Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    25 Jul '05 20:50
    Originally posted by kris1234
    too many people have "artifical ratings as they are using irisponsible timeouts to their advantage. i think you should only be able to timeout an opponent if s/he stops moving altogeather rather than if s/he is in a traffic jam, late back from work etc.
    Id love to see the code for the 'is late from work' validation rule
  2. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    25 Jul '05 21:09
    Originally posted by kris1234
    no what i mean is when all their time is up the rhp server must check that they havent been recently active or not made moves on other games.
    define 'recently'
  3. 25 Jul '05 21:14
    Originally posted by kris1234
    too many people have "artifical ratings as they are using irisponsible timeouts to their advantage. i think you should only be able to timeout an opponent if s/he stops moving altogeather rather than if s/he is in a traffic jam, late back from work etc.
    Good idea. Rec!..................................................................................................................................................psyche!
  4. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    25 Jul '05 22:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kris1234
    too many people have "artifical ratings as they are using irisponsible timeouts to their advantage. i think you should only be able to timeout an opponent if s/he stops moving altogeather rather than if s/he is in a traffic jam, late back from work etc.
    No such thing as an irresponsible timeout - only irresponsible players who fail to adhere to the time constraints they've agreed to - AND irresponsible posters who make silly, thoughless suggestions like this in the site ideas forum, not bothering to read the hundred of threads that discuss this very topic in the very same forum... which would have explained exactly why this suggestion is so ludicrous and saved me the hassle of firstly reading the darn post and secondly saved me the hassle of typing out this mind-numbingly tedious reply.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    25 Jul '05 22:22
    Originally posted by kris1234
    too many people have "artifical ratings as they are using irisponsible timeouts to their advantage. i think you should only be able to timeout an opponent if s/he stops moving altogeather rather than if s/he is in a traffic jam, late back from work etc.
    So my opponent couldn't time me out in a game as long as I was still active on the site?
    So I could move in other games to stop that game timing out?

    It's genius.
  6. 01 Aug '05 01:56
    Originally posted by rhb
    define 'recently'
    good idea! rhp could do a "login check" if the player has logged in then it would be resonable to assume they could have made a move. therefore rhp could email a "time out warning"
  7. Standard member Nyxie
    The eyes of truth
    01 Aug '05 07:45
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    So my opponent couldn't time me out in a game as long as I was still active on the site?
    So I could move in other games to stop that game timing out?

    It's genius.
    It's absolutely appalling. I don't time out if they've stopped moving for a while. But if they're moving on the site and neglecting our game, I timeout idmediately.
  8. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    01 Aug '05 07:51
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    It's absolutely appalling. I don't time out if they've stopped moving for a while. But if they're moving on the site and neglecting our game, I timeout idmediately.
    If only I had in fact meant that yet said the exact opposite in a way that could possibly be viewed as mildly humorous.
  9. Standard member ivangrice
    Deracinated
    01 Aug '05 08:00
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If only I had in fact meant that yet said the exact opposite in a way that could possibly be viewed as mildly humorous.
    Time for an 'irony' emoticon?

    (Oh, I forgot - the Yanks have no conception of irony).
  10. Standard member Wheely
    Instant Buzz
    01 Aug '05 17:09
    Originally posted by xlchainsaw
    good idea! rhp could do a "login check" if the player has logged in then it would be resonable to assume they could have made a move. therefore rhp could email a "time out warning"
    Most people never log out.
  11. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    01 Aug '05 23:31
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Most people never log out.
    I log out 35 times per day
  12. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Aug '05 15:58
    I think people should be able to time any game out even if the other guy just moved. That way you could win more and everyone's rating would be around 2600.

    P-
  13. 03 Aug '05 17:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I think people should be able to time any game out even if the other guy just moved. That way you could win more and everyone's rating would be around 2600.

    P-
    play 0/0