1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '06 16:00
    Hey!

Love the setup of this site, keeps getting better.
    Just playing 6 games at one time can get annoying with the constant stream of emails coming in. Was thinking an option like: send emails only when inactive. So when i log off from the site, any moves made will then send me an email, and when i am logged in no mails will be mailed.

This way i am informed of moves made when im not currently on the site and am not annoyed by the flood of emails when i am playing.

Regards,
    Voidet
  2. Home
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:26
    Set up your e-mail account to move all messages from rhp automatically to a chess folder. This makes it easy to delete all of the messages in one quick delete. Alternately you can turn off move reminders form My Settings under My Email Settings. So really there is not a need for this.....
  3. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 22:44
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    So really there is not a need for this.....
    It's not such a bad idea. I think the point of wanting emails only when you are not on the site is interesting.

There was a time when so many emails were being sent that the site was marked as a spam source. If this change cut down the number of emails sent, especially to players who play alot of quick games, that could be avoided in future.

I think the implementation might be more difficult. How would you judge if someone is still active? Queue emails for 10 minutes and delete if the player moves in that time? This might just be alot of hassle to implement on the server side.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 22:56
    Originally posted by gezza
    especially to players who play alot of quick games
    Anyone who is that active shouldn't need emails to alert them someone had moved.

Besides, hasn't someone already developed a client that sits in your system-tray and alerts you when a game is waiting?
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 23:29
    Originally posted by rhb
    Anyone who is that active shouldn't need emails to alert them someone had moved.

Besides, hasn't someone already developed a client that sits in your system-tray and alerts you when a game is waiting?
    Admittedly not, but if I remember right, the option default was to get emails. The idea would reduce mails to people who have the option set, but are playing enough not to need the option.

The system tray sounds like a windows only thing, and besides, for it to work it would have to poll the server regularly. An email note if you don't have alot of games going would be more useful.
  6. London
    Moves
    06 Jan '06 20:39
    Originally posted by voidet
    Hey!

Love the setup of this site, keeps getting better.
    Just playing 6 games at one time can get annoying with the constant stream of emails coming in. Was thinking an option like: send emails only when inactive. So when i log off from the site, any moves made will then send me an email, and when i am logged in no mails will be mailed.

This way i am in ...[text shortened]... tly on the site and am not annoyed by the flood of emails when i am playing.

Regards,
    Voidet
    Go My Settings > My Personal Settings and change your email address. This means you won't recieve any more mail but you will have to remember to log in with that email each time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree