1. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:07
    Now we have the rec limit so they will only be given for a very good post why not allow us to use them in our clan forums... I love chatting with the clan guys and would also love the chance to rec some of the great contributions and comments they have made. if I choose to use my 10 in this way, why not?
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:12
    Originally posted by horsey
    Now we have the rec limit so they will only be given for a very good post why not allow us to use them in our clan forums... I love chatting with the clan guys and would also love the chance to rec some of the great contributions and comments they have made. if I choose to use my 10 in this way, why not?
    If a post received lots of recs in the private forums and was on the first page of the recommended posts list the whole thread would still be unreadable and hence probably meaningless to others.
  3. Joined
    12 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:18
    i can see where you're coming from in your suggestion but as Dr Strangelove pointed out in the recom posts it'll be confusing to others. Also this will also have the potential to cause friction between clans on wrecking sprees (i.e. one member of a clan getting all the recs from their fellow clan members). Then we could find ourself in the same position we were before.
  4. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:21
    Bad move, open to abuse.
  5. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:57
    I don't usually give recs, and never more than a couple of them a month, so a limit of 10 a month doesn't really bother me. I never got many recs myself, so getting lots of recs doesn't bother me, either. I only just hit triple figures in little more than a year, so I got an average of maybe 8 a month.

But now I've got 10 a month to use, if I find a post I really like, can I give it more than one rec?

Or how about whether I can rec my own posts?

I mean, they are mine to use as I want, aren't they?
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 00:14
    Originally posted by c99ux
    I don't usually give recs, and never more than a couple of them a month, so a limit of 10 a month doesn't really bother me. I never got many recs myself, so getting lots of recs doesn't bother me, either. I only just hit triple figures in little more than a year, so I got an average of maybe 8 a month.

But now I've got 10 a month to use, if I find a post I ...[text shortened]... out whether I can rec my own posts?

I mean, they are mine to use as I want, aren't they?
    You better check yourself, before you rec yourself.

P-
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 00:17
    Bad idea... Somone might rec a post in my forum, and things in my forum have no place on a list of good posts. This goes for other clans I know of.

P-
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 23:15
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Bad idea... Somone might rec a post in my forum, and things in my forum have no place on a list of good posts.

P-
    Or, indeed, any place in civilised society.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 00:18
    Another problem could be, if you quoted someone else and your post was in the rec list, the quote would be there too - maybe not with the other persons consent.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 17:15
    I still like the idea 😛
  11. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 20:35
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    If a post received lots of recs in the private forums and was on the first page of the recommended posts list the whole thread would still be unreadable and hence probably meaningless to others.
    It doesn't have to be put up on the Recommended list.

How about a private forum only recommended list, to mirror the public forum ones? For our forum, where we have over 120 threads going, it would enable members to see which posts have been thought to be worth reading by others...

Also, the 'rec' counter is merely a view to see whether someone else thought that person's comments are worthy - so this could continue to accumulate.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 22:37
    I still like the idea 😛
    They would be called Public Forums and not Private Forums if you could read from any one of them. So, again.... bad idea.

P-
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 00:13
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    It doesn't have to be put up on the Recommended list.

I don't get it.
    Who are you recommending it to then??
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 02:03
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I don't get it.
    Who are you recommending it to then??
    He's not recommending it to anyone.

He's using the recs the way most mmebers do, as a way to keep score; as a trophy.
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 05:21
    Originally posted by Red Night
    He's not recommending it to anyone.

He's using the recs the way most mmebers do, as a way to keep score; as a trophy.
    No that's just your clan.