1. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 01:28
    would be nice, so you could see when the flag went up.

Also how about a "Vacations taken this year/since joining" info box, as well as "Sick leave taken this year/since joining" information? Then we can rout out the shirkers...

Oh, hang on, I'm playing chess now, not working...
  2. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 03:41
    Originally posted by c99ux
    would be nice, so you could see when the flag went up.

Also how about a "Vacations taken this year/since joining" info box, as well as "Sick leave taken this year/since joining" information? Then we can rout out the shirkers...

Oh, hang on, I'm playing chess now, not working...
    don't forget to monitor coffee and toilet breaks too 😛
  3. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 06:15
    Originally posted by coentje
    don't forget to monitor coffee and toilet breaks too 😛
    "....no reminders, no vacations, no exceptions".

It just cannot get any simpler than that.

skeeter
  4. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:31
    Originally posted by skeeter

skeeter
    that would be the best way, automatic time out the moment your time is up 🙂

Though i must admit that i enjoy the clicking of a skull too 😀
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 20:59
    that would be the best way, automatic time out the moment your time is up 🙂

Though i must admit that i enjoy the clicking of a skull too 😀
    and what happens when you go on holiday for 2 weeks to the middle of the jungle? (and your laptop battery runs out etc etc or perhaps you also have a life (or wife even!))
  6. The sky
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 21:24
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    and what happens when you go on holiday for 2 weeks to the middle of the jungle? (and your laptop battery runs out etc etc or perhaps you also have a life (or wife even!))
    You lose some games. Tant pis.
  7. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 21:49
    i even have that wife you are talking about 😉 that is why i do not care so much if i lose a couple of games, i know there are more important things in the world as winning/losing some chess games.

If you do not want to run the risk to be timed out during your vacations then you should either not take vacations or make sure you do not start games that could see you timed out when you are having fun. Either way it is your own choice so there is no reason to complain about being timed out by anyone.
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 22:20
    i even have that wife you are talking about 😉 that is why i do not care so much if i lose a couple of games, i know there are more important things in the world as winning/losing some chess games.

If you do not want to run the risk to be timed out during your vacations then you should either not take vacations or make sure you do not start games that cou ...[text shortened]... her way it is your own choice so there is no reason to complain about being timed out by anyone.
    It's just a suggestion to improve the site.

Other people might like to get beefed once in a while, perhaps even come to like it. Me - I always took chess to be a logical game depending on one's reasoning skills to win, not so much a game of chance. And I have a life so I will continue to take vacations. The conclusion? Enforce the vacation flag. Seems simple to me.
  9. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 22:50
    It's just a suggestion to improve the site.

Other people might like to get beefed once in a while, perhaps even come to like it. Me - I always took chess to be a logical game depending on one's reasoning skills to win, not so much a game of chance. And I have a life so I will continue to take vacations. The conclusion? Enforce the vacation flag. Seems simple to me.
    you can always only play games where you have more time like 21/28 or something like that. You do not need to play 3/7 if t hat is not long enough for you. If the vacation flag will be that strong i forsee people mis using it at times, for me it would just mean that i would resign when people go on a vacation because i really do not enjoy waiting for weeks for someone to make a move, 3/7 is about the longest i can take 😛
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 23:11
    you can always only play games where you have more time like 21/28 or something like that. You do not need to play 3/7 if t hat is not long enough for you. If the vacation flag will be that strong i forsee people mis using it at times, for me it would just mean that i would resign when people go on a vacation because i really do not enjoy waiting for weeks for someone to make a move, 3/7 is about the longest i can take 😛
    I think you are right - 3/7 is my preferred sort of timescale too, I don't want to hang about waiting for someone to play one move every 21 days, or even have a timebank period that means each game will last a month plus moves.

At the same time, I recognise that my opponent might go away on holiday. I can wait until they come back, no problem. I won't skull them, I prefer to play chess with them. I think others might like that option too, and there are certainly plenty of posts on the matter.
  11. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 23:27
    I think you are right - 3/7 is my preferred sort of timescale too, I don't want to hang about waiting for someone to play one move every 21 days, or even have a timebank period that means each game will last a month plus moves.

At the same time, I recognise that my opponent might go away on holiday. I can wait until they come back, no problem. I wo ...[text shortened]... hink others might like that option too, and there are certainly plenty of posts on the matter.
    i will skull at anytime, it is part of the game to me, if you cannot stand being skulled you should find a game somewhere without any time constraints on them, and yes i have played many of those as well, plenty of OTB games that went on for days and days 🙂

btw. with you i mean you in general not you personal 😉
  12. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 09:36
    Originally posted by skeeter

skeeter
    I agree, I wouldn't complain if site rules changed like that. Maybe we could have an option "Automatically take skulls" and all members who chose to play like that could have a pirate flag on their profile page or an axe next to their rating, just so everyone can recognise the headhunters among us...
  13. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 16:20
    How about every member gets a GPS tracking device inplanted in their body. Then you can track down exactly where every member is at all times 😛
  14. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 22:33
    Originally posted by c99ux
    I agree, I wouldn't complain if site rules changed like that. Maybe we could have an option "Automatically take skulls" and all members who chose to play like that could have a pirate flag on their profile page or an axe next to their rating, just so everyone can recognise the headhunters among us...
    that is a good idea, though i would hate not being able to click on skulls anymore 😉
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 23:00
    i will skull at anytime, it is part of the game to me, if you cannot stand being skulled you should find a game somewhere without any time constraints on them, and yes i have played many of those as well, plenty of OTB games that went on for days and days 🙂

btw. with you i mean you in general not you personal 😉
    I have no problem with you viewpoint at all. None whatsoever. I agree that if the facility is there to 'skull' then one should expect to be 'skulled'. No issue. Nada Problemo (to mix it up a bit).

If I start a game in March, and I'm going on holiday in July, and the game goes on that long, how can I ensure that during my two week vacation some desperado, two rooks and a queen down, doesn't skull me? I'm sure you get my point. The facility exists for me to flag up that I am on holiday (and therefore vulnerable) and there are a lot of people (noble chess players to a man or woman I'm sure) who say they will not honour holidays. There are those darker horses who do not say whether they will or won't honour holidays. Now what I am saying is that for those of us who prefer chess to skulling, can this flag be made enforcable?

It's probably a lot of work; database changes, extra storage per player, interface work, functional work; testing; I can understand why if you are used to a system then you can rarely see the reason why if should be changed; I just happen to think this change would make this site more affable for us affable types.....

BTW I mean 'you' as in 'one' too 😉 as Prince Charles might say...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree