higher risk are those offered the 'lesser services', or declined upgrade requests at a later date.

    Re: your comments on chequebooks, I personally agree that they are a hassle, however I still carry one for exactly these types of situations (or similarly paying builders etc, where cash is too risky and card not possible).

    Returning to the point of the thread, click "send feedback" and ask Russ / Chris how you can best make payment given your special circumstances.
  8. 08 Jan '07 18:24
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm not a high risk customer
    [...]
    Are you sure you are not taking a risk?

    I am not a banker or lawyer, so anything I say could be utter rubbish; judge for yourself.

    My understanding was that with a credit card, your liability is limited. If you pay with a Debit card, the cash comes straight out of your bank account, allowing you to spend more, but without someone else to share the liability.

    Like I said, I am not a banker, but I would hate to see anyone get fleeced because they used a card which does not limit how much can be stolen from them.

    I am also not saying that the site is in any way insecure - it it just a general security issue and numbers can be snooped from your computer if you have malware installed.

    Gezza
  9. Standard member Ari Brenin Cymru
    Siachmat!
    09 Jan '07 17:58
    I would be interested in subscribing as well but only have a Solo and Visa Electron card which the site doesn't accept.
  10. Standard member c99ux
    'Sir' to you
    11 Jan '07 06:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ari Brenin Cymru
    I would be interested in subscribing as well but only have a Solo and Visa Electron card which the site doesn't accept.
    I paid by Visa Electron.
    I would prefer Direct Debit but it's not available yet.

    EDIT: or standing order.
  11. Standard member Ari Brenin Cymru
    Siachmat!
    11 Jan '07 22:41
    So it is possible to pay with Visa Electron even though it is not stated?
  12. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    12 Jan '07 01:21
    I just made out a money order in U.S. funds. I did it that way so my visa number doesn't get put out there. I am from the old school and don't like putting card numbers on computers !! It will take me a little longer, waiting the 9 days, so the good folks at the Post Office told me. When the time is up it good for two years. I didn't see a problem doing it that way personally!!!
  13. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    12 Jan '07 02:30
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I just made out a money order in U.S. funds. I did it that way so my visa number doesn't get put out there. I am from the old school and don't like putting card numbers on computers !! It will take me a little longer, waiting the 9 days, so the good folks at the Post Office told me. When the time is up it good for two years. I didn't see a problem doing it that way personally!!!
    You do realise that if your credit card details are stolen you aren't responsible for any of the charges above say $50 don't you? This is assuming you don't break the terms of service of the credit card.
  14. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    12 Jan '07 03:17
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You do realise that if your credit card details are stolen you aren't responsible for any of the charges above say $50 don't you? This is assuming you don't break the terms of service of the credit card.
    I don't know if that is the case or not...I would have to call visa to find that out...I would just as soon keep that 50.00 in my pocket also
  15. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    12 Jan '07 07:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I don't know if that is the case or not...I would have to call visa to find that out...I would just as soon keep that 50.00 in my pocket also
    Actually your card has zero liability for fraudulent charges.
    http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/securewithvisa/liability.cfm

    EDIT: Meaning you don't have to pay anything if something went wrong with an internet purchase.