1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 01:34
    I think Hardcore Tournaments (0/21 time controls) should operate as "No Vacation" tournaments. Other sites organise tournaments with this facility. On chess.com you are required to confirm that you know it is a no-vacation tournament before they will allow you to enter.

Given the number of threads showing dissatisfaction with the way many people manipulate their vacation status, having a no-vacation tournament option could help to ease widespread frustration. Clearly, it doesn't bother everyone, but it does bother a significant number of people.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 02:05
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I think Hardcore Tournaments (0/21 time controls) should operate as "No Vacation" tournaments. Other sites organise tournaments with this facility. On chess.com you are required to confirm that you know it is a no-vacation tournament before they will allow you to enter.

Given the number of threads showing dissatisfaction with the way many people manipula ...[text shortened]... n. Clearly, it doesn't bother everyone, but it does bother a significant number of people.
    This should be a given for the 1/0 tournies in my opinion

the idea of these tournies (1/0 i'm talking about) is that its meant to be a quicker tournament with shorter time controls
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 11:17

Given the number of threads showing dissatisfaction with the way many people manipula ...[text shortened]... n. Clearly, it doesn't bother everyone, but it does bother a significant number of people.
    I would gladly enter such a tournament.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Jan '11 13:43

Doing away with vacation time solves everything.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 01:20
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Doing away with vacation time solves everything.
    Yes, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There must be better solutions out there.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 03:07
    Yes, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There must be better solutions out there.
    Why should a 0/21 Hardcore tournament be treated any different from any other format?

We get people moaning that person xyz is holding up a tournament by using vacation time, to delay their games, avoid timeout etc etc.

As the addition of vacation time is the cause of so many threads, the easiest way to eliminate these threads is to remove the cause, vacation time.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 12:50
    Why should a 0/21 Hardcore tournament be treated any different from any other format?

We get people moaning that person xyz is holding up a tournament by using vacation time, to delay their games, avoid timeout etc etc.

As the addition of vacation time is the cause of so many threads, the easiest way to eliminate these threads is to remove the cause, [b]vacation time
    .[/b]
    I would object to 'vacation time' being removed as I find it very helpful and I only use it correctly; why should I and other subscribers be subject to a reduced service because of those who abuse it.
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 02:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I would object to 'vacation time' being removed as I find it very helpful and I only use it correctly; why should I and other subscribers be subject to a reduced service because of those who abuse it.
    Therein lies the problem, peoples perception of abuse of vacation time.

Everyone who uses vacation time does it correctly, because it suits them. They don't care if it inconveniences an opponent, it is a merely a tool to prevent timeout.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 02:27
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    This should be a given for the 1/0 tournies in my opinion

the idea of these tournies (1/0 i'm talking about) is that its meant to be a quicker tournament with shorter time controls
    Why not make the same for 3/0 tournies, or 3/3?

All tournies have time limits where you expect the opponent to move within a specific period of time. Vacation time only screws that up when someone puts up the little, "you can't time me out ha ha flag"
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 03:44

All tournies have time limits where you expect the opponent to move within a specific period of time. Vacation time only screws that up when someone puts up the little, "you can't time me out ha ha flag"
    You MUST take the BAD with the GOOD.

Vacations are needed for vacations, & emergency.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 19:241 edit
    Therein lies the problem, peoples perception of abuse of vacation time.

Everyone who uses vacation time does it correctly, because it suits them. They don't care if it inconveniences an opponent, it is a merely a tool to prevent timeout.
    I see what you are saying adramforall, but how is it an inconvenience to you if an opponent goes on holiday? When it happens to me I just carry on with my life, my chess and forum posting and don't even give it a second thought.

We all have lives outside rhp chess (I would hope) and I certainly work to live. Living to me is going on holiday with Mrs divegeester, and if I ended up losing more of the scarce rating points I do have due to time-outs whilst chillin' by the pool, then I'm afraid the subscription would cease to be worth it for me. I just don't understand why "vacation time" is an issue.

That said, I do see the potential value to some people of fast tourneys where players sign-up to having no breaks.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 21:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I see what you are saying adramforall, but how is it an inconvenience to you if an opponent goes on holiday? When it happens to me I just carry on with my life, my chess and forum posting and don't even give it a second thought.

We all have lives outside rhp chess (I would hope) and I certainly work to live. Living to me is going on holiday with Mr ...[text shortened]... potential value to some people of fast tourneys where players sign-up to having no breaks.
    Hi Dive, its no inconvenience to me. If its my move in a game, I move, if its not I wait till it is.

The problem is that people on here want the benefits of vacation time when it suits them. They either have to suffer the inconvenience, for want of a better word, of an opponent taking longer to make their move in the games or accept vacation time for what it is, a way to delay a game.

As for fast games, the next thing people will complain about is how fast people are moving in the 1/0 game. If the player decides to wait for 23 hours and 59 minutes before making their move they will get told they are holding the games up, even though they are moving in the agreed timescale.

This complaint has arisen before when players take the full time to make their moves and others who have finished their games want to get onto the next round, complain that other players aren't moving fast enough.

Too many people expect instant respones to moves, forgetting that we are a global community, and while they are moving their opponents are sleeping/working etc.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 21:19
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    You MUST take the BAD with the GOOD.

Vacations are needed for vacations, & emergency.
    If I had an emergency the last thing I would care about was logging into RHP to set up vacation time just in case I suffered a loss by timeout.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 22:05

Accepted - how about people cant use flags in these tournies and also cant sign up for these tournies if they have the flag up?
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 22:27
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Accepted - how about people cant use flags in these tournies and also cant sign up for these tournies if they have the flag up?
    I think the idea of a no flag tourney is great. As for signing up when on holiday I see no reason why not, after all the tourney will be no flag and as such having the flag already flying will be meaningless to that tourney.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree