1. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 17:552 edits
    Had a question/possible suggestion re: this topic when I noticed the previous closed thread. The banter certainly illustrates the pros and cons of the vacation setting and its apparent value or abuse.

In addition to the flag being displayed, could not an "Anticipated Return dd/mm/yy", or "Approx Return dd/mm/yy" be mandatory to accompany the flag and be displayed on the player's home page for other's information?

Also, if the player does not know of their possible availability during vacation, could not a check box option display a "Will Move as Able"-type note in company with their setting?

Maybe these options will provide info for other players, keep things moving, keep abuse of the setting down, and help abate frustration.

Ideas? 🙂
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 19:00
    Originally posted by Tango421
    Had a question/possible suggestion re: this topic when I noticed the previous closed thread. The banter certainly illustrates the pros and cons of the vacation setting and its apparent value or abuse.

In addition to the flag being displayed, could not an "Anticipated Return dd/mm/yy", or "Approx Return dd/mm/yy" be mandatory to accompany the flag and be ...[text shortened]... things moving, keep abuse of the setting down, and help abate frustration.

Ideas? 🙂
    Why does it matter?

When its your move the game is highlighted and the clock is ticking.

If its not your move who cares if the opponent will be back today, tomorrow or in 20 days? Their gametime still ticks down which is what is important.

What would you say if the player says he will not be back for 3 weeks, but decides to log on and makes some moves after a week?

Should he be punished or chastised?

What about a player who says he will move as often as he can, but doesn't move for the whole period on vacation?

Vacation time should be looked upon as no more than a player adding timebank to prevent themselves being timed out.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 20:01
    Vacation time should be looked upon as no more than a player adding timebank to prevent themselves being timed out.[/b]
    Information is always a good thing and eliminates questions - settles the mind.

"Vacation time should be...."
    Apparently, therein lies the problem for others - fair/unfair, right/wrong, abusive or not - not my call or opinion.

Again, I'm looking for information.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 20:10
    What would you say if the player says he will not be back for 3 weeks, but decides to log on and makes some moves after a week?

What about a player who says he will move as often as he can, but doesn't move for the whole period on vacation?

I don't believe that punishment or chastising is the issue. Options allow the players on vacation to better communicate with all of their games out of courtesy. Should plans or availability change there is enough built in flexibility to accommodate. It is for information only and not a commitment.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 20:15
    Me Again!

How about if you wish to challenge a particular player and note his vacation flag is up - I know you can drop him a note, but he will not receive it until he returns if fully away - and you can then accept or look for other games in the interim.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 10:04
    I don't believe that punishment or chastising is the issue. Options allow the players on vacation to better communicate with all of their games out of courtesy. Should plans or availability change there is enough built in flexibility to accommodate. It is for information only and not a commitment.
    I go on vacation for 21 days.

I say I will try and move as much as possible and hopefully at least every 3 days.

You now have that information, so are happy.

However, I subsequently decide

Not to move at all on vacation
    Come back from vacation after 2 weeks.

How has the information provided assisted you in any way? It hasn't!

You are thinking on the Tuesday that I should hopefully have made a move by Friday, it doesn't happen. It doesn't happen for the next 10 days either, so you are a little pissed off that I have said I will do something and then don't.

Again, the only thing that is relevant when playing your games is "is it my move or not?"
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 07:18
    All righty then. So I'll put you down for a "No" with the possibility of reconsidering at a later date (and a side note to not broach the subject again without backup!)...Check!

It's funny though, how asking for a courtesy is taken as an imposition or infringement on one's own mindset where no commitment or expectation is asked for or required. "Plans change. Hey - that's life. I hope you had a good break...."

Information, or the direction of intent, is a wonderful thing. Let's not stifle the choice of whether to use or not use freely given notice - again, out of courtesy to your opponents. Ignore the option if it serves you no purpose. Other's may find it helpful and useful.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 14:04
    If a user goes on vacation, and leaves a message saying they are working for NASA and going to the moon for 2 weeks how does this help you when they move tomorrow? You can move on vacation.

Will you take your games against vacationing players and ignore them on trusting their message and return time?

What is the sense in a message that doesn't arrive until the user returns? A user can easily return on a Thursday from vacation, start a game with you and book another week of vacation.

Why are you so afraid of vacations? Why do you feel the need for all these safety precautions when none will work? If a player is on vacation, there is no need for you to change how you play them. They may not move for 2 weeks, they may move in 10 minutes.

It's like keeping an inflatable boat in your car in case you drive into a river... only to drive off a cliff and realize you needed a parachute.

P-
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:18
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If a user goes on vacation, and leaves a message saying they are working for NASA and going to the moon for 2 weeks how does this help you when they move tomorrow? You can move on vacation.

Will you take your games against vacationing players and ignore them on trusting their message and return time?

What is the sense in a message that doesn't arriv ...[text shortened]... you drive into a river... only to drive off a cliff and realize you needed a parachute.

