1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 17:59
    In the same way that the option to resign after you have moved was added, can we have an option to offer a draw after moving.
    Sometimes after you've moved and taken another look you wish you had [or you forget] but you then have to wait maybe a week or longer before you can offer again..
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 20:49
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    In the same way that the option to resign after you have moved was added, can we have an option to offer a draw after moving.
    Sometimes after you've moved and taken another look you wish you had [or you forget] but you then have to wait maybe a week or longer before you can offer again..
    Doubt it will ever happen. The fact that you can offer a draw before clicking submit means it is available for those without clickitis
  3. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 07:50
    The convention in otb games is that a draw offer is made just prior to moving (though I don't think it is stronger than a convention).

In CC, a draw offer had to, in practise, be made along with a move.

I think it is these scenarios the site is trying to emulate, so I'd prefer it stayed as it is.
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 10:05
    Originally posted by Redmike
    The convention in otb games is that a draw offer is made just prior to moving (though I don't think it is stronger than a convention).

In CC, a draw offer had to, in practise, be made along with a move.

I think it is these scenarios the site is trying to emulate, so I'd prefer it stayed as it is.
    I have to correct Redmike there. In serious OTB games the correct procedure is to move first and then immediately offer a draw, before pressing the clock (so that the player offering the draw does so in their own time).
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 10:50
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I have to correct Redmike there. In serious OTB games the correct procedure is to move first and then immediately offer a draw, before pressing the clock (so that the player offering the draw does so in their own time).
    I like it, I bet you fold your newspaper up neatly after reading 😀
  6. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 10:56
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    I like it, I bet you fold your newspaper up neatly after reading 😀
    Lol, actually no! I'm quite an untidy person. But after 30 years of playing in chess competitions, I tend to know the rules.
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 23:19
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    You're correct, of course.

What I'm trying to say is that you make the draw offer with a move, and that it isn't correct to offer a draw while it is your opponent's move.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 00:22
    You're correct, of course.

What I'm trying to say is that you make the draw offer with a move, and that it isn't correct to offer a draw while it is your opponent's move.
    But isn't it the same for resigning?
    Which can now be done here at any time.

Shouldn't the rule be more flexible in these internet games?

What are the reasons for objecting to this?
  9. Dublin
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 11:38
    I don't think so. You can resign whenever you want, there's no reason for this to distract your opponent.

I don't have any problem with people offering draws after moving (here or OTB), as long as offering draws without moving isn't facilitated.
  10. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 22:34

I guess the reason for objecting is the general idea that the game we play here should be as close as we can to either otb or cc chess.

I don't think allowing people to offer draws at any point in a game is in an increase in flexibility, I think it is an unnecessary variation from the way chess is normally played.

Resigning is different, you can't annoy your opponent by resigning.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 01:43

I don't see a problem with this.

It's not like the offered draw will suddenly appear as a pop-up window while the opponent is trying to think. Thus, I don't see how it would distract him.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 06:24
    What's the hurry about a draw? Wait until the next move and offer the draw.

Sometimes when the position is equal, I ask my opponent by PM "Don't you think this position is drawish?", and I get a feeling about what he thinks about it.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 10:26
    I guess the reason for objecting is the general idea that the game we play here should be as close as we can to either otb or cc chess.

I don't think allowing people to offer draws at any point in a game is in an increase in flexibility, I think it is an unnecessary variation from the way chess is normally played.

Resigning is different, you can't annoy your opponent by resigning.
    A few times I have moved with the intention of offering the draw immediately. Only to find I am unable to do so.
    Maybe if there was a time limit when you could still offer. [for example 5 minutes or whatever, after you move, in the same way a time limit is on editing posts in the forum] I don't know how much work that would involve but I believe it would be an improvement.
    Isn't it normal to resign on your own move otb???
    And as pointed out already, technically speaking we should move and then offer the draw to be closer to otb standards.

@Fabian. Yes, I know I can simply wait a week and offer on the next move. If I remembered. 😲
    I know it's not a big deal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree