1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 00:08
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    4 clicks... sorry. Good luck with this idea.

P-
    Thanks. Whether it gets implemented or not, it's a good one 🙂
  2. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:02
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Yes there is. For a start you could just set an inactivity timeout on the login sessions.
    No, please don't. I use three PC's and a laptop and I like the fact that they all have login cookies.

BTW, it sounds like no one here understands what adding one more db value and adding one more php argument means from a server resource standpoint. Every time a user clicks anything the time value would have to be updated. Anytime an opponent moves a script would have to check against that value to see if some arbitrary amount of time has passed, then decide whether to send a move notification. How many moves are made per day?

Also, what would the time be? 3 seconds? 15 minutes? 4 hours?
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 03:35
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It is. RHP would be slowed down as it bounces around checking each user to see if they've refreshed a page or made a move in the last few seconds.

Why not just shut off email reminders when you log in, and turn them back on when you are getting ready to leave? It's a simple click.

http://www.timeforchess.com/myhome/myemailsettings.php

P-
    Excellent thought. Thanks!
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 03:36
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    You forget, many people think the internet happens automagically. Anyway, if you use firefox there is ouroboros' script(s):

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=61652

Assuming he decides to continue them after he returns from vacation:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=70557
    The internet doesn't just happen automatically? It's not really magic? Oh Dear!
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 12:00
    Originally posted by coquette
    The internet doesn't just happen automatically? It's not really magic? Oh Dear!
    It does when you are using Firefox. I think anyway... consider it if you don't have it. Regardless of what page on the web I may be at... there is a little game number counter at the bottom of my page. (12 games waiting)

Plus there are countless other little tweaks that oroboris has done... game score based on pieces captured, ratings calculations for win/lost/draw on game board, remaining time and bank on my games page, forum highlights for threads you have not read, forum notebook, more, more, more.

Before I had it, didn't think I needed firefox. Now that I do have it, I can't imagine going back.

P-
  6. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 13:35
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Yes there is. For a start you could just set an inactivity timeout on the login sessions.
    That doesn't work.

If you log into a site, have a quick look and then go to another site without logging out, or perhaps have a power failure then until your inactivity timeout expires you will receive no e-mail notifications even if you want to.

This would make the e-mail notification unreliable and therefore not particularly useful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree