1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 08:12
    "Sorry, the recommended posts of the week are currently not available."

This has been down for (seemingly) months. Any idea when it'll be back up and running?
  2. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 08:20
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

This has been down for (seemingly) months. Any idea when it'll be back up and running?
    Maybe next week...?
    Maybe when someone posts something really (REALLY) worth reccing?
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 09:351 edit
    Having a recommendation system is completely pointless without somewhere to read them.

edit; some say having a recommendation system at all is completely pointless.

It would be handy if it was used properly though.
  4. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 11:06

god play some chess on the site instead its much better
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 13:51
    There could be a limited number of recs that a person can give out during any given period, that way people may think twice before reccing some token comment or pure crap. Probably been mentioned on here before mind.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 14:22
    ..i would have given you a rec for this post but i have already handed
    out 40 and i have only been on line for 3 hours...sorry...
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 20:46
    Originally posted by smiffy
    god play some chess on the site instead its much better
    God, stay off the forums if you find them so inferior.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 20:52
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Having a recommendation system is completely pointless without somewhere to read them.

edit; some say having a recommendation system at all is completely pointless.

It would be handy if it was used properly though.
    To me, the 'recs of the week' page was helpful in finding interesting threads. This was the one thing that actually made recs useful.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 21:13
    To me, the 'recs of the week' page was helpful in finding interesting threads. This was the one thing that actually made recs useful.
    I agree completely.
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 12:11
    I'm just guessing because no one has said, but there was a problem with the site slowing down for some of the people. I am wondering if Russ shut the recomended posts area down to help stop some of the extra hits the site was taking. I mean ever time a page refreshes it slows the site down am I right? I am thinking he might have done that to help him with the excessive server load. I may be totally off the mark but if it helped him in that way, I can't blame him. And then again it could be something else altogether.
  11. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 14:33
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I'm just guessing because no one has said, but there was a problem with the site slowing down for some of the people. I am wondering if Russ shut the recomended posts area down to help stop some of the extra hits the site was taking. I mean ever time a page refreshes it slows the site down am I right? I am thinking he might have done that to help him wi ...[text shortened]... lped him in that way, I can't blame him. And then again it could be something else altogether.
    Yeah, like, every time someone posts something it slows down the site, right?
    And everytime someone rec's a post, it slows down the site...
    And everytime someone moves or looks at a game it slows down the site...
    And everytime someone reads a new post, it slows down the site...
    Maybe we shouldn't read so much, or write so much.

No, don't answer that question, and I won't read the answer if you do write one, but you can rec me if you want...
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 15:17
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I'm just guessing because no one has said, but there was a problem with the site slowing down for some of the people. I am wondering if Russ shut the recomended posts area down to help stop some of the extra hits the site was taking. I mean ever time a page refreshes it slows the site down am I right? I am thinking he might have done that to help him wi ...[text shortened]... lped him in that way, I can't blame him. And then again it could be something else altogether.
    My guess is Russ got tired of the top post being a sexual post, or crushing insult. Take a look at some of the users that have the most posts... I had to kill a man in Reno just to get a rec once.

P-
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 16:14
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    My guess is Russ got tired of the top post being a sexual post, or crushing insult. Take a look at some of the users that have the most posts... I had to kill a man in Reno just to get a rec once.

P-
    I'll give you another one if you do his missus too 😉
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 16:26
    My guess is Russ got tired of the top post being a sexual post, or crushing insult.
    My guess is that Russ never bothered putting the feature back after the 'recs in Private Clan Forum' problem.
  15. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 18:21
    My guess is Russ got tired of the top post being a sexual post, or crushing insult.
    My guess is that Russ has stopped the recommended list because of Serendipity and the rec-whoring for politeness campain....

.... actually that sounds like a story that the News Of The World would be interested in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree