1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 02:53
    Originally posted by adramforall
    If I had an emergency the last thing I would care about was logging into RHP to set up vacation time just in case I suffered a loss by timeout.
    That Adram, is because you only think of yourself, you don't think of the other 20 people who are depending on you in your clan, but in your case they are probably use to you not pulling your weight.
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 02:33
    it is a merely a tool to prevent timeout.
    And nobody here has personal issues, such as death in the family?

Get real! 😠
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 01:21
    Originally posted by mikelom
    And nobody here has personal issues, such as death in the family?

Get real! 😠
    If I have a death in the family or other personal issues, I can assure you the last thing that would concern me is getting online to put up a vacation flag to protect games of chess.

If this is a priority for you then you need to get a real life, as well as your virtual one.

The site functioned well enough before the vacation time was added. People only complained about getting timed out.

Since it was added there have the compaints have risen dramatically about people "abusing" the system to delay losses, extend tournaments, and even worse, move when on vacation and timing people out when on vacation.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 03:18

"abusing" the system to delay losses, extend tournaments, and even worse, move when on vacation and timing people out when on vacation.
    What...Are you saying you could care less about your clansmen?

What kind of ENgerLish is Dis ADRAM?
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Since it was added there have the compaints have risen dramatically about people

ROFLMAO....
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 11:45
    My few cents:

* Timebank only tournaments should be tretaed different from other formats, due to the fact that it IS timebank only. So there is no agreed time limit. And yes people can calculate the absence of the opponent to gain an advantage (has been done before).

* Vacation is necessary to prevent me to have only games with ridiculous timebanks. But then it would not really inconvinience me only to play games with 14 days timeank at least (3 day timeout games can easiyl go over month and I can't make sure that I will be online at least every three days month in advance).

* The main problem is that there are people who urgently want to win tournaments here and one can't do much about it. But permanent rating floors will minimize sandbagging and no-vacation tournaments would minimize anger there.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 02:01
    If I have a death in the family or other personal issues, I can assure you the last thing that would concern me is getting online to put up a vacation flag to protect games of chess.

If this is a priority for you then you need to get a real life, as well as your virtual one.

The site functioned well enough before the vacation time was added. Peop ...[text shortened]... end tournaments, and even worse, move when on vacation and timing people out when on vacation.
    It's ok to say get a real life, aside of the virtual one. However, today's society has become half-virtual as people spend more and more time on computers.

My statement was, simply, that things happen in life that prevent a continuation of being able to access what we would normally do. If chess is not important in your life, then why are you here? We all have hobbies. I have hobbies aside of being online. However, when I am online at RHP I do have a duty to colleagues I have chosen to be with. These are not virtual people, but real people sharing the same hobby. I would like to consider that most members of RHP take chess seriously, and have a genuine love of the game.

For that reason, if things happen where one is not able to access the site, then the option for vacation is a necessary tool.

You seem to be of the opinion that most users use vacation as an abusive tool. I would tend to disagree. I would go further to say that I believe most RHP users use vacation when they have to.

If there are people delaying tournaments and the like, they can be spotted and eliminated. However, that is a completely different agenda.

Finally, I do have a fine real life, thank you. 😉

-m.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:30
    Please can we get this thread back on to the topic of canvassing support for a site idea. That is, "No Vacation" Hardcore Tournaments, where the players all understand that the vacation flag will not prevent them from being skulled once their 21 days have been used up.
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 03:52
    My twopenneth...not workable, even if you had an undertaking from players not to utilise their flags for that tournament then what's to stop 'other events' imposing their way on it...if someone has say 50 ongoing games and 8of of them are in a 'hardcore tourny' and they become ill, they're going to want to protect the other 32..the only way it can work is if admin take an interest in the suggestion and they make some electrickery hocus pocus 'thing' that won't allow a flag in that tourny. Best ask them if that's possible. 'SacTheKing' tried repeatedly for a 1 \ 0 to really put off anyone other than the genuine hardcore element...it'd be madness even considering your flag as a whole years holiday would be eaten so foolhardily...I think unrated was eventually the only viable option still being considered there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree