1. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 22:09
    Originally posted by Russ
    One solution is to have a clan proxy player, one per clan, and that can only be used for this purpose. It would not be possible to login as this player. Ratings could then apply.

It certainly would make this feature far easier to implement.
    I like the original idea better -- who in the clan would vote against the highest rated players
    move choice (generally). i think all we'd see would be the top rated players playing against the
    top rated players (if i'm understanding the suggestion properly). not a bad idea for another idea,
    but i really think it would be fun, if able to implement, to move turn by turn based on individual
    players.

OP rec'd.
  2. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 23:13
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    I like the original idea better -- who in the clan would vote against the highest rated players
    move choice (generally). i think all we'd see would be the top rated players playing against the
    top rated players (if i'm understanding the suggestion properly). not a bad idea for another idea,
    but i really think it would be fun, if able to implement, to move turn by turn based on individual
    players.

OP rec'd.
    Fun? All i forsee is 'higher rated' players getting pissed off because 'lower rated' players trow away thier game because of not-so-fully-thought-true-moves:p
  3. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 23:29
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    Fun? All i forsee is 'higher rated' players getting pissed off because 'lower rated' players trow away thier game because of not-so-fully-thought-true-moves:p
    Maybe -- I guess there would have to be an option for clan members to make themselves
    available for these challenges...then no whining would be allowed from higher rated players.

Now that I think about it, how would there be any way to check that a higher rated player didn't
    PM a lower rated player with advice during a lower rated player's move?

To me, it sounds like a very fun idea as long as there was a way to make sure that the spirit of
    the idea was not compromised. I really like team games like this.
  4. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 00:00
    Its not going to affect the top rated players personal ratings at all, in anyway....If anything they may get some extra dimension to their own game........like playing with a handicap on their side.

our top rated player in the Chessaroos participated in a game amongst other clan members of our clan, the ratings varied dramatically, he enjoyed it...Yes he likes to play top level chess on a personal level, but he also enjoyed playing as a team player along side other members, without the attitude he is too good to be anti social.
  5. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 09:16
    Originally posted by barstudd
    Its not going to affect the top rated players personal ratings at all, in anyway....If anything they may get some extra dimension to their own game........like playing with a handicap on their side.

our top rated player in the Chessaroos participated in a game amongst other clan members of our clan, the ratings varied dramatically, he enjoyed it...Yes ...[text shortened]... s a team player along side other members, without the attitude he is too good to be anti social.
    I know it wont effect peoples personal rating.
    I think that, in general:
    Lower rated players play alot of games and move very fast.
    Higher rated players play less games and often take some time to analyse befor making a move.

So what i forsee happening is that higher rated players put some time in a move, think of a plan of attack or defense or whatever. Next its a lower rated players turn to move. With a single move the whole tactics the higher rated developped is crushed. In other words, he wasted his time.
    And i think most players dont like to waste thier time. (This has nothing to do with being anti social).

There is a solution to this however. Something were clanmembers can also play as a team. They dont move individually in the same game tho, they move all together. One move on which the whole team agrees to play by consulting in the private forum. You guessed it; they are called consultation games.
  6. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 06:431 edit
    I know it wont effect peoples personal rating.
    I think that, in general:
    Lower rated players play alot of games and move very fast.
    Higher rated players play less games and often take some time to analyse befor making a move.

So what i forsee happening is that higher rated players put some time in a move, think of a plan of attack or defense or whatev ...[text shortened]... to play by consulting in the private forum. You guessed it; they are called consultation games.
    I am sure if they chose to play they wont be that concerned about their effort and work versus other clansmens choices....

the same goes for both clans.

So on a positive note: Im sure they are not going to play with negativity ruling their reason to play.

besides we played an intraclan version of this and the lower rated players do lift their game a little when they know other team members are watching.

😉so the bottom line is the choice to play belongs to the individual, bit like clans and tournaments you have to make the decision yourself to participate.😉
  7. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 03:21
    SO any thoughts on the idea?
  8. e4
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 13:42
    Good idea.

It won't affect players ratings so the stronger players won't be too hacked off
    if a player makes a lemon.

Of course I am the only member of Bates Motel, my birds have all flown away.

So I look forward to arguing with myself about what move to play.
  9. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 21:04
    Sounds interesting .. one thing to think about is whether communication is allowed between the players. eg - If the player having just moved can say something like "This looks like a blunder, but if they take the bishop we can win the queen with ..." etc.

- If it's not allowed, then games are likely to be quite stilted as not everyone will have the same style of play / long term plan.

- If it is allowed, then we risk all out war when the player who is moving chooses to ignore the instructions of the previous player 🙂

But as others have said, if it's not rated and just a bit of fun, it doesn't really matter. I'd certainly be up for a game if it was implemented.
  10. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 09:51
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Good idea.

It won't affect players ratings so the stronger players won't be too hacked off
    if a player makes a lemon.

Of course I am the only member of Bates Motel, my birds have all flown away.

So I look forward to arguing with myself about what move to play.
    Maybe the option of a forced move or selecting reserve players to stand in place of a member who appears to be not moving or holding the game up...but the players personal rating would not be affected.

We could have progressive team rating and possibly a tournament knockout to go with it, another option is to introduce them into the clubs as a club feature...we could divide the club into groups.
  11. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 08:571 edit
    well...maybe the clan proxy player idea can work, while each move is still governed by
    one player, instead of a concensus.

How about a lineup of players for a set amount of moves?

Moves 1-5 Player A moves
    Moves 6-10 Player B moves
    Moves 11-15 Player C moves

Then, we could matchup parts of each game to other players as well... so it'd be
    fair for that time period of the game... Just let the control of the proxy player be
    distributed by changeable guidelines. So each set could be changed after 1 move, or
    maybe 20!

Seems like that would be interesting... let a "lesser player" stir up a mess; that an
    advanced player has to do his best to rectify... with a couple moves chance, it
    would seem very worthwhile... also the learning would be better, as good
    players would get a chance to move in succession - to perform a tactic or
    idea.

-GIN

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree