1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 04:27
    Sometimes people are eager to comment on a game, albeit the game is in progress. We cannot do that of course, becaue the outcome of the game can very well change because of the comments.

I have an idea:
    Let two players play a secret game. Noone but the two players know how the game progresses, so it cannot be commented upon.
    But what happens if the moves are shown a month after? Like every move is delayed a month? Then we can comment it as much as we like? (!) As it goes! Even if every move is a month delayed, it feels like the mage is going, in real time (even if it isn't).

Who would theese players be? The higher rating the better. The dream game would be Weyerstrass vs Altern8 of course, but any high rated players are welcome.

This need some programming from Russ et al, and his schedule may be full already. But I think this is a good idea, and will generate a very nice thread with much comments and much to learn from.

What do you say?
  2. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 06:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What do you say?
    Id say it sounds like alot of trouble for Russ just because people arent diciplined. You shouldnt comment on games in progress.

I have a better idea: account deletion for people who discuss games in progress🙂
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 14:02
    Sometimes people are eager to comment on a game, albeit the game is in progress. We cannot do that of course, becaue the outcome of the game can very well change because of the comments.

I have an idea:
    Let two players play a secret game. Noone but the two players know how the game progresses, so it cannot be commented upon.
    But what happens if the ...[text shortened]... will generate a very nice thread with much comments and much to learn from.

What do you say?
    This is a great idea. I am not a code monkey, or even a code idiot, so i have no idea how hard it is, but if it is doable, then some version should be done.

Here's an alternate version that might be cool.

Secret Blog Tournament

Rules:

The tournament games progress in public, with a blog attached.

The games are shown in real time, the Blog is hidden until the game is over.

After the game ends (or maybe the entire tournament), the Blog is open for public viewing.

Those who are nervy enough can post their predictions and analysis along the way.

Those with engines can post what the engines would do, along with their own comments.

The players themselves can comment on what their thoughts are, if they care to.

A couple of things can happen:

(1) no one posts anything and Russ wasted his time. (There is no waste of time in trying new things, though, and finding out what doesn't work. I bet it's easy to do.)

(2) there's a storm of activity that amounts to not much more than stupid noise. (That's okay, it's easy to bypass the noisemakers and read the posts of those you respect or are interested in reading.)

(3) there are very few posts and only some of them are interesting. (That seems like a good outcome to me.)

Anyway, I like the idea overall. (recommended)
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 21:12

I have an idea:
    But what happens if the ...[text shortened]... will generate a very nice thread with much comments and much to learn from.

What do you say?
    Are there not enough finished games to comment on?[/rhetoricalquestion]
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 03:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are there not enough finished games to comment on?[/rhetoricalquestion]
    yes there are, but to be presented one move at the time, not knowing how it will progress, usually attracts many people to discuss. Move-by-move.
  6. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 21:23
    I understand the logic about not commenting on RATED games, but what about UNRATED
    games? Seems to be no harm to simply set up unrated games and open them up for public
    comment, similar to what is happening in the chess forum with the Pawn Riot game. Unrated
    games have no effect on ratings, clans points, tourneys, etc.

Does anyone have any clarification on whether it's okay to comment on unrated games in
    progress? The TOS seems to make no exception to unrated games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree