opponent selection

opponent selection

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
17 Dec 13

I notice that several players in open invites, want to play against non paying members only. As a paying member of RHP for 8 or 9 years, somehow, this discrimination does not sit well with me. Players who do this are discriminating against players who support the site.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Dec 13

I don't have a problem getting games. I usually have 40 going at once.

Why should I care that an 1100 rated non-sub wants to play other non-subs? So what. Let them.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Dec 13

They have it wrong anyway. Everybody is a member of the site, even non-subs.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
17 Dec 13

Originally posted by 667joe
I notice that several players in open invites, want to play against non paying members only. As a paying member of RHP for 8 or 9 years, somehow, this discrimination does not sit well with me. Players who do this are discriminating against players who support the site.
I have seen plenty of subscribers who do not want to play non-subscribers.
I have also seen many members who do not want to play against those who only have a provisional rating.
Many of us specify rating limits when creating an open-invite game. Some of those limits have been totally ridiculous.

These things have all been discussed several times over the past years in the forums. The only think that was ever concluded from it was that we all have our personal preferences.

Moves
17 Dec 13

Originally posted by 667joe
Non subs support the site as well, without them there would be no advertising money.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jan 14

Originally posted by Trev33
Non subs support the site as well, without them there would be no advertising money.
you really think that advertising money per user is more than paid subscription?

Ro

Moves
08 Jan 14

Originally posted by Ponderable
you really think that advertising money per user is more than paid subscription?
I am struggling to think of another commercial business venture when, if I become a customer on the terms freely offered by the provider, I am somehow doing something wrong and get abused by other customers for doing so.

I mean, I pay for Sky TV. But now they offer Sky News (and even once a footy game) for free on Freeview.

But I don't go around complaining that these services should only be offered to those that 'support' the fine work of Mr Murdoch and his colleagues through their subscriptions.

p.s. I know no-one here has used any abuse, but it wasn't that long ago when we had to put up with 'non-sub scum' references.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
I am struggling to think of another commercial business venture when, if I become a customer on the terms freely offered by the provider, I am somehow doing something wrong and get abused by other customers for doing so.

I mean, I pay for Sky TV. But now they offer Sky News (and even once a footy game) for free on Freeview.

But I don't go around ...[text shortened]... sed any abuse, but it wasn't that long ago when we had to put up with 'non-sub scum' references.
You are completely within your rights in takuing what is offered.

Russ surely makes some money from advertising.

And of course everybody is a potential asset to the site. There are subscribers I don't care for and I have friends being non-subs.

My point was not to look down on anybody. As I wrote elsehwere subscribers and non-subscribers are members of RHP.

Australia

Moves
08 Jan 14

If you're a nonsub, there's a perfectly valid reason for requesting nonsub status for opponents. It's the vacation system which is doing the discriminating.

Players should be free to request whatever opponents they like, within the rules of civilised behaviour of course.