1. Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    08 May '05 21:24
    Personally I think getting rid of the current system for an image line graph would be a big downgrade. Unless you kept the hover summary info (and I'd think that would get more difficult with 300 game line graphs than with the current display).

As for displaying multiple data line's on a single image graph this I think would mostly just complicate the already streamlined system in place. Right now if you hover over a game you see their rating at the time, their opponents rating, if the game was won or lost, and if you move your cursor right 1 place you see if they won or lost. With a line-graph you'd have to have 1 line for their rating, and 1 line for their opponents rating and hope that both ratings stay fairly steady (if you're playing a 2000+ then a 1000- etc etc it's going to make for an impossible graph on a 300 game timeline - you'd need a ruler to find the matching players rating and opponents rating on any particular game 😉).

I think a much better development would be something related to the hovering windows on the my games screen (when you click info on a game)... maybe make clicking each bar on the players game history pop up a window like this, only with information like # of moves, game outcome (who won, whether it was a timeout etc), number of moves... anything you want really (maybe even make the displayed options customizable for each person) - and in that popup then have an ahref to the actual analyze window for that game.

Anyways I feel as if I'm rambling and not being very clear on my idea anyways.. but basically I'd favor improving on the current design over throwing it away for something new.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 May '05 21:48
    My thanks to everyone, as always. It is clear that more people use this feature than I anticipated.

-Russ
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    08 May '05 21:49
    Is it worth a vote?
  4. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    08 May '05 22:21
    Originally posted by Russ
    Would anyone miss the navigation feature on the profile graphs?

I am considering introducing a proper graph (an image), which will show rating over time with the x-axis fixed at daily intervals.

So, would this be upgrade or a downgrade in your opinion?

Keep in mind that if I do use a graph I may well be able to map on other stats such as the number of moves each day too.

-Russ
    i myself would like this improvement but also would like the old graph to be kept, as i use this a lot. I think this should be put in the rarely used 'votes' section to be voted on by all.
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    08 May '05 23:57
    The power of the current linked graph is due to its ability to study the unusual: typically finding lost games for players who's ratings are monotomic increasing. However were the "show games" feature upgraded (e.g. radio/checkboxes for "in progress", "finished", "won", "lost", "by timeout only" and some ordering tools: rating; time completed; alphapetical player) then the main use of this graph could be moved, allowing you to do as you wihed to the picture itself.
    Or something.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 May '05 02:48
    Originally posted by Toe
    The power of the current linked graph is due to its ability to study the unusual: typically finding lost games for players who's ratings are monotomic increasing. However were the "show games" feature upgraded (e.g. radio/checkboxes for "in progress", "finished", "won", "lost", "by timeout only" and some ordering tools: rating; time completed; alpha ...[text shortened]... his graph could be moved, allowing you to do as you wihed to the picture itself.
    Or something.
    Yes this is the correct answer I feel.
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    09 May '05 09:29
    why not boost the graph as you say then boost the navigation later via a very slightly improved version of:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/viewpublicgames.php?isminiboard=on&uid=44714

give us the option to see only lost games, or only drawn games, or only won games.

then it is all happy happy joy joy!!!
  8. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    09 May '05 12:19
    Another good idea by flexmore...! Keep the graph, but let us see (with colours?) which games were won, lost or were drawed.
  9. Gloucestershire , UK
    Moves
    09 May '05 12:38
    i think it should be changed, i mentioned colours in a previous thrread so that gets the thumbs up from me. if people use the old graph alot why not have two graphs or would that be asking too much

10. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    10 May '05 23:10
    I like a line graph, similar to the one chessbase uses to track games. All im worried about is progress and a line graph shows progress. Bar graphs are for quantity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree