1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 09:432 edits
    Recently I have been bashing out code for the new RHP board interface. The board design looks the same as it does right now, but it is 100% new code adding a drag and drop interface (and a few more tricks) that will prepare us for dropping the flash based blitz client soon. This new code will run everywhere on the site - every board rendered will use the same code for the first time.

As a result, it is quite a sensitive release and therefore requires a beta. Any brave souls who would like to help out, please request an invite to the RHP Beta Test club here :

Club 1

I'll only need a few people to help out initially, but will add more once it becomes clear if it is stable and ready for release.

Thanks in advance.

edit : I hope to be ready to beta this in 1 week, possibly 2.
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 00:44
    Originally posted by Russ
    Recently I have been bashing out code for the new RHP board interface. The board design looks the same as it does right now, but it is 100% new code adding a drag and drop interface (and a few more tricks) that will prepare us for dropping the flash based blitz client soon. This new code will run everywhere on the site - every board rendered will use the same ...[text shortened]... release.

Thanks in advance.

edit : I hope to be ready to beta this in 1 week, possibly 2.
    Hi Russ,

I've not got a very high game load at present, but I'm willing to give things a whirl.

If there are other testers out there willing it's probably worth getting a few test games going to thoroughly test specific things like en-passant, promotion etc. as well as the draw claiming flags and conditional moves etc. etc.

I'll look forward to the new interface ...
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 15:41
    No beta this week, another Russ'timation there....hopefully end of next week or start of following week.
  4. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 21:55
    No beta this week, another Russ'timation there....hopefully end of next week or start of following week.
    I'll start some new games up to test it when you are ready.

-GIN
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '12
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 20:32
    May I ask about the status of this? Will this allow one to have a larger board? I have a large, widescreen monitor, and even when I have the current large size chosen, I have a lot of white space.

If I can get a larger board...I will most definitely subscribe!
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 10:17
    Originally posted by Armistead
    May I ask about the status of this? Will this allow one to have a larger board? I have a large, widescreen monitor, and even when I have the current large size chosen, I have a lot of white space.

If I can get a larger board...I will most definitely subscribe!
    You may be rather surprised to hear that it is being built to look exactly like the existing board. If everyone continues to use the new board and thinks it is just the same but with a drag and drop option (+ few other tricks), then I will call it a success.
    You build these things with one eye on the future, and changing how the board looks will then go on to become a simpler task. If we went on to embrace HTML5 fully, for example, then we could swap in a new interface (with 3d, for example, we know everyone loves that....right? 😉 )

Regarding your question about piece size, we can’t use scalable boards right now, but we could support fixed size bigger boards. This might not be available for all sets though, or only with lower quality graphics for the pieces. If anyone has preferences here, let us know.
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '12
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 19:34
    I certainly would like the option of having larger boards!
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 00:39
    Will this/these changes raise the subscription cost? tia
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 12:111 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Will this/these changes raise the subscription cost? tia
    Bigger boards cost more money, don't you know? 😉

But no, no changes to the sub price, and there shouldn't be for many years.
  10. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 14:183 edits
    [b]You may be rather surprised to hear that it is being built to look exactly like the existing board. If everyone continues to use the new board and thinks it is just the same but with a drag and drop option (+ few other tricks), then I will call it a success.
    [/b]

Does the 'few other tricks' mentioned include the ability to create new games using a FEN?
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 07:29
    Bigger boards cost more money, don't you know? 😉

But no, no changes to the sub price, and there shouldn't be for many years.
    I'd like real wood lead weighted pieces with felt bases on a black cherry and pine board please. Also, please be sure you have enough extra queens available. I hate it when I have to use a bottle cap for the extra queens.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 00:43
    Originally posted by coquette
    I'd like real wood lead weighted pieces with felt bases on a black cherry and pine board please. Also, please be sure you have enough extra queens available. I hate it when I have to use a bottle cap for the extra queens.
    But I'll bet you don't mind polishing off what's in the bottle first. 😉
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Apr '12 16:551 edit
    In case anyone was curious, this work is still going on!

My consistently over optimistic estimates have never been more spectacularly off than on this occasion. I may even produce a youtube video to prove this is not vapourware! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree