1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 15:33
    A rating floor would keep a persons rating from dropping more than a certain number of points or percentage. It could be designed to put a break on the fall in ratings one might experience due to getting a stream of losses due to time-out.

Consider the following game: Game 1271049

This was a game from the "July Hardcore Grand III" grand between Peter9 (rated 2214) and Coynio (rated 767). You'd expect it to be an easy win for Peter9. But it looks like Coynio help up well for a low rated player. But look at Coynio's rating history.

Now I'm thinking what if I were playing Coynio. It's is possible (even likely) that Conynio would beat me. And for that I'd take a significant rating lose (my rating is 1215 at this time). And if I won, my rating would barely move. This is why I think some sort of rating floor or method of slowing the lose due to timeouts would be a benefit.

Clearly Coynio's a better player than his (her) rating indicates. If I ever played him, win or lose, the effect on my rating and his should reflect that.

As for Peter9, well there's no question who'd win so I won't go there. 😉

Coletti
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 15:59
    Originally posted by Coletti
    A rating floor would keep a persons rating from dropping more than a certain number of points or percentage. It could be designed to put a break on the fall in ratings one might experience due to getting a stream of losses due to time-out.

Consider the following game: Game 1271049

This was a game from the "July Hardcore Grand III" grand betwee ...[text shortened]... at.

As for Peter9, well there's no question who'd win so I won't go there. 😉

Coletti
    1350 vs. 2200 is still an easy win.

Try finding a better example next time.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 03:49
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    1350 vs. 2200 is still an easy win.

Try finding a better example next time.
    You missed the point entirely - it has little to do with how easy the win was, but how artificially low Coynio's ratings is now and how that effects other players points. Besides, he held his own in the game I referenced.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 04:06
    Originally posted by Coletti
    You missed the point entirely - it has little to do with how easy the win was, but how artificially low Coynio's ratings is now and how that effects other players points. Besides, he held his own in the game I referenced.
    Game 1345257

When the game was played:
    Dustnrogers: 1059
    Marko Krale: 1637

Now that's a good example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree