1. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 21:03
    Hi,
    not sure if this is possible already... often in the forums.. people post chess problems.. and when you reply you use hidden to avoid giving away the answer to those who don't want to see it yet. Maybe I'm being lazy but when you "unhide" moves it's difficult at least for me to visualize especially it it's 5 or 6 moves. Would it be possible to have something in the PGN viewer where the moves on the right hand side are either completely missing or better only appear as they are made ?

Mike
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Hi,
    not sure if this is possible already... often in the forums.. people post chess problems.. and when you reply you use hidden to avoid giving away the answer to those who don't want to see it yet. Maybe I'm being lazy but when you "unhide" moves it's difficult at least for me to visualize especially it it's 5 or 6 moves. Would it be possible to h ...[text shortened]... t hand side are either completely missing or better only appear as they are made ?

Mike
    Hey Mike,

Consider getting a PGN viewer like Winboard or ChessPad. They are easy enough to find online with google.

You paste in the existing PGN, and type (or drag the pieces, typing is easier I feel) the solution moves and there you go... you are able to view the solution.

They are also great for toying around to FIND the solution on your own. Sounds like you're just viewing the PGN at RHP, and from there reading moves without a viewer.

These tools are also great for book study, since you can load up a position or opening and toy around all you like with it. You can even save them or post them to RHP for others to enjoy.

P-
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 21:141 edit
    Hi,
    it was more I was wanting to post a solution which would appear as a board but without giving the solution away. That way if people wanted a hint at the first move they could see as little or as much of the solution as they wanted. Also, if I hover over a hidden, the moves appear.. but I don't seem able to copy them into a buffer.

Mike
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Mar '11 21:29
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Hi,
    it was more I was wanting to post a solution which would appear as a board but without giving the solution away. That way if people wanted a hint at the first move they could see as little or as much of the solution as they wanted. Also, if I hover over a hidden, the moves appear.. but I don't seem able to copy them into a buffer.

Mike
    Another problem with 'hidden' is when folks reply the hidden info is there to see as a spoiler in the quoted box. I asked for that to change some time back.

Not sure how RHP could make your wish come true, with branching optional hidden moves in a PGN.

GL, it's not a bad idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree