Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    21 Feb '07 15:45 / 2 edits
    Another preview version of the new tournament pages is now available, hopefully with the previous issue regarding round progression sorted out.

    Just add v2 to the URL when viewing a tournament

    e.g.

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/viewv2.php?tid=1859

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/indexv2.php will help with browsing multiple tournaments.

    Just to recap, this is with the group progression code included. The original but largely out of date discussion for this can be found here Thread 49648.

    As before, if you see any errors, please let me know. (You can go crazy reviewing this stuff, so any comments/bug reports are much appreciated.)

    An example tournament which can progress with the new code includes :

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/viewv2.php?tid=1469

    -Russ

    edit : chessatwork URLs changed to redhotpawn.
  2. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    21 Feb '07 15:52
    Tournaments with over 300 entrants are viewed by group :

    eg..

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/viewv2.php?tid=500&rndid=2

    -Russ
  3. 21 Feb '07 19:29
    I like this, Russ, now I don't have to fiddle with my Excel sheets anymore.

    Or perhaps I should, because there i can enter prognosis for each game too. Like "He is a queen over so he is likely to win, and if he wins then I have thi win this, this, and that game to win the tournament."

    So, what happens now, when it is easy to see who will win the round and nothing will change this anymore. Can we sart the next round sooner? Or do we have to wait for the rest insignificant games to finishe too, as now? Like Tournament 1445 where all groups are ready but not group 14 that however is decided.

    Great work, Russ, but I liked the black/white representation in a pawn, instad of a ball, better. You have to have pawns when you play chess, not balls, pawns is better.
  4. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    21 Feb '07 19:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I like this, Russ, now I don't have to fiddle with my Excel sheets anymore.

    Or perhaps I should, because there i can enter prognosis for each game too. Like "He is a queen over so he is likely to win, and if he wins then I have thi win this, this, and that game to win the tournament."

    So, what happens now, when it is easy to see who will win the rou ...[text shortened]... ad of a ball, better. You have to have pawns when you play chess, not balls, pawns is better.
    The next phase is starting new tournament rounds before all the games are complete. This is turning out to be simpler than expected, so should be launching soon.

    -Russ
  5. 21 Feb '07 21:27
    Originally posted by Russ
    The next phase is starting new tournament rounds before all the games are complete. This is turning out to be simpler than expected, so should be launching soon.

    -Russ
    Waiting eagerly for the next phase!
  6. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    22 Feb '07 00:08 / 2 edits
    I really like how it shows "group decided" now. From that, the next round can start once all groups are decided.
    the 2007 champiosnhip doesnot work i dont think.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Feb '07 09:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    2007 champiosnhip doesnot work i dont think.
    Can you give me some details please?

    Thanks,

    -Russ
  8. 22 Feb '07 12:05
    Originally posted by Russ
    Another preview version of the new tournament pages is now available, hopefully with the previous issue regarding round progression sorted out.

    Looks good. That too is exactly what we wanted. Bring it on.
  9. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    22 Feb '07 12:18
    That group progression thing is rather marvellous!
  10. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    22 Feb '07 12:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Can you give me some details please?

    Thanks,

    -Russ
    It says 'the page you requested cannot be found.'

    I don't know where to put the "v2" because it has: /viewlg ...

    http://www.chessatwork.com/tournament/viewlg.php?tid=1677 (group1)
  11. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Feb '07 12:35
    Originally posted by Ramned
    It says 'the page you requested cannot be found.'

    I don't know where to put the "v2" because it has: /view[b]lg
    ...

    http://www.chessatwork.com/tournament/viewlg.php?tid=1677 (group1)[/b]
    viewlg.php is dead (it was a hack until the new code arrived)

    Just use viewv2.php for all pages.

    -Russ
  12. 22 Feb '07 15:17
    When I click at "Tournaments", choose "My Active" and as I play the Tournament 1677 "2007 Championship" I click this and land at http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/viewlg.php?tid=1677 so the "viewlg.php" seems to be used even today and is not dead and gone.

    However, if I change "viewlg" in the URL to "viewv2" and press enter, I get to the place Russ want us to go.

    Group 14 seems to be decided without having played every game to its end. The winner is decided and will play the next round.
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Feb '07 15:39
    OK, it is not dead right now, but it will be made obsolete by the new code.

    Currently there are two URLs for viewing tournaments, and it will return to just one again in the future.

    -Russ
  14. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    23 Feb '07 15:58 / 1 edit
    Unless any issues are discovered in the next few days, this will be released proper before the end of next week.

    -Russ

    edit : Tournament 1310 has been advanced, during a live test, the first such event.
  15. 23 Feb '07 16:09
    Originally posted by Russ
    Unless any issues are discovered in the next few days, this will be released proper before the end of next week.

    -Russ

    edit : Tournament 1310 has been advanced, during a live test, the first such event.
    And the next one will be (*tada*) Tournament 1445?