1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 22:21
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    So the way I see it I'm short 29 points from a more accurate measure.
    You don't seem to understand how the rating system works.

D
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 22:241 edit
    What a comment. Did I imply rating changes how well any player plays? I do realize it is a measuring tool.
    If you look at the example I used I lost 7 games to player rated well above me. I lost rating points on each one. The balance you write of is suppose to come back in the form of more rating points gained for winning above my rating. For e ...[text shortened]... ey dumped losses in bulk. So the way I see it I'm short 29 points from a more accurate measure.
    Mixo & FabianFnas already pointed out that if you go by the start rating, you could get some really weird scores.

... and anyway - if they nail you that often (7/8), why are you chasing a 'fluke' win so hard - seems you're being denied rating points that you didn't 'win' so much as your opponent 'lost'. Maybe if they hadn't been so upset over the games they'd lost due to being timed out on because of 'circumstance' they might have nailed you again - did you stop to think of that? huh? did you?

Instead of nailing the rating change to the start of the game, I'd say do something about the sandbaggers who dump games this way. Someone mentioned the 'rating floor' concept once.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 00:471 edit
    Is it possible to have ratings for a game "locked" at the start of a game for the purpose of ratings calulation? I have had experince with players rated higher than me waiting until there rating is lower to resign for a loss.
    This has been discussed so many times. the previous posters, can probably copy and paste, from what they have said on the other occassions.

I am going to agree with you how ever, as it would be the only way, I am going to wind up with a 2000+ rating in the near future. 😉

EDIT:We best not hold our breaths though waiting for the change to take place. :'(
  4. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 01:11
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Mixo & FabianFnas already pointed out that if you go by the start rating, you could get some really weird scores.

... and anyway - if they nail you that often (7/8), why are you chasing a 'fluke' win so hard - seems you're being denied rating points that you didn't 'win' so much as your opponent 'lost'. Maybe if they hadn't been so upset over the games ...[text shortened]... ggers who dump games this way. Someone mentioned the 'rating floor' concept once.
    i agree with the problems of fixing it to the start and
    i would like the idea of ratings floors. The 7/8 thing was from joining some open banded tourns. And getting the same player in some open duels.
    Theres alot of maybes in your hypothisis.
  5. Gold Coast
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 02:16
    Another problem with ratings calculated at the start of the game is that on a big run of losses you could get to 0 so you can't play any more! Unless ratings can go -ve 😉.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree