1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 09:06
    many players offer 1 day timeout games with zero timebank to any high rated player.

it is not good ... if you take two days off then you lose by being timedout.
    they play till checkmate ... but you must play EVERY day for a month.

i think they should be unable to do this ... unsuspecting players will fall victim.

maybe timebank should have a minimum:
    - timebank of at least 3 days should not offend anyone but an obvious timeout abuser,
    - 7 days would be better,
    - (28 days would be my personal preference)
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 10:50
    People who don't take the time to either notice the timeout length (open invites) or check the info of newly created non tournament games from random opponents deserve every timeout they suffer.
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 11:041 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    People who don't take the time to either notice the timeout length (open invites) or check the info of newly created non tournament games from random opponents deserve every timeout they suffer.
    your words make some sense:

but surely 1/0 can not be preferable to 1/3 to anyone except a fool, a newbie or an abuser.

if they are a fool then let us help them out.
    if they are a newbie then let us help them through,
    if they are an abuser then let us cut them out.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 13:27
    People really do need to develop a few standard good habits before accepting an open invite. Such as:

-See if the game is rated or not.
    -Check the time-out and time bank settings.
    -Read the profile of the person offering the open invite. There might be some important information.
    (If you bother to read mine, you will see that I clearly state that I do not send move reminders. You also see my policy on claiming time-out victories).
    -While reading someone's profile you can also see their current rating and compare it to their performance graph to determine if they are currently playing above or below their average.
    -See how many games they already have going.
    -If they indicate where they live, you can determine if the time difference could be a problem.

If people would just do these things, they could avoid accepting a game that has unacceptable conditions for them.

Just my opinion,
    Marc
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 16:27
    It has been a wish-list item for some time, often repeated, that ALL the game settings should have max/min limits assignable in each player's "my challenge settings". One day perhaps. Till then beware, for there be dragons...
  6. Berks.
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 18:30
    I've played a few 1/0 games, although all with me accepting an open invite. All have been against non-subscribers. They aren't going to have a high game load, so can concentrate on just a few. Set them too long and they won't be playing as many games.

Personally I don't really have a problem with these timeouts, if people accept them then it's their own choice.

However, I do like the idea to set a minimum timebank for challenges, and I wouldn't mind a feature that actually informs me upon the first move of how the game was created with details (helpful if you're just clicking on the next game button).

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is the 1 day timeout actually being 28 or 30 hours rather than just 24. Giving a little extra flexibility with the time you have to log on at, so it could be a little later), but essentially ensuring at least one move per day.
  7. Subscriberinvigorateonline
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 18:39
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    People really do need to develop a few standard good habits before accepting an open invite. Such as:

-See if the game is rated or not.
    -Check the time-out and time bank settings.
    -Read the profile of the person offering the open invite. There might be some important information.
    (If you bother to read mine, you will see that I clearly state that I ...[text shortened]... ld avoid accepting a game that has unacceptable conditions for them.

Just my opinion,
    Marc
    By the time you have done the above someone else has taken the invite.

For non subscribers 1/0 ensures regular chess - but on balance I agree with Flex that 1/3 is more healthy as a minimum time length.

I was surprised to lose a couple of games on Christmas Day due my opponents taking presents of me having a true family day.
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    25 Apr '05 19:19
    Originally posted by flexmore
    maybe[b] timebank should have a minimum:
    - timebank of at least 3 days should not offend anyone but an obvious timeout abuser,
    - 7 days would be better,
    - (28 days would be my personal preference)[/b]
    Hell no!!
    0 timebank games are so quick and funny to play..........

And let me know one thing..........do you claim that if someone, like me,claims a lot of 1 day and 3 day games timeout it's automatically a timeout abuser??
    What does ''timeout abuser'' means??
    A timeout is a timeout.period.
    The only ''abuse'' I can think is when someone has his vacation flag up,buy even this has become a joke............
  9. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 10:34
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Hell no!!
    0 timebank games are so quick and funny to play..........

And let me know one thing..........do you claim that if someone, like me,claims a lot of 1 day and 3 day games timeout it's automatically a timeout abuser??
    What does ''timeout abuser'' means??
    A timeout is a timeout.period.
    The only ''abuse'' I can think is when someone has his vacation flag up,buy even this has become a joke............
    having been your clan leader and set you many many games with long timebank, then seen the results, i know that you are a genuine player - playing chess :-)

just to be thorough, i also checked through your finished games ... only 1 in 20 seems to be a timeout ... if you are trying to become a timeout criminal to impress the girls then you are not doing very well πŸ˜‰

but others - yes ... someone who systematically aims for short timeout games with zero timebank, then times them out asap ... that is not much fun ... some people have lots of timeout wins - and you can see how they get them.

if they really want a fast game then let them play 0 timeout with 1 day timebank! (i would play them when it suits me πŸ˜€)

(thankgod for dustnrogers - i think he takes half of the 1/0 games and doesnt even care.)
  10. Standard membersquaccerman
    The 17th coming
    Setefilla
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 11:56
    having been your clan leader and set you many many games with long timebank, then seen the results, i know that you are a genuine player - playing chess :-)

just to be thorough, i also checked through your finished games ... only 1 in 20 seems to be a timeout ... if you are trying to become a timeout criminal to impress the girls then you are not doing v ...[text shortened]... πŸ˜€)

(thankgod for dustnrogers - i think he takes half of the 1/0 games and doesnt even care.)
    If people aren't smart enough to check the settings they get what they deserve. Just because you don't like 1/0 games doesn't mean they are without merit. Some people get frustrated if they can't play every day and so a 1/0 game is a great solution. IMO
  11. Joined
    05 Aug '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 15:23
    I've play a couple of these 1-0 games. All non subscribers. Most say quick game, finish tonight. They play till they are losing and log off. They then make single moves at silly times hoping to catch you out.

Some of them seem to get ratings solely based on timeouts where they are losing games.

I've stopped accepting this type of game as it never is as advertised.
  12. Why Do You Care?
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 03:29
    OR people that like to play 1D 0TO don't like to wait a week per move and like to move things along fairly quickly...
  13. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 13:54
    I actually prefer 1/0 games. It tells me that I won't have to wait days for responses. And if the death's-head symbol should pop up next to a game I'm playing, I don't immediately take the time-out win. I send a message and wait a couple of days. I've only taken two or three time-out wins: 2 from folks who evidently no longer frequent the site, and a third that was a won game for me anyway.

One game I really hated to take was this one:

Game 988387

because there were a number of extremely interesting variations from this position. But twoandahalf hasn't moved since March, and I needed the game slot.

C.I.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    01 May '05 00:44
    your words make some sense:

but surely 1/0 can not be preferable to 1/3 to anyone except a fool, a newbie or an abuser.

if they are a fool then let us help them out.
    if they are a newbie then let us help them through,
    if they are an abuser then let us cut them out.
    People who want to play 1/0 games generally want to finish the same day. Let 'em have their fun..
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    01 May '05 08:15
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    People who want to play 1/0 games generally want to finish the same day. Let 'em have their fun..
    so they should play 0/1
    this is a very different scenario.

1/0 is very different from 0/1.

i would play 0/1 when i know i have a day spare to play chess, and want to finish the game today.

i would never play 1/0.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree