1. Joined
    09 Dec '11
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 12:54
    I entered RHP about one month. One of the reasons I decided to enter was the rule “While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play...”
    The problem is that I can't find a list of players having been punish for violating that rule.
    I know that in CC is difficult to make proof of the use of computers but it is possible. So I ask: Is there anybody monitoring thr use of computers? Is there anyway to denounce the suspicion of some illegal behavior? If not, can we think about that?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 13:19
    Anyone caught using a computer is banned from the site. We used to be able to see a list of banned players, but it was taken away, I think for legal reasons. People are still being banned, though, we just aren't being told who they are.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '11
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 13:57
    Well, I would like to see a confirmation of that by anyone who manages the club. I'll be waiting. Thank you anyway for your information.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 07:09
    Originally posted by pedrosone
    Well, I would like to see a confirmation of that by anyone who manages the club. I'll be waiting. Thank you anyway for your information.
    i think you already got your answer. There's no real information in a list of banned players. Some were banned for harassment, some for inappropriate language, some for computer use, some for multiple accounts, and some for any number of other violations of the rules. Why bother with a list of them? why concern yourself with computer users? They reveal themselves through uneven play - for example a 1000 player that suddenly turns into a 1900 player. It's no big deal. Just enjoy playing and it works out.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 12:56
    Ways to beat people using computers has been debated many times with no real solutions.Also there are players on the site known as as "sandbaggers".
    These are people who deliberately lose some games to lower there ratings so they can enter banded tournaments with a lower rating than their actual ability or be matched against low rated players in clan games.
    I find the only way to avoid these people is to look at their historical record and not to play anyone with a 90% win rating or players whose performance graph resembles the Himalayas.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 13:16
    I entered RHP about one month. One of the reasons I decided to enter was the rule “While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play...”
    The problem is that I can't find a list of players having been punish for violating that rule.
    I know th ...[text shortened]... ere anyway to denounce the suspicion of some illegal behavior? If not, can we think about that?
    Why worry, if they have been banned then they are not playing under that ID.

You will have no idea if that banned person has started a new account, short of them admitting they are a banned player, which will inevitably lead to their new account getting banned.
  7. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 17:29
    if you type "banned" into the the "search forums" box, you should find ample evidence that banning does happen.

In fact, picking a name from the forums at random:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=241455

It does not say why, but maybe the graph gives an indication.
  8. Great Northeast
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 16:42
    Not an idea but I agree that many out there, our using computers, you almost know when your in a tour. 21 days no timeout. There our people that our very slow in making their moves they run out of time, and then the book on vacation. I'm playing in one now the tournament is over except for one player who has 6 games going , and he's been on vacation now for at least most of the month of Jan, I say if you join a touranment, you shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation, but I know that won't change and you'll alaways have dishonest people especially on the computer, because they can hide behind it, and don't have to man of to it.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 18:27
    Originally posted by mobkin
    Not an idea but I agree that many out there, our using computers, you almost know when your in a tour. 21 days no timeout. There our people that our very slow in making their moves they run out of time, and then the book on vacation. I'm playing in one now the tournament is over except for one player who has 6 games going , and he's been on vacation now for a ...[text shortened]... pecially on the computer, because they can hide behind it, and don't have to man of to it.
    yeah, the vacation system is one of the most aggravating of RHP in my opinion. Just a few simple fixes would make it at least a little better, but don't count on it happening.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 22:23
    Originally posted by mobkin
    Not an idea but I agree that many out there, our using computers, you almost know when your in a tour. 21 days no timeout. There our people that our very slow in making their moves they run out of time, and then the book on vacation. I'm playing in one now the tournament is over except for one player who has 6 games going , and he's been on vacation now for a ...[text shortened]... pecially on the computer, because they can hide behind it, and don't have to man of to it.
    Says the dude on vacation.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 22:33
    Originally posted by coquette
    yeah, the vacation system is one of the most aggravating of RHP in my opinion. Just a few simple fixes would make it at least a little better, but don't count on it happening.
    What "simple fixes" would improve the vacation system?
    I book vacations when I'm er "on vacation" but only when the timebank of on my closest game to the time limit is going to run out.
    This saves me vacation days for future vacations
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 23:34
    Originally posted by venda
    What "simple fixes" would improve the vacation system?
    I book vacations when I'm er "on vacation" but only when the timebank of on my closest game to the time limit is going to run out.
    This saves me vacation days for future vacations
    well, what you describe is exactly the abuse that is the source of the complaint. I am with you. the vacation system is mainly an extra time out protection system.

a real vacation system would mean that you wouldn't be able to move while you are on vacation. That isn't going to be implemented, so it's not worth discussing.

a few real quick and easy "fixes" that would at least make the vacation system somewhat better, would be 1) to have the vacation period shown, even if it were changeable, 2) no canceling of a vacation within at least 48 hours, to avoid jungle tactics in time games, and 3) equal vacation for everyone (I hate to say it, but even non-subs should have a level playing field; yes, they only get 6 games, so how about 6 days vacation for them?)

These are just suggestions. I hate to start it up all over again but here we go i suppose
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 23:46
    a real vacation system would mean that you wouldn't be able to move while you are on vacation.
    I'd prefer my opponent move while on vacation rather than not move.
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 18:20
    well, what you describe is exactly the abuse that is the source of the complaint. I am with you. the vacation system is mainly an extra time out protection system.

a real vacation system would mean that you wouldn't be able to move while you are on vacation. That isn't going to be implemented, so it's not worth discussing.

a few real quick and easy "f ...[text shortened]...
    These are just suggestions. I hate to start it up all over again but here we go i suppose
    I agree with your "fix no. 1".
    No's 2 and 3 I'm not so sure about.What you describe as jungle tactics is ultimately self defeating and there could be any number of perfectly genuine reasons for cancelling a vacation at short notice.
    The only reason I manipulate the vacation system is that without doing so, I would run out of vacation days.
    I never play when on vacation but I don't object to people doing so.
    This in any case is a separate issue to "no computers allowed" and as you say probably isn't worth discussing
  15. Joined
    27 Nov '10
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 21:06

I know that in CC is difficult to make proof of the use of computers but it is possible.
    It is? Tell me how.

Personally I take the view that I'm playing on the Internet. So hey, who knows what my opponent is doing. I love this form of the game, and I play straight. If my opponent doesn't, because they have used a computer/engine, then they haven't defeated me, the computer/engine has. And they are just sad.

I used to say that if you wanted to be sure you was playing a real unassisted human being, play only over the board. But even that seems to be open to question now with the latest technology.

So just play, enjoy the game, and don't get too hung up about what is happening at the other side of the board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree