Online Status - (green dot supplement)

Online Status - (green dot supplement)

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
12 Dec 08

Seems that along with the a green dot showing I've moved in the last 10 minutes there might be an option for a more telling status message. Something like:

"Stepped out"
"Gone to lunch"
"Be back in __ minutes"
"Logged off"

These status messages could be visible for a set period of time. For example, the "logged off" message would disappear along with the green dot after 10 minutes.

I've already played a couple games where my opponent and I are moving regularly and then one of us needs to step away from the computer for a bit and leaves the other waiting on the board expecting another move. I'd often be willing to hang around the computer and wait for my opponent if I knew he expected to be back in 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc. And I'd like to let them know when I'm logging off in case they might be waiting for me to make another move.

N

The sky

Moves
12 Dec 08

Originally posted by Traveling Again
Seems that along with the a green dot showing I've moved in the last 10 minutes there might be an option for a more telling status message. Something like:

"Stepped out"
"Gone to lunch"
"Be back in __ minutes"
"Logged off"

These status messages could be visible for a set period of time. For example, the "logged off" message would disappear ...[text shortened]... w when I'm logging off in case they might be waiting for me to make another move.
I very rarely get into that situation because I am a slow player, but in the few cases it has happened, I have simply sent an ingame message saying something like "off to bed" together with my last move of the day. I can't really see how setting your green-dot status instead of typing such a message in your game would save you time, and it would be less flexible.

j

Moves
13 Dec 08

I like the idea

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
13 Dec 08

"Stepped out"
"Gone to lunch"
"Be back in __ minutes"
"Logged off"

These status messages could be visible for a set period of time. For example, the "logged off" message would disappear ...[text shortened]... w when I'm logging off in case they might be waiting for me to make another move.
I must admit that i would find this useful

Moves
13 Dec 08
1 edit

"Stepped out"
"Gone to lunch"
"Be back in __ minutes"
"Logged off"

These status messages could be visible for a set period of time. For example, the "logged off" message would disappear w when I'm logging off in case they might be waiting for me to make another move.
this is a cc chess site not blitz, even if you are playing a live fast game a simple message in the game saying you'll be back in x amount of minutes is more than enough.

don't waste russ's time this this nonsense when he could be working on that whinging forum 😛

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
13 Dec 08

Originally posted by trev33
this is a cc chess site not blitz, even if you are playing a live fast game a simple message in the game saying you'll be back in x amount of minutes is more than enough.

don't waste russ's time this this nonsense when he could be working on that whinging forum 😛
Can't in game messages be sent only when I have the move? If I'm playing a fast game and need to step away I might not have the move to send the message. If I'm playing one, or even a few fast games at once (yesterday evening I was moving fast and regular with opponents in 5 or 6 games at once out of my dozen in-progress - I've noticed some users with over 100 games in-progress so surely this is not uncommon) - it simply would be nice to click on a button that says I've signed out. More out of courtesy than anything in case my opponent is sitting at the computer waiting for me to move again.

Thought of a couple new status updates possibilities, too:

"I'm drunk, please play easy"
"Taking way too long writing a forum post - be back shortly"

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
13 Dec 08

Can't in game messages be sent only when I have the move? If I'm playing a fast game and need to step away I might not have the move to send the message. If I'm playing one, or even a few fast games at once (yesterday evening I was moving fast and regular with opponents in 5 or 6 games at once out of my dozen in-progress - I've noticed some users wi ...[text shortened]... drunk, please play easy"
Try a PM, they work.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
13 Dec 08
2 edits

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Try a PM, they work.
What's a PM? 😳

N

The sky

Moves
13 Dec 08

What's a PM? 😳
A private message. Go to "Send Message" in the Community menu, or use the link from a player's profile.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
13 Dec 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
A private message. Go to "Send Message" in the Community menu, or use the link from a player's profile.
Ah, got it. Thanks. This is a better option than in-game message if I need to step away at short notice and I don't have the move while playing with one or two opponents. But it still wouldn't be feasible if If I'm moving in several games at once.

A twist on the idea:
Even if I can't get the option to put up a status message like "Logged Off" what about changing the color of the green dot to red when I log off. So, a green dot would mean I'm logged in and have moved in the last 10 minutes. A red dot would mean that I've moved in the last 10 minutes but that I'm currently logged out. I have no idea if this is possible.

N

The sky

Moves
13 Dec 08

Ah, got it. Thanks. This is a better option than in-game message if I need to step away at short notice and I don't have the move while playing with one or two opponents. But it still wouldn't be feasible if If I'm moving in several games at once.
You can send a PM to several players at once. Just type in the user names, separated by a comma (no spaces).

Moves
13 Dec 08

Can't in game messages be sent only when I have the move? If I'm playing a fast game and need to step away I might not have the move to send the message. If I'm playing one, or even a few fast games at once (yesterday evening I was moving fast and regular with opponents in 5 or 6 games at once out of my dozen in-progress - I've noticed some users wi ...[text shortened]... drunk, please play easy"
you assume people are waiting on their tippy toes for you to move. they're not.

if wouldn't be used by enough people....the people who received these messages would think, who cares.....there's already 2 ways of communicating with an opponent.....making it surplus to requirements.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
13 Dec 08

Originally posted by trev33
you assume people are waiting on their tippy toes for you to move. they're not.

if wouldn't be used by enough people....the people who received these messages would think, who cares.....there's already 2 ways of communicating with an opponent.....making it surplus to requirements.
Maybe not on their tippy toes. But surely on the edge of their seats.

s

Moves
17 Dec 08

"Stepped out"
"Gone to lunch"
"Be back in __ minutes"
"Logged off"

I think this would be a nice addition.

DS

Moves
17 Dec 08

Many people are invisible here.
I never know nor care to know if my opponent is online/logged in.
I can't see much point in this idea. 😴