P-
    It appears Courtesy is an elusive concept to grasp for some people.

Plans change - it happens. My games are constantly reviewed on the "My Games" page. Should an opponent take longer or return earlier does not matter - their presence or absence will be noticed.

An opponent who openly says or posts that they are leaving for awhile - say two weeks - opens a line of communication to indicate their speed of game is somewhat changing, and may be slowed, but they will see what they can do - maybe they enjoy the game that much. I may be inclined to enter into short conversation with them at a later date. Out of my courtesy I may extend future timeouts to continue (but not in tournaments!)

I believe this to be a challenging, recreational site with a competitive spirit. No prizes are handed out - only e-pats on the back and personal satisfaction. No one here will graduate to a professional chess career where their impersonal skills are honed equal to their chess skills. Courtesy is part of the interaction between players - it helps in removing the distances and differences between players.

Why should I fear vacations? - more power to the player that goes on vacation to pursue other activities for a short while - I hope they enjoy themselves. I do not need safety precautions - I have not experienced vacation abuse as some say they have. The implementation of vacation notice enhancements by the developers only for the sake of safety precautions may look different than those for information and courtesy. It's not my place to decide that - only to suggest (I think that was the intent of this thread to begin with - to suggest). I'm just the idea guy - leave the details to the engineers.

Maybe the fellow who put the boat in the car should plan for all contingencies, know where they are going, or stay home.

So, I'll put you down for a "No" as well....check.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:56

In addition to the flag being displayed, could not an "Anticipated Return dd/mm/yy", or "Approx Return dd/mm/yy" be mandatory to accompany the flag and be ...[text shortened]... things moving, keep abuse of the setting down, and help abate frustration.

Ideas? 🙂
    The problem with these ideas is many users are not courteous, and some are even filthy liars.

We do already have a message we can leave while vacationing for all to see, but who says the info is true.

Russ could 'force' users to show their return date, but next you'll have tons of complaints in these forums about a guy who said he should be back in 10 days only to move 3 days later. "I didn't notice and got timed out"!

Again, I ask what is the sense in showing information that is mis informative 90% of the time? It will generate problems, not solve problems.

P-
  11. e4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 23:15
    New Rule:

If flying the vac flag then you must supply proof you are on holiday.

Pictures of you carrying suitcases standing outside your house will not suffice.
    Nor will before and after pictures of you and your sun tan.

We want date stamped receipts from the airlines and hotels.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 00:39
    It's sad that the abuse of a few overshadows the good intents of the many. Those who seek good sportsmanship hopefully will not become too jaded, frustrated, and leave the site over the practices of others.

I do suppose there is the option of informing others of vacation time via their "My Profile - About..." description. For myself, as the situation arises, I will use this method to state my plans to the best of my knowledge - no guarantees given - no retributions taken.

I withdraw.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 01:15
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    We do already have a message we can leave while vacationing for all to see, but who says the info is true.

P-
    Mine is always true 😛

If you can read this then I am on a fake vacation
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 08:11
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Mine is always true 😛

[b]If you can read this then I am on a fake vacation
    [/b]
    Just a thought after taking a tour of your profile - Please review the Move Frequency description and options on your Profile Settings page (I invite all to do this as I believe each player has indicated one of the options on their page). In light of game time constraints, your move frequency is misleading but it is how you have chosen to present yourself. Others have accepted this inaccuracy or you would not have as many games under your belt as you have. If it was necessary to be fixed and accurate your game count would have to increase rapidly to achieve what you have. Should this feature be deemed inaccurate and unnecessary and therefore be eliminated? Why is this feature here? "...it is purely to indicate the possible rate of progress in a game." Selecting a move frequency must have irked you to no end. Is this still a thorn in your side - to have to comply with courtesy that has no apparent value? Kudos to the developer for including this feature.

Now substitute in the feature of an enhanced vacation setting - totally optional - but provided to indicate the possible rate of progress in a game. Just a thought.

I need to let go of this, don't I !!
    OK - I rant no more but it had to be said. Now done. Unless another opinion begs for a rebuttal....
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 12:31
    Just a thought after taking a tour of your profile - Please review the Move Frequency description and options on your Profile Settings page (I invite all to do this as I believe each player has indicated one of the options on their page). In light of game time constraints, your move frequency is misleading but it is how you have chosen to present yourself ...[text shortened]... ant no more but it had to be said. Now done. Unless another opinion begs for a rebuttal....
    My move frequency option is fine, why do you think otherwise. My rational behind ticking this option (which is a meaningless option IMHO) is that I am telling potential opponents that I will move at least weekly in our games.

As you have noted it means absolutely nothing based on my actual move frequency and as such is nothing more than an irrelevant tick box, much like the enhanced vacation option you require.

We must agree to disagree, I see no benefit in the tick boxes, you do.

If the idea comes to fruition then I will have to tick another irrelevant box with no meaning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree