1. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 22:49
    I'm not quite sure what to call the facility I have in mind - pre-move will do for now.

When I have lots of games in progress, I like to do some analysis on several, then determine likely moves in each. But in complex games against high-ranking opponents, I like to sleep on the move, literally. The trouble is, often I forget what it was I'd had in mind the day or so before, and end up doing the analysis all over again. That's tiresome. I could write stuff down of course. But, well, you know how it is...

So what I'd like is something that allows me to log my planned move, sleep on it, and return to it before finally deciding to hit 'send'. It could be that the pe-move is highlighted in, say, red on the game board, with an 'uncheck' square to change the red highlight to green before sending. Or of course, changing the desired move altogether before sending.

...unless of course such a facility already exists which I've not noticed
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 23:44
    Originally posted by atticus2
    I'm not quite sure what to call the facility I have in mind - pre-move will do for now.

When I have lots of games in progress, I like to do some analysis on several, then determine likely moves in each. But in complex games against high-ranking opponents, I like to sleep on the move, literally. The trouble is, often I forget what it was I'd had in ...[text shortened]... e sending.

Take a look at the notebook button on the game page, just below message etc. That is exactly what you are asking about.
  3. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 08:44
    Ah, yes! Clueless me! 🙂 That will do fine. Thanks for pointing it out. I looked straight past that item
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 22:24
    Just make sure you don't confuse "Notebook" with "Message Opponent". =)
  5. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 23:13
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    Just make sure you don't confuse "Notebook" with "Message Opponent". =)
    I've done that before - easily done
  6. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2

When I have lots of games in progress, I like to do some analysis on several, then determine likely moves in each. But in complex games against high-ranking opponents, I like to sleep on the move, literally. The trouble is, often I forget what it was I'd had in e sending.

I don't think this idea is dead.

Perhaps allow saving variations on the "Analyze Board" function, so
    they can be saved to the notebook...this way you don't have to retro
    all your moves back and type them up.

This would make this function much easier to use. A simple "Save
    Variation" would be great...especially posted in notebook, so you could
    type after the variation what you were thinking through it.

Furthermore, if game annotations becomes a reality, then saving the
    notebook for annotations would become easier. Suddenly the analysis
    board becomes a powerful tool, rather than a usable tool.

-GIN

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree