1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    01 May '05 13:00
    Originally posted by flexmore
    so they should play 0/1
    this is a very different scenario.

1/0 is very different from 0/1.

i would play 0/1 when i know i have a day spare to play chess, and want to finish the game today.

i would never play 1/0.
    What is a 0/1 game and how do you create one?

Most of the games I set up are 1/0, I do take timeouts, normally the day after the skull appears, unless they are are non subscriber, then I will take timeout later that day.

All you need to do is check out the game before joining. I didn't on one occassion and joined a 21/28 game. Got a rude PM from them after I sent my apologies about cancelling the game as I did not like long games 🙁

What is the point of a 21/28 game? I can see the point of timebank, allowing you to delay moving for a couple of days due to other committments, but 3 weeks per move! A 15 move per person game could take 630 days if each opponent took the maximum days per move *shudders at thought of a game lasting nearly two years*

2. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 21:35
    i like playing either 1/7 or 3/0... they give decent time to move, but not so that a player who is losing can stall as in the "630-day example"
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    06 May '05 21:55
    Originally posted by adramforall
    What is a 0/1 game and how do you create one?
    You can't but it would be pretty cool. 0 timeout and 1 day timebank. The game not has a clock like over the board (OTB) chess. Since these games usually take weeks, why not a 0/7 - which means each side has 7 days each to make all their moves. The faster you move, the better your chance of winning. A game would take 2 weeks tops. With a 0/1 timeout - the game must be completed in 48 hours. You may not get much sleep.
  4. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 23:05
    That's a neat idea. The time taken for each move would eat into the timebank. In fact, that's a _great_ idea!
  5. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '05 08:391 edit
    your words make some sense:

but surely 1/0 can not be preferable to 1/3 to anyone except a fool, a newbie or an abuser.

if they are a fool then let us help them out.
    if they are a newbie then let us help them through,
    if they are an abuser then let us cut them out.
    I think it's for people who just want to guarantee a game that stands a chance of being completed in one session. A lot of people either don't know about / don't like uChess but enjoy a fast game at RHP.
  6. Newcastle upon tyne
    Moves
    07 May '05 09:56
    many players offer 1 day timeout games with zero timebank to any high rated player.

it is not good ... if you take two days off then you lose by being timedout.
    they play till checkmate ... but you must play EVERY day for a month.

i think they should be unable to do this ... unsuspecting players will fall victim.

maybe[b] timebank should have a mi ...[text shortened]... obvious timeout abuser,
    - 7 days would be better,
    - (28 days would be my personal preference)
    Yes I do that BUT BUT I let them have 3 days to play or I claim win It's cause I can only have 6 games at one time!
  7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 May '05 10:13
    On a one day timeout I rarely claim a win or I at least give my opponent a few days to make a move.

What I find extremely discurteous is after having given my oppoent this grace he then claims a win should I take 36 hours to move.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    08 May '05 02:30
    i'm fairly new to the site so i don't know how seriously anyone's going to take my comment. But here it goes.

You're on a site with 75,000+ possible opponents. If you don't know for sure that you can play a 1/0 game then don't play a 1/0 game - 75 thousand people, with a minimum of 6 possible games each and you can't find someone who has the time settings you want to play?

And as for the "courteous 1 or 2 days before claiming timeout victory" - again, if you're not sure you can play a game in that time then don't start playing. Sure it makes some sort of sense to wait before claiming the victory - but if you think about it that's the purpose of the timebank - giving them extra time in addition to the normal chosen time of the game.

The timebank is the amount of leeway you want to have and to give the other person in case of life interrupting the normal gameplay. You don't need to give the person a third chance too - it's not like they've suddenly forgotten they're playing a game.

Basically, there are soo many opportunities to play the exact game you want on this site that you shouldn't be taking 1/0 games unless you WANT a 1/0 game. If you rush and don't read the 2 numbers on an open invite line before accepting you've still got something like 6 moves (3 pair) to cancel the game before it's counted against you.

And 1/0 games have plenty of use for those of us who can only have a couple of games at once.
    I don't understand the argument of someone playing moves at odd times once they start losing - it's not 24 hours since YOUR last move - you have 24 hours since THEIR last move, so the worst case scenario is you'd have to log on within 24 hours from your last login... They can't really trick you that badly with this, and chances are they're not going to be refreshing the page every minute until your game is finished - they have to sleep and eat too after all - so it would be very rare if you had to move within 24 hours twice in a row...

The system is fine as long as you know how often you can move. Even if you do make a mistake you still have 6 moves to realize it without penalty. If you do end up losing the game oh well? It's not going to harm any tournament play for you, and it's not going to make you stop playing so your rating will return to what it should be after a couple more games.

So this seems pretty long-winded and repetative so I'll stop it here (assuming anyone's still reading this far through).
  9. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 May '05 20:321 edit
    gezundheit 😛🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree