Recommendations

Recommendations

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
04 Nov 07

Originally posted by Nemesio
Meanwhile, stop whining so much about the old rec system
Nemesio
Hmmmm...that's an interesting thought.

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
04 Nov 07

see Thread 80090

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Nov 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
see Thread 80090
What has that thread got to do with this one?

Stop spamming!

D

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
04 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak

Stop spamming!

D
The recommendations of the first post

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
04 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak

Stop spamming!

D
Well said, Sir Spamalot.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
05 Nov 07

It would seem that we are intelligent enough and adult enough to work out our own take on bias. If an unlimited rec system including a personal rec count were reinstated, there really would not be a problem with abuse, because it would only take a reading of a sample of a high rec poster's thoughts on any subject, to quickly identify the quality of their work or the mechanism by which they received their recs anyway. Its a spurious argument to say that because a pack of mates would start a rec war, that somehow people would not work out that person x with 20,000 recs also didn't just talk a whole load of dingo excrement.

In some ways it becomes a quick identifier of who's who and whats what. A person with a huge rec count that only snipes and carps and is small minded and generally regressive allows their rec count to be a flag of their own negative mindlessness which then has a positive consequence of allowing other posters to not waste too much of their own valuable time getting lost inside of their dysfunction.

You only have to read a sample post of someone with a thousand recs to work out if its rubbish for you, to then be warned not to bother with their way of thinking much again. By the same token a person who may have a more modest rec count but who may post less frequently may be looked for by other members as worthy of following. I know from my own experience I hardly leave the debates forum, but when on occasion a poster came through and had a decent rec count and made a witty or insightful comment before disappearing out of debates, I would often follow just to check out some of their other 'work' which proved to be very entertaining and definitely enriched the experience of playing chess on RHP.

Bring back unlimited recs. Bring back our rec counters updated to reflect any rec we may ever have been awarded by our peers on this site, and let the small minded kill joys who struggle with the concept of freedom or originality of thought, be given a kick up the jacksy they so rightly deserve.

d

Moves
05 Nov 07

Since the rec system was changed, the site is completely the same. So who cares?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Nov 07

Originally posted by darvlay
Since the rec system was changed, the site is completely the same. So who cares?
Evidently, many people do. So not all of them agree that the site is exactly the same.

d

Moves
05 Nov 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Evidently, many people do. So not all of them agree that the site is exactly the same.
Not many. Just a handful.

And I challenge you to show me how exactly this site is different. I've been posting for four years and only the names of the posters have changed in that time.

Shavixmir doesn't post his made-up stories anymore.
Xanthos doesn't troll the forums with wise ass remarks.

Big loss.

Different idiots post made-up stories and different chubby-chasers post wise ass remarks. Same crap, different smell. The only one I miss is Bowmann.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Nov 07

And I challenge you to show me how exactly this site is different. I've been posting for four years and only the names of the posters have changed in that time.

Big loss.

Different idiots post made-up storie ...[text shortened]... -chasers post wise ass remarks. Same crap, different smell. The only one I miss is Bowmann.
Well said.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Nov 07

Big loss.

Different idiots post made-up storie ...[text shortened]... -chasers post wise ass remarks. Same crap, different smell. The only one I miss is Bowmann.
The fact that most suggestions regarding recs are recced is evidence towards the fact that people care.

I don't see many people reccing those that argue that everything is fine. That's more evidence towards the fact that less people believe things should be kept the same.

And if you were really indifferent, then you would shut up and let the people who care about this issue discuss it.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Nov 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Well said.
If you agree that things haven't changed, then why do you argue against re-installing the previous system?

d

Moves
05 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
The fact that most suggestions regarding recs are recced is evidence towards the fact that people care.

I don't see many people reccing those that argue that everything is fine. That's more evidence towards the fact that less people believe things should be kept the same.

And if you were really indifferent, then you would shut up and let the people who care about this issue discuss it.
It's evidence that 10 people care and it's barely that. And no one is stopping you from discussing the issue, so feel free to gad on hopelessly about it.

I think it's funny that you of all people are taking this stance that the number of (or lack of) recs is some form of substantial evidence.

d

Moves
05 Nov 07

Palynka, maybe if you had subscribed all those years we told you to, you wouldn't be begging for more recs now, would you?

You have only yourself to blame. 😏

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Nov 07

It's evidence that 10 people care and it's barely that. And no one is stopping you from discussing the issue, so feel free to gad on hopelessly about it.

I think it's funny that you of all people are taking this stance that the number of (or lack of) recs is some form of substantial evidence.
What else could be evidence besides the fact that these threads are recurring and always get to the top of the rec list?

This thread is just one of a long list about these changes. Most of them were started by different persons and certainly more than ten different posters started threads about it. This was just Nemesio's turn.

People used to rec this type of threads much more in the past. Now it's down to 10 because many people got discouraged by the total lack of feedback from the site regarding this issue.

I don't think the rec count has any substantial value, but I do think that they encouraged people to try a bit harder with their posts. After all, it's a better way of getting some feedback from the people who appreciated reading your post than waiting for "lulz" or "hahaha", "lol", etc.