1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 14:53
    Since the new board code, some people have reported success on PDAs with the tiny legacy boards. (As I had hoped.)

Although completely untested on a PDA (!), I have produced a new RHP brand which can be tried with such devices. Support is not guaranteed, of course, but this is the best bet if you need mobile access.

Anyway,

Accessed here :

mobile.redhotpawn.com

If you do use this new brand (or even normal RHP) on a mobile device, I would love hear about it so I can build up a list of supported devices.

Notes :

Non-subs can only make 500 moves on this interface.
    Your main brand board settings do not need to be altered each session, because legacy micro board is used and cannot be changed.
    Ads are turned off, and menus have been removed.
    If you navigated predominantly with the menus before, you will need to change your habits.

I would love to hear if this really is of any use to anyone. I do not plan to spend a great deal of time on this, but I will make further tweaks if required.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Since the new board code, some people have reported success on PDAs with the tiny legacy boards. (As I had hoped.)

Although completely untested on a PDA (!), I have produced a new RHP brand which can be tried with such devices. Support is not guaranteed, of course, but this is the best bet if you need mobile access.

Anyway,

Accessed here :

mobile ...[text shortened]... plan to spend a great deal of time on this, but I will make further tweaks if required.

-Russ
    It functions (i.e. I can make moves) on a Nokia N70 mobile phone, using the Opera browser.

Observations - pieces are a little large (the browser won't center the game in the window), and I can't convince it to change the filters on the game list (I can't move to the menu once it's appeared).
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 21:47
    On the Sony Ericson k700i it is possible to view the homepage, but access no other page. More the phone than the site, but the site being available could tempt me to upgrade to a true mobile internet phone.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 23:10
    Don't expect too much luck with a phone - that really would require a whole new presentation layer on the site. (Which probably isn't going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately, as other tasks now have a higher priority) What is there now may or may not help some people...

-Russ
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 02:19
    Site is viewable, but I still cannot click the board to make a move on mobile IE. Should this version remain, that is fine, since I can still make notes on games and that will be suffiecient, but if a text entry field wouldn't be amazingly hard, it would probably make it possible.

Space moved from: ___
    Space moved to: ___

something like that?
  6. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 11:35
    Don't expect too much luck with a phone - that really would require a whole new presentation layer on the site. (Which probably isn't going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately, as other tasks now have a higher priority) What is there now may or may not help some people...

-Russ
    This would be awesome though, and I imagine carriers would be falling over themselves to throw money at you to get this going. Anything to bring in the data revenue...
  7. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 12:29
    Originally posted by murrow
    This would be awesome though, and I imagine carriers would be falling over themselves to throw money at you to get this going. Anything to bring in the data revenue...
    ssssh! don't tell 'em - they take enough of my money for data charges as it is!
  8. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 09:27
    Testing it on a Qtek 9090 with Windows Mobile 2003 2nd edition, and standard Internet Explorer:

- in default layout the board is about 20% of screen
    - in desktop layout board is about 80% of screen
    - pieces can't be selected or moved

Otherwise this look good!
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 09:32
    Originally posted by erling
    Testing it on a Qtek 9090 with Windows Mobile 2003 2nd edition, and standard Internet Explorer:

- in default layout the board is about 20% of screen
    - in desktop layout board is about 80% of screen
    - pieces can't be selected or moved

Otherwise this look good!
    Thanks for the feedback.

That is interesting.

"in default layout the board is about 20% of screen"

Does the browser always scale the graphics, even if they are small already then?

As for moving pieces, it is clear we need a completely JavaScript free system for moving. I will add one in the coming weeks.

-Russ
  10. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 14:39
    I'm using an O2 XDA Mini S (basically an HTC wizard rebranded) and Opera Windows Mobile 5 browser (beta version) and all looks good.

- Board displays fine.
    - You can move pieces.
    - Access the game options, resign, go to next game etc.

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to check.
  11. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 17:54
    Does the browser always scale the graphics, even if they are small already then?
    No, I don't think it scales graphics specifically - it just seems like the board came out in a 'mini'-version here.
    I'm not certain if Windows Mobile support Java?
  12. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '06 14:33
    "I'm not certain if Windows Mobile support Java?"
    misunderstood - yes, Javascript free system for moving would be good.
  13. Standard memberrroselavy
    Fresh Widow
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 08:143 edits
    Your main brand board settings do not need to be altered each session, because legacy micro board is used and cannot be changed.
    Ads are turned off, and menus have been removed.
    If you navigated predominantly with the menus before, you will need to change your habits.
    Hey Russ-

Moves seem to work on my Palm T|X, but the micro board is a bit tiny. The small board is just about right. I am not sure why there is a limitation of board sizes through this url.

I am glad to have the CSS(?) menus gone, since they have never worked in the Blazer browser.

I really wish there was Analysis and Flip Board functionality. The old RHP board allowed me to Analyze, just not make moves. Are these things impossible?

The Info link to each game brings up the floating Info window for a brief second before the entire page automatically reloads, causing the floating Info window to disappear. This behavior has always been this way on my T|X.

Thanks...more notes to come...
  14. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 19:211 edit
    Russ

It appears to work correctly on a Palm LifeDrive - I have just made a move using the new site.

I can view the legacy board on the main site, and I have successfully made a move there too.

The best thing about the mobile site is the lack of ads, and lack of pretty pictures. This makes loading up much quicker. I can now play on my lunch break.

Thanks for the improvement.
    Gezza

ps. This is not a recommendation for Palm LifeDrive. Read the reviews and do your homework before you buy a new PDA.
    [1 edit for clarity of meaning]
  15. Subscribergregaj
    Grega Jesih
    Koper
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:12
    Go mobile rhp !!! YEEE!

I will test this new feature and report ASAP. I did not find this thread 3 days ago when I had HP's ipaq 4700. Report will come soon.
    I was lost in other similar but not exact themes.

🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree