1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    15 Sep '09 00:341 edit
    It would be nice to be able to highlight important squares and pieces and add arrows into diagrams and pgns. Maybe a few different colors for each the highlights and arrows. This would be great for PGNs because then you could highlight the important squares, show how the play takes advantage, tactical motifs and the like. It would also be nice to have the annotations appear for each move in the pgns and if writing pertaining to a certain diagram only shows up if you put your mouse over it to be more organized.
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Joined
    30 Sep '05
    Moves
    10841
    15 Sep '09 02:46
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It would be nice to be able to highlight important squares and pieces and add arrows into diagrams and pgns. Maybe a few different colors for each the highlights and arrows. This would be great for PGNs because then you could highlight the important squares, show how the play takes advantage, tactical motifs and the like. It would also be nice to have the ...[text shortened]... ertaining to a certain diagram only shows up if you put your mouse over it to be more organized.
    Yes it would be nice.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Sep '09 06:14
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It would be nice to be able to highlight important squares and pieces and add arrows into diagrams and pgns. Maybe a few different colors for each the highlights and arrows. This would be great for PGNs because then you could highlight the important squares, show how the play takes advantage, tactical motifs and the like. It would also be nice to have the ...[text shortened]... ertaining to a certain diagram only shows up if you put your mouse over it to be more organized.
    Make a screen shot out of it and import the whole picture to Word or somewhere. There you could attach circles and arrows all you can. Let's not burden Russ & al with that.

    Your other idea I support fully:
    Let's have a text area for each move to put annotations in. It would be so good to annotate, in terms of ideas, speculations, anything that can be linked to that move in particular.
    These annotations could be included in the PGN file {in brackets}. Not for other's use, but for your own.
    But, well, this could be done in Word too...
  4. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    1908
    15 Sep '09 11:51
    An annotations area would be a great addition. As for the arrows and highlights, it wouldn't really add anything for me, so I'm not particularly fussed.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    15 Sep '09 16:21
    sounds like a great idea to me.
  6. Kalispell, MT
    Joined
    05 Jul '08
    Moves
    23554
    15 Sep '09 16:31
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It would be nice to be able to highlight important squares and pieces and add arrows into diagrams and pgns. Maybe a few different colors for each the highlights and arrows. This would be great for PGNs because then you could highlight the important squares, show how the play takes advantage, tactical motifs and the like. It would also be nice to have the ...[text shortened]... ertaining to a certain diagram only shows up if you put your mouse over it to be more organized.
    Agreed. if we could highlight full ranks and files as well.

    -GIN
  7. Kalispell, MT
    Joined
    05 Jul '08
    Moves
    23554
    15 Sep '09 16:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Make a screen shot out of it and import the whole picture to Word or somewhere. There you could attach circles and arrows all you can. Let's not burden Russ & al with that.

    Your other idea I support fully:
    Let's have a text area for each move to put annotations in. It would be so good to annotate, in terms of ideas, speculations, anything that can be ...[text shortened]... ackets}. Not for other's use, but for your own.
    But, well, this could be done in Word too...
    Right away, this makes me think about if Russ implements the games
    annotation on pages, that "Get PGN" on these pages should include
    annotations.

    Then having an up to date PGN viewer for the forums, where you can read
    the annotations, becomes valuable. Allows the forums to become a bed
    for edification of game annotations. Learning area.

    Agreed.

    -GIN
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    708
    15 Sep '09 19:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Make a screen shot out of it and import the whole picture to Word or somewhere. There you could attach circles and arrows all you can. Let's not burden Russ & al with that.

    Your other idea I support fully:
    Let's have a text area for each move to put annotations in. It would be so good to annotate, in terms of ideas, speculations, anything that can be ...[text shortened]... ackets}. Not for other's use, but for your own.
    But, well, this could be done in Word too...
    Would you be able to post that here?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Sep '09 20:40
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Right away, this makes me think about if Russ implements the games
    annotation on pages, that "Get PGN" on these pages should include
    annotations.

    Then having an up to date PGN viewer for the forums, where you can read
    the annotations, becomes valuable. Allows the forums to become a bed
    for edification of game annotations. Learning area.

    Agreed.

    -GIN
    Annotations should be private and not shown for anyone.
    If not released of the owner, of course.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    15 Sep '09 20:42
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Would you be able to post that here?
    By uploading the edited diagram to a picture hotel, and the link to the place shown, yes.
  11. Standard memberGalaKev
    Borderer
    Scotland
    Joined
    09 Apr '07
    Moves
    33614
    15 Sep '09 21:37
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It would be nice to be able to highlight important squares and pieces and add arrows into diagrams and pgns. Maybe a few different colors for each the highlights and arrows. This would be great for PGNs because then you could highlight the important squares, show how the play takes advantage, tactical motifs and the like. It would also be nice to have the ...[text shortened]... ertaining to a certain diagram only shows up if you put your mouse over it to be more organized.
    rec'd
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    15 Sep '09 23:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    By uploading the edited diagram to a picture hotel, and the link to the place shown, yes.
    Yes i'm aware of this but that road is clumsy and takes too much work. It is also not easy for anyone who is not computer savvy. I believe my idea may get more forum participation and attract people to the sight. Strategies and tactics are hard to explain each and every move but with this you can highlight what needs highlighting, explain in detail the really important things and you'll have a visual representation to your words which is useful for people who may not understand english well or who has a hard time comprehending complicated chess lingo or any old thing that causes a misunderstanding.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    16 Sep '09 03:461 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Yes i'm aware of this but that road is clumsy and takes too much work. It is also not easy for anyone who is not computer savvy. I believe my idea may get more forum participation and attract people to the sight. Strategies and tactics are hard to explain each and every move but with this you can highlight what needs highlighting, explain in detail the rea rd time comprehending complicated chess lingo or any old thing that causes a misunderstanding.
    Yes, I agree.

    But it is still too much demand for Russ to produce an in-line graphical editor.
    There are more urgent things he has to do to improve RHP.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    16 Sep '09 05:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, I agree.

    But it is still too much demand for Russ to produce an in-line graphical editor.
    There are more urgent things he has to do to improve RHP.
    Hey, I plan on being here for a while. He can take all the time he needs but I would also like to point out that what is in demand is whats urgent. It would be a waste of time to make "improvements" that nobody wants. Thats the whole point of this here forum, to see what the masses want.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    16 Sep '09 06:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Hey, I plan on being here for a while. He can take all the time he needs but I would also like to point out that what is in demand is whats urgent. It would be a waste of time to make "improvements" that nobody wants. Thats the whole point of this here forum, to see what the masses want.
    You are absolutely right.

    But like you, everyone, including me, we have the right to discuss what's urgent and what is not. What you think is perhaps not agreed to anyone. What other thinks is perhaps not agreed by you. Nor me.

    In the near future Russ will bring us new things (betatesting is about to start). I wouldn't have that delayed because details of other kinds is prioritized.

    Russ, and Russ alone, knows what is in his agenda. He has the power to prioritize his work, noone else. I think Russ welcomes every new idea, I think Russ welcomes a good discussion about the ideas. Pros or cons.

    My personal thoughts of your idea is that it will be used by a few, but demands a great deal of programming for Russ and his staff. So I think, although not a bad idea, it has low priority. I can think of other ideas that will be used by more members and demands less programming.

    But Russ decides...
Back to Top