Rec count

Rec count

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
24 Jul 08

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Between 1 day and never. 😛
That stinks, I think this deserves a response! Perhaps some of the reccing supporters should also send some feedback for this.

New rec count: 17

DS

Moves
25 Jul 08

Originally posted by PocketKings
That stinks, I think this deserves a response! Perhaps some of the reccing supporters should also send some feedback for this.

New rec count: 17
Good idea, I nearly suggested that meself. 🙂

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
27 Jul 08

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Good idea, I nearly suggested that meself. 🙂
Good 🙂 So hopefully you have done it.

DS

Moves
27 Jul 08
1 edit

Good 🙂 So hopefully you have done it.
FWIW yes. 🙄😉

R
Different

Moves
27 Jul 08

Originally posted by Palynka
No creepy looking girls are allowed. 😠
That's an excellent policy! If I see a creepy girl, I will let he know.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jul 08

Now that the forum tyrant has departed, it time to take them back.

The rec count must return, and the forums will live again!

FREEDOM!
In what ways was the old rec system different from the one we have today?

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
27 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
In what ways was the old rec system different from the one we have today?
It had freedom.

edit - as I can see from your avatar and info, you are up for a revolution.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jul 08

It had freedom.

edit - as I can see from your avatar and info, you are up for a revolution.
Freedom of what kind and to do what, as compared with the useful feature in place today?

Note: Tea Party's history. Ancestors did all the heavy lifting.

😉

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
28 Jul 08

Freedom of what kind and to do what, as compared with the useful feature in place today?

Note: Tea Party's history. Ancestors did all the heavy lifting.

😉
LOL, I used to teach American history.

GB, the old system had the freedom to rec whoever you wanted whenever you wanted with no limitations to how many you could use. It also had the rec count, which is the title of this thread. Under locaton, joined, and moves in the box next to your posts it also had "rec count," a running tab of the number of recs received since you joined.

The system today is not useful, trust me, the forums used to be much more entertaing under the old system.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jul 08

LOL, I used to teach American history.

GB, the old system had the freedom to rec whoever you wanted whenever you wanted with no limitations to how many you could use. It also had the rec count, which is the title of this thread. Under locaton, joined, and moves in the box next to your posts it also had "rec count," a running tab of the number of recs ...[text shortened]... oday is not useful, trust me, the forums used to be much more entertaing under the old system.
What provoked the change and why?

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
29 Jul 08

What provoked the change and why?
Oh boy, that's a loooooong story. Just throw your support behind me and all will be well 😉

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 08

Oh boy, that's a loooooong story. Just throw your support behind me and all will be well 😉
How about a two or three sentence top line executive summary.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Jul 08

How about a two or three sentence top line executive summary.
There was a user with fragile sensibilities, and no creativity at all that was unable to get a rec for anything. They assumed that people were only recommending the posts of their friends and whinged and cried until Russ had to shut them up by cutting back the number of recs any given user could give and remove the rec counting system for individuals.

P-

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
There was a user with fragile sensibilities, and no creativity at all that was unable to get a rec for anything. They assumed that people were only recommending the posts of their friends and whinged and cried until Russ had to shut them up by cutting back the number of recs any given user could give and remove the rec counting system for individuals.

P-
Thanks.

TC

Moves
30 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
Nothing could be more far from the truth. I guess, as they say, that the fact is really the fact plus its interpretation. 😛

At the time the system was on, the forum was much worse than it's today. Nowhere else could one notice that better than in the Help Forum. There, a bunch of hyenas waited till some novice on the site would make a question about something to start throwing insults and offensive comments in a competition for the recommendations.

Altough Red Night used to point out the absurd nature of the situation, I consider it insufficient to make Russ change the system. It's possible that some financial considerations came into the equation.

Finally, it's interesting, at least, the arguments of those who wish to see the old system back: (1) when demanding its return, they state that the forum was much more vivid and fun back then; but (2) when confronting someone who says that the end of the rec count has improved the forum, they say that nothing has changed, and the same things that were posted back then continue to be post today.