1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 13:14
    One of my favorites column in my everyday newspaper is “Move of the day”. It’s a game of chess going, one move a day, with comments. I usually try to find out the next day’s move, sometimes I’m right, often I’m wrong. The game is of course played in advance and only presented with a move every day, but nevertheless its very interesting.

I would like to have the same thing here on RedHotPawn.

I can always pick up a game going by two strong players and follow the game. (And I do!) but I can’t discuss it with others. There is a rule her on RHP that says rather strongly that “Don’t comment any games in progress!” A sound rule. So i can only silently follow the game, I miss the comments and the discussions. I would like to ask others questions like “Why does he do that?”, “Isn’t the chain of pawns weak?” and “What about Ng6, doesn’t that leads to mate?”. But I can’t open my mouth without violating the rule of commenting going games.

I have a suggestion:

Invite two top-of-the-list members to secretly play to each other.

When the game has finished – present the moves, one every day, in a forum in a particular thread for this particular game. (This forum has to be created from scratch.) Here we can comment, discuss, ask and learn from the game.

This forum is not open to start new threads for anyone, this can only be done by the RHP supervisor, one for each game. Games can go concurrently but only one in each thread.

If this becomes a reality then I will be glued to this particular forum. My boss at work will surely complain. But what the h*ck, one has to prioritize. Fun first, work secondly.
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 13:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One of my favorites column in my everyday newspaper is “Move of the day”. It’s a game of chess going, one move a day, with comments. I usually try to find out the next day’s move, sometimes I’m right, often I’m wrong. The game is of course played in advance and only presented with a move every day, but nevertheless its very interesting.

I would like to ...[text shortened]... t work will surely complain. But what the h*ck, one has to prioritize. Fun first, work secondly.
    an excellent idea!

i wonder if it can be performed in a more simple manner ...

perhaps two top players play each other, and we all agree that we can break the rules and discuss their game.
  3. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 02:32

I would like to ...[text shortened]... t work will surely complain. But what the h*ck, one has to prioritize. Fun first, work secondly.
    Until something like you want to be done can/will be done you could entertain yourself with this Thread 38325 maybe.
  4. Connecticut
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 15:39
    I think is a great idea, too. Especially if it could be driven via RSS or maybe a module for Google's personal home pages... I'd *LOVE* to see a random RHP game in my google homepage.

Similar to the highlighted games here on the main page...
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 16:14
    I don't see why this would be impossible in a private forum with a small group following a few games.
  6. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 16:24
    Great idea! Nice way of learning more. Agree with Flexmore on the simplification.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 03:23

That's awesome.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree