1. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    31 Oct '04 06:12
    This would be the best thing to happen to RHP since...I dunno. Who wouldn't want a searchable database of all the RHP games ever played? Think of the quality of the games!
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    31 Oct '04 11:07
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    This would be the best thing to happen to RHP since...I dunno. Who wouldn't want a searchable database of all the RHP games ever played? Think of the quality of the games!
    yes yes yes!
    This would be much work for Russ and for the server, but it'd be wonderful to have!
    please...
    th
  3. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    31 Oct '04 11:261 edit
    I've been working on this for a few months now, is nearly ready for release...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=13576&page=%202
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    31 Oct '04 21:47
    I dunno if we are talking about the same thing. I didn't take the time to read the whole posts, so correct me if I am wrong. I am looking for a search function for every game ever played on RHP, so that you can search the games for the current position on some search board, and the games could also be filtered by rating, player name, and result. I thought when I read the post yours was for entering your own games.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 03:55
    I dunno if we are talking about the same thing. I didn't take the time to read the whole posts, so correct me if I am wrong. I am looking for a search function for every game ever played on RHP, so that you can search the games for the current position on some search board, and the games could also be filtered by rating, player name, and result. I thought when I read the post yours was for entering your own games.
    Position search would be much welcome. And since RHP already operates with FEN, it might be not that difficult to implement.
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 04:51
    Originally posted by TovMauzer
    Position search would be much welcome. And since RHP already operates with FEN, it might be not that difficult to implement.
    I agree. It would really set it apart from other sites too. Noone else has this I don't think!
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 05:39
    Great idea.
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 08:53
    I agree. It would really set it apart from other sites too. Noone else has this I don't think!
    well, look at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer, http://gameknot.com/chessgames.pl or http://www.chesslive.de/index_d.htm

I don't like it much, quoting other websites here, but... it exists somehow...
    th
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 09:53
    Originally posted by thire
    well, look at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer, http://gameknot.com/chessgames.pl or http://www.chesslive.de/index_d.htm

th
    That's really cool.

It could probably be done without killing the servers as well. It doesn't have to be live data. If a process was run once a week to collate all the stats, that would be good enough.

Its kind of important to only show games played by people over a certain rating as well, or else there'd be a lot of funny openings.

D
  10. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by thire

th
    The first and last example are not on Correspondence sites and have games played by GM's and such. The second is not really what I want. I want a board (like the analyze board) that you can search all the games on RHP for the current position on that board. Also being able to filter the games by rating or player would be great. So I could be like, Ok, I want to see all the games in the Four Knights (and move the corresponding pieces) played by all the 1900+ rated players on this site. Think of the learning that could be done off this. It would really drive the quality of the games up here, with people being able to use a database of an insane amount of games. What I propose would have an interface with just a board and the empty space for the list of games that would pop up when you search. So when I make a search what would come up would be the Players, Result, and such for the game. Then that game in the list could be clicked on, and played out on the search board. Then I could go through the whole list of searched games like so. It could look exactly like chessbases free online database but for RHP. It would be insanely sweet. I drop in here every 3 months or so and request the same thing. I think if we get enough people going for this that Russ would do it. Sorry for my rambling.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 20:32
    I want a board (like the analyze board) that you can search all the games on RHP for the current position on that board.
    Sounds kind of like you want to see what the really good players do in the same position as you are in. Isn't that like getting a computer to decide your moves for you? It would definitely be considered 3rd party assistance which is against the TOS.

I'm sure it would be good educationally, but if everybody used it during rated games, then we'd all be 1900+ players.

I think being able to get people's games is a good idea, just maybe not in the way you describe it.

D
  12. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 21:24
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Sounds kind of like you want to see what the really good players do in the same position as you are in. Isn't that like getting a computer to decide your moves for you? It would definitely be considered 3rd party assistance which is against the TOS.

I'm sure it would be good educationally, but if everybody used it during rated games, then we'd all b ...[text shortened]... eing able to get people's games is a good idea, just maybe not in the way you describe it.

D
    Actually you are completely and utterly wrong. What I am essentially asking for is a database of all the games played on RHP, searchable from the site. And in CC, databases and books are completely legal. Don't accuse me of wanting to cheat if you have no idea what you are talking about chief.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 21:35
    Actually you are completely and utterly wrong. What I am essentially asking for is a database of all the games played on RHP, searchable from the site. And in CC, databases and books are completely legal. Don't accuse me of wanting to cheat if you have no idea what you are talking about chief.
    GK online database is cool, but it has its limitations - no search functions. What ~TONY~ suggests is more like Chessbase search and it would be a great feature in my view. And treating it as 3d-party assistance would be absurd - it is legal under TOS to check GM games, so what is the difference? And, anyway, I see such feature usage more for studying & preparation, not as live game assistance.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 22:03
    A bit aggro aren't we?

I know that databases and books are legal in CC.

Let me get your idea straight. You want to lay out the pieces (for say the position after move 30) on a search board, and you want all games which had that exact position to be returned?

D

15. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    01 Nov '04 23:20
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    A bit aggro aren't we?

I know that databases and books are legal in CC.

Let me get your idea straight. You want to lay out the pieces (for say the position after move 30) on a search board, and you want all games which had that exact position to be returned?

D

A little wrong are we? What the hell difference is there if I searched for a response to 1. e4 as opposed to the endgame that resulted in Kasparov-Karpov? Nothing. When you look up the variations on move 3 after 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6. 3.? , are you searching for what GM's and theoreticians regard as the BEST MOVE. I consider looking for what RHPers sought as the best move in the position (no offense) less cheating than looking at what GM's did. I don't really know what your problem is. I am glad someone agrees with me though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree