1. Joined
    05 Aug '04
    Moves
    13 Apr '05 21:52
    I think something needs to be done about large rating variations.

Some deliberately lower their rating by resigning games or allowing timeouts so that they can enter lower banded tournies. Others, maybe though no fault of their own are absent for sometime and thus suffer move timeout losses. This is the more likely senario.

Playing someone rated 1100 who has been as high as 1700 in a banded tourni is a bit gauling as it reduces your rating far more than it should do given the players skill level. A floor would seem to be the solution but an algorithm of rolling average/highest rating would seem the most appropriate. It may be difficult to set up but would be fairer.

(Highest rating - Rolling Average rating) /2 = floor differential.
    Floor = Rolling average - floor differential

This would mean that a player rated consistantly in the 2000's over 100 games may have a rating of 2100 and a rolling average of 2010 thus his floor would be 1975.

A player who's rating goes up and down due to grouped wins/loses or because they have progressed due to good fortune may have a max rating of 1600 and a rolling average of 1350 thus their floor would be 1225. This would be for someone normally rated in the 1300's but had a spike up to 1600. Thus 1225 would be only 100 lower than their normal rating.

I know it's a bit complicated but it would result in players who are missing from the site returning at a rating level consistant with their skill level.

🙄
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 15:22
    A rating floor is an excellent idea. I'm playing a guy who's rating just dropped like a stone. I hate to time him out, but it'll take a bite out of my rating if he wins. And if he's rating keeps dropping, it's not fair to the next guy he plays who won't know he's much better then his rating shows. And the whole point of ratings should be to see how good a player is at the game. Right now a person's rating has only a tentative connection to the players skill level.

I guess the problems is how do you penalize someone who times out? I think there should be a grade keep on players that tells an opponent the frequency the player times out. It would have no effect on the players rating - but it would warn you before you play him. Consider it similar to a credit rating.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '03
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 19:05
    EXELENT IDEA!

THE ACTUAL RATING SYSTEM AS OLD AND STRANGE, I NORMALLY USE FIDE SYSTEM ... BUT ANY OTHER SYSTEM DIFERENT TO THE ACTUAL IS OK =D

Fast Players For Ever!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree