1. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 18:11
    Well, a lot people like to use databases and books for correspondence chess. Would it be a good idea for RHP made there own database of some of the games played on this site. i mean, i know you can look up other players games, but why not make a section so that you can look up games w/ a certain opening and so on. Just a thought...

trstewie
  2. Belfast
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 00:59
    Originally posted by trstewart88
    Well, a lot people like to use databases and books for correspondence chess. Would it be a good idea for RHP made there own database of some of the games played on this site. i mean, i know you can look up other players games, but why not make a section so that you can look up games w/ a certain opening and so on. Just a thought...

trstewie
    Yea! Gameknot has one like that!

Red Hot Pawn is better than Gameknot, right?

(I wonder if Russ will fall for the ploy)😉
  3. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 04:45
    Originally posted by lukemcmullan
    Yea! Gameknot has one like that!

Red Hot Pawn is better than Gameknot, right?

(I wonder if Russ will fall for the ploy)😉
    Well, I don't know too much about Gameknot because I've never played there. Since I've been here though I've seen many threads where people are asking about databases and I'm sure there are many strong players here use them. At the same time there are many people here that don't have the option of using a database or not because they don't have one. If there was one here then people couldn't complain about playing against others who have databases because then they have the option to either use a database or not.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 04:51
    If you want to effectively use a database you need it to contain a lot of high quality games (between very good players). RHP has around 1.7 million games played but many of those are not games you would want in any database you use to make decisions.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 10:21
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If you want to effectively use a database you need it to contain a lot of high quality games (between very good players). RHP has around 1.7 million games played but many of those are not games you would want in any database you use to make decisions.
    I disagree.

But rating of players MUST be a optional search parameter.

D
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 10:23
    Originally posted by trstewart88
    At the same time there are many people here that don't have the option of using a database or not because they don't have one. If there was one here then people couldn't complain about playing against others who have databases because then they have the option to either use a database or not.
    www.chesslive.de
    http://www.chesslab.com/PositionSearch.html

There you go. The reason to have a RHP database, isn't for finding the best moves in an opening, IMO. I think it'd be more useful for researching specific opponents, and what openings they appear strong/weak at.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree