1. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:37
    Apologies if this is a rehash, but:

Similar to the 'Open Invites' set-up but players enter their name and get put onto a 'mentor' list.

These players can only play one game at a time with an 'apprentice'. (Unless they put their name up twice, for example)

Upon placing their name on the 'mentor' list, the mentor stipulates the ranking range of potential apprentices. For example, an 1700 ranked player might accept an apprentice from those ranked 1300-1500.

The mentor also stipulates the time limits.

A mentor can remove his/her name at any time. Perhaps a 'remove name from list after current game' button ...

The mentor is under no obligation to play rematches with a particular apprentice.

During the game, the apprentice can send an in-game message such as, 'Why did you move there?!' etc - the mentor replies at the end of the game.

Once the game is finished, the mentor either PMs or sends as a final move in-game message some tips, pointers, advice etc. This can be of any length but say a minimum of 50 words or so ...

In theory any player, regardless of rank, can act as a mentor - a 1200 player could help an 800 player.

The whole thing is entirely voluntary - again, mentors can remove their names at any time.

Good idea?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:51
    Why the hell would the mentor wait till the end of the game to give commentary? I've given teaching games and I think that it is very helpful for the person I'm teaching to understand the reasoning behind my moves or to be able to ask questions.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:58
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Why the hell would the mentor wait till the end of the game to give commentary? I've given teaching games and I think that it is very helpful for the person I'm teaching to understand the reasoning behind my moves or to be able to ask questions.
    It could drag the game out.

But, yeah, whatever the two agree on.

The mentor could move with the message, 'What square(s) does that protect/threaten?' as a hint etc etc.
  4. Joined
    06 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 15:25
    Sounds like a good idea.
  5. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:46
    Originally posted by treetalk
    It could drag the game out.

But, yeah, whatever the two agree on.

The mentor could move with the message, 'What square(s) does that protect/threaten?' as a hint etc etc.
    Not minding the idea of a mentor, although I just don't see this as a feasable idea, but if it were to come to pass, I would think that the mentor should explain and question moves along the way. to see what the student is thinking and possibly show the error in the thought process. but this should be done during the game not after.

Also this should be non-rated period. I would hate to think a game that the student won (anything is possible no matter how unlikely) how badly the rating would be overinflated, or the hit the mentor would take.

the better method is for the mentor and student to set this up on their own though.
  6. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:46
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Right now Xanthos is kicking-my butt... I mean mentoring me. I've learned a great deal about some opening ideas and have used these to other people's chagrin in other games. Definately along the way, because I think lower rated players have problems with true analysis of their games, unless it is fresh in their minds.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree