1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 20:28
    Why can others change quotes in the forums when they choose to 'reply and quote'? Shouldn't the quote be 'locked'?
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    ... change quotes ...
    You might want to reply to a specific part of a long post.
    The quoted text is truncated so unless you cite the bit you're replying to, the replies can look confusing.

[edit: I believe people have received forum bans for deliberately misquoting]
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:131 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    You have a good point, I agree.

[edit: I believe people have received forum bans for deliberately misquoting]
    πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 02:07
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Why can others change quotes in the forums when they choose to 'reply and quote'? Shouldn't the quote be 'locked'?
    I think the idea is that you can shorten it or only respond to some of it. Sometimes people might make 3 points in an email and I want to only respond to one.

I've never seen a forum that didn't allow the modification of the quoted text.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 13:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I think the idea is that you can shorten it or only respond to some of it. Sometimes people might make 3 points in an email and I want to only respond to one.

I've never seen a forum that didn't allow the modification of the quoted text.
    You can cut the text if you want to quote a portion, but changing the wording has been frowned on by moderators. People have been banned if they continue to change what another user wrote.

It can become very confusing in the forums if one user is reading your quote, and that user never said what was quoted.

P-
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '07 16:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You can cut the text if you want to quote a portion, but changing the wording has been frowned on by moderators. People have been banned if they continue to change what another user wrote.

It can become very confusing in the forums if one user is reading your quote, and that user never said what was quoted.

P-
    I agree. People should be banned and at least frowned upon if they do change the wording of a quote.

Shortening or quoting only part of it shouldn't be a problem though.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:04
    and guess what... we have a little message when u click reply and quote that talks about this. Looks like the big guy upstairs knows a genius when he sees one πŸ˜›
  9. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:10
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I disagree. People should not be banned or frowned πŸ™ upon if they do change the wording of a quote. This is what makes reading the whole forum fun. The original quote will always be in the thread unless it was deleted because it was inappropriate. What a lame concern!
    πŸ™
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jul '07 00:50
    Originally posted by Gastel
    πŸ™
    http://www.timeforchess.com/img/uix/info.gif

Please edit quoted text responsibly. Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban.

----------------

It is fine, and you are welcome to change the text if you like at your own discretion, but when a thread becomes several pages long many may not bother finding the original post...

And many users have alerted quoted text as being altered in the past.

So fell free to do it, but be warned.

P-
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 22:30
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So fell free to do it, but be WARNED. ©

P-
    Fixed!

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree