1. c6
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 11:58
    Suppose each player on the site has an opportunity to create a custom set of openings, and activate them all as pre-moves at the beginning of each game, such that two such players can "blitz out" their favorite opening moves and get to the meat of the game faster?

Example:

White leads e4, and activates all his standard book responses against 1...e6 1...e5 1...c6 1...d6, etc.
    Black responds with 1...c6. Both players' books keep spitting Caro-Kann moves at each other until one book runs out, or one book plays a novelty.

For players who enjoy lengthy main-line openings, this would really save the trouble of having to make the first 12 or 13 moves manually or via conditional moves.

Yes, it's a lot like Deep Mode, but the difference is that these opening books would be persistent to every player's account, which would save the time of programming variations by hand for each game.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 12:25
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    Suppose each player on the site has an opportunity to create a custom set of openings, and activate them all as pre-moves at the beginning of each game, such that two such players can "blitz out" their favorite opening moves and get to the meat of the game faster?

Example:

White leads e4, and activates all his standard book responses against 1...e6 ...[text shortened]... layer's account, which would save the time of programming variations by hand for each game.
    You can already do something similar by "setting up your own board " from the New Game option.

However each time you would need to set the board up, so the ability to save the opening and use it each time woudl be a good idea for those that wanted the option.
  3. c6
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 13:40
    Those games are unrated, though. Set piece games are also agreed upon before the game starts, which is more of a 'theme tournament' motif.

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of having each player be able to design a Fritz-style opening book from scratch.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 19:30
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    Those games are unrated, though. Set piece games are also agreed upon before the game starts, which is more of a 'theme tournament' motif.

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of having each player be able to design a Fritz-style opening book from scratch.
    a) One danger would be games getting more boring as openings become more static.

b) It doesn't take a lot of time to do an opening you *always* do, and if your openings vary you might end up constantly editing your preferences.

c) I imagine typos in your opening database could be costly!
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 06:47
    i like this idea a lot, except for allowing it to go more than just a few moves.

What would be wrong with everyone having a favorite set of maybe 6 or 8 openings that go around 5 to 8 moves deep? That would save a lot of time.
  6. c6
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 18:40
    The idea of a move cap on book openings seems to solve the 'staleness' problem nicely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